Best tool for the Job

Sigma 180mm macro on Canon 80D.  Old (pre OS), heavy, tripod use only but my go to for plant portraits where I can use support.  With 1.4x teleconverter for extra reach when I need it.  Can't beat the clean backgrounds.  Bought 2nd hand quite cheaply and has repaid the investment many times over.

Canon 24-105. It's THE perfect walkabout lens for a stock photographer. I take 95% of my photos with it. One of several reasons why I haven't ditched full-frame DSLR for mirrorless as so many have, and continue to put my shoulder through hell,  is because of the difficulty of finding a lens that can match its quality and versatility.

Alan

12 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

Canon 24-105. It's THE perfect walkabout lens for a stock photographer. I take 95% of my photos with it. One of several reasons why I haven't ditched full-frame DSLR for mirrorless as so many have, and continue to put my shoulder through hell,  is because of the difficulty of finding a lens that can match its quality and versatility.

Alan

+1.

4 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Alan

The Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G is excellent. No need to stick with Canon just for that lens.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/02/mtf-tests-of-the-sony-fe-24-105mm-f4-oss/

I own quite a few lenses and the best one for the job or stock shoot may be very wide or very telephoto (or even macro).  But the lens that I used most would have to be my Nikon 24-70 f2.8.  A nice range of zoom and very sharp.

Afraid I do not have a favourite lens, just use what is needed when it is needed. Could be any of the following selection.

Lens FE24-70mm

FE

f4 ZA OSS

Lens FE70-200mm

FE

f4 G OSS

Lens FE90mm

FE

f2.8 Macro G OSS

Lens FE16-35mm

FE

f4 ZA OSS

Lens FE 50mm

FE

f1.8

Plus my Sony RX100 mk3.

Allan

5 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

The Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G is excellent. No need to stick with Canon just for that lens.

Yes, I've seen very good reports for that lens. The problem for me is that if I went mirrorless it would be to save a lot of weight so I would be looking at probably a Fuji and as far as I can see there's no 16-70 or 16-80 equivalent.

Alan

15 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I own quite a few lenses and the best one for the job or stock shoot may be very wide or very telephoto (or even macro).  But the lens that I used most would have to be my Nikon 24-70 f2.8.  A nice range of zoom and very sharp.

+1. That lens is on my bodies 70% of the time.  I love it.

12 hours ago, Matthew Johnson said:

Wow! A lot of people really like the 24-70 and 24-105 lenses. Is buying the f/2.8 versions over the f/4 worth all the extra cash? My favorites arethe Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and the canon 70-200 f/4.

I have never used the larger apertures on my lenses in the past so when I bought into Sony I plumped for the f4's.

The 90mm lens is f2.8 I grant you but that was bought second hand for a good price and Sony do not make it in f4.

The 50mm lens is f1.8 and I bought it new for a specific purpose but not at f1.8.

These lenses are used on a A7II but spend a lot of time on A6000 bodies too giving extended range when needed.

Allan

The fixed 23mm f2 attached to the Fujifilm x100, after many years lacking photographic inspiration or excitement that little camera and lens combo got my juices flowing again. So im forever indebted to it plus love the 23mm ( 35mm equiv ) for street, landscape and generally. 

On 26/07/2018 at 20:58, Inchiquin said:

Yes, I've seen very good reports for that lens. The problem for me is that if I went mirrorless it would be to save a lot of weight so I would be looking at probably a Fuji and as far as I can see there's no 16-70 or 16-80 equivalent.

Alan

I did exactly that because my neck and shoulders are shot to hell from an old whiplash injury.

I love my Fujis (an X Pro and a teency X-A2 i almost bought as a toy and now end up using most of the time) but you're so right about the lenses. I spend a LOT of time faffing between the 18mm , 35mm and the 55-200. Having said that, as i'd ground to a halt with taking my big old Canon setup out with me almost ever, I am still getting 100% more shots than I would have with a camera left at home in the cupboard :D

On 7/31/2018 at 15:48, KateR said:

I did exactly that because my neck and shoulders are shot to hell from an old whiplash injury.

I've staved off the fateful day for a little while longer by getting a tensioned strap for my camera bag, but it's only a matter of time...

Meanwhile I continue to give thanks for the existence of the 24-105! That extra 4mm makes SO much difference.

Alan

6 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

I've staved off the fateful day for a little while longer by getting a tensioned strap for my camera bag, but it's only a matter of time...

Meanwhile I continue to give thanks for the existence of the 24-105! That extra 4mm makes SO much difference.

Alan

Wow, I didn't know there was a 24-101 lens on the market!!! :P

On 26/07/2018 at 23:07, Matthew Johnson said:

Wow! A lot of people really like the 24-70 and 24-105 lenses. Is buying the f/2.8 versions over the f/4 worth all the extra cash? My favorites arethe Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and the canon 70-200 f/4.

Even if you never use f2.8, the extra stop can make a difference shooting in low light, as the view through the viewfinder will be brighter for one thing. It may also enable better autofocusing in low light. As far as Nikon lenses are concerned, they have been upgrading the f.2.8 zooms with better focus tracking, image stabilisation and in some cases optical quality (with a big price kick as well) but as far as I know the equivalent f4 zooms have not yet been upgraded (I may be wrong on this). 

On 26/07/2018 at 23:07, Matthew Johnson said:

I'm not sure it is - the 2.8 versions are often nearly twice the cost, and much heavier. They also often do not have Image Stabilisation which the f4 versions frequently have so on balance, easier focussing in darker places accepted, I am inclined to stick with the f4 versions

Kumar

My 80-200 f2.8 especially was so heavy that I often didn't bother bringing it. I sold it and got the 70-200 f4. Plus, as Doc says, I get image stabilisation. My D750 is superb at focussing in the dark, so I have no regrets at all

On 26/07/2018 at 20:58, Inchiquin said:

Alan

Fuji have announced a 16-80mm F4 lens with OIS will be available sometime in 2019, will be interested in that one myself (existing Fujifilm user).

Archived