Usage: Novel Use deal, Magazine, print and online, single use, any size inside, 250,000 circulation, UK, Magazine, print and online, single use, any size inside, 250,000 circulation, UK 
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Industry sector: Government (local, regional, national)
Print run: up to 250,000
Image Size: Any size

Fee: very small (I did that bit)

Firstly I thought Novel Use was dead.

Secondly, when it did exist I was under the impression it was for odd individual licenses that didn't cover normal uses - eg  magazines with 1/4 million circulation

Novel use is still going, you have to opt out if you don’t want your images to be included.

Having said that, an image of ours was ‘mistakenly’ included in a batch of novel use sales. When I brought this to the attention of Alamy they kindly refunded me their commission......😏

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

Novel use is still going, you have to opt out if you don’t want your images to be included.

Having said that, an image of ours was ‘mistakenly’ included in a batch of novel use sales. When I brought this to the attention of Alamy they kindly refunded me their commission......😏

Whether it's still going or not, it was designed for people to put photos on fridge magnets or reference works for art students - not high circulation Government magazines

That is a disgrace, no wonder people are talking about not uploading anymore.

In contrast I had 2 last month as follows.

Usage: Direct mail and brochures ;  
Media: Promotional brochures/ leaflets/inserts ;  
Industry Sector: Government (local, regional, national) ;  
Print run: up to 10,000 ;  Placement: Inside ;

Start: 06-June-2018 ; End: 06-June-2023 ;

Both for just under $$$

I am not and never have been in the novel use scheme.

1 hour ago, BobD said:

That is a disgrace, no wonder people are talking about not uploading anymore.

Talk is cheap. Some members of this forum have been talking for years about not uploading, but surprise, surprise, keep on uploading.

2 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Talk is cheap. Some members of this forum have been talking for years about not uploading, but surprise, surprise, keep on uploading.

Maybe not stop uploading but certainly opt out of the give it away schemes.

I remember when NU was first introduced how some people defended 99c licences as additional income that wouldn't have been had if not opted in, completely overlooking the bigger picture. 

Somewhere along the line there has to be a line in the sand, I have set my line as when the average gross licence fee over a year drops below my lower limit I WILL stop uploading. It came very close last year but I have to say that this year so far the average fees are running at nearly double last years, so there is a little bit of hope (for me at least ) that the decline has abated. 

I remember in my working days we had a saying, ' If you pay peanuts you get monkeys'. In this industry perhaps the saying should be reversed, ' If you accept peanuts you will be treated like a monkey '.

On 7/14/2018 at 07:36, Phil Robinson said:

Usage: Novel Use deal, Magazine, print and online, single use, any size inside, 250,000 circulation, UK, Magazine, print and online, single use, any size inside, 250,000 circulation, UK 
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Industry sector: Government (local, regional, national)
Print run: up to 250,000
Image Size: Any size

Fee: very small (I did that bit)

Firstly I thought Novel Use was dead.

Secondly, when it did exist I was under the impression it was for odd individual licenses that didn't cover normal uses - eg  magazines with 1/4 million circulation

I had exactly the same on Friday 

One of the reasons I opted out of NU a few years ago was because I was seeing what looked to me like regular editorial use licenses at super low prices. It would be enlightening to know what makes these sales "novel."

No plans to stop uploading here. Alamy is still the best place in town IMO.

Because this is an open forum and publicly displaying very low fees could lead to buyers seeing how low prices can go. Not everyone subscribes to this idea but quite a few do, including me. Buyers already have almost all of the negotiating power, no need to give them any more

3 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

Because this is an open forum and publicly displaying very low fees could lead to buyers seeing how low prices can go. Not everyone subscribes to this idea but quite a few do, including me. Buyers already have almost all of the negotiating power, no need to give them any more

The buyer is not in charge of the fee if they buy here. Alamy is or YOU are. I can't see the problem (and I've been doing this for a VERY long time).

5 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

The buyer is not in charge of the fee if they buy here. Alamy is or YOU are.

Not really so.

True, Alamy sets the price, and can choose to whom they discount ... and heavily discount.

True, we can opt out of UKNS, NU and distribution.

But there are some pretty low 'regular' sales with very wide, almost-RF licences. We can't protect our images (if we sell here, and this is an Alamy forum, so that's what we're talking about), no matter how rare, from buyer discounts and very broad usage.

And the buyers can always decide to go somewhere cheaper, satisficing if necessary.

1 hour ago, Steve Valentia said:

The buyer is not in charge of the fee if they buy here. Alamy is or YOU are. I can't see the problem (and I've been doing this for a VERY long time).

Buyer A sees that buyer B has been granted a heavily discounted price, buyer A says "oi, I'll have what he's having". Going by my selling prices buyers A through Z have worked that move!

I am not signed up to personal use or novel use, and still I recently had a sale for c$6 nett for an aerial shot with  ridiculously long licence period. Surely Alamy should have a way of noting special content i.e aerial, Inside coal mines etc that is both limited in supply and access. Thereby getting a realistic price for all involved

1 hour ago, isphoto said:

I am not signed up to personal use or novel use, and still I recently had a sale for c$5 for an aerial shot with  ridiculously long licence period. Surely Alamy should have a way of noting special content i.e aerial, Inside coal mines etc that is both limited in supply and access. Thereby getting a realistic price for all involved

Increased prices based on rarity disappeared long ago. Sales have been based on square footage for some time now with a little increase for print run. The big agencies over huge discounts for volume but there are only 2 winners there!!-it aint you or I! many years ago the argument put forward by buyers and agencies to me was that if its rare you will licence it more often so I tended to only sell those directly to a customer.

Archived