Just thought I'd start a new topic where  users can discuss changes to the forum layout and how things may now be done differently. A dedicated thread saves hijacking other discussions.

I'm not too keen on change generally, what was good enough for my father's father's father etc... So I'll leave it to others to highlight those things which really irritate. Over to you...:)

http string under forum contributor details needs sorting out Alamy. Space after ‘Location’. Space after ‘Images:’ Space after ‘Joined Alamy:’

Also a ‘Not Found’ error when I click on number of images (highlighted in blue).

My goodness. I was off doing something else and just got a little notification in the bottom corner of the screen when someone gave  me a greenie. Too much interaction? Also, not sure if I like the list of users showing what everyone is doing on the forum at any given time. Sometimes I like to lurk without being seen, even when I'm logged in.

Thanks for the greenie though. One day I might have a reputation worthy of the name.:)

When trying to give a greenie I got the message "You are not allowed to give reputation to this user." Either another bug, or you now need a certain number of posts under your belt before you can rate others.

Edit: looks like it may have been applied regardless of the message.

5 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I couldn't see a section in my profile for viewing where my reds and greens came from, but I may have just not found it yet.

Geoff.

Any red or green arrows are now listed at the end of each post in your profile. I think they are still anonymous.

I agree that it would have been better to spend time fixing other problems rather than playing around with the forum and creating new ones.

I don't know, Alamy seem to be introducing change for change's sake. First AIM and now the Forum - neither of which have improved.

John.

3 minutes ago, Stokie said:

I don't know, Alamy seem to be introducing change for change's sake. First AIM and now the Forum - neither of which have improved.

John.

I personally have no problem with the change to the forum and think it looks ok.....but I have a big problem with the new AIM ! I have a folder of pix that I'm not sure will ever be uploaded as I really do not like the new AIM. I appreciate that many people live in a world of hashtags and are happy with the change....but many of us, myself included, believe in kiss....Keep It Simple Stupid.....and would have liked to see the option of being able to continue using the old key wording system.....

My profile now tells me that I last "Won the day" on May 24th! On that day I apparently had the most "liked" content. It looks like we are now in a competition to see who can acquire the most greenies in a day ? 

10 minutes ago, Stokie said:

John.

To be fair to Alamy on this, they don't write the forum software. This is provided by "Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc." according to the bottom of the page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc. quite possibly only support a certain number of versions and Alamy might have needed to upgrade in order to maintain support and to get security updates.

Click on the images under your name and "error 404" - I.e impossible to view your images on line with a page layout

No alphabetical link for members

13 minutes ago, Simon Evans said:

My profile now tells me that I last "Won the day" on May 24th! On that day I apparently had the most "liked" content. It looks like we are now in a competition to see who can acquire the most greenies in a day ? 

A strong and stable leaderboard is required. But who will be the overall Supreme Leader? The race is on with SShep nudging ahead of Lisa by a short head.

Don't like this layout and too much not working, just like search engine and MI.

Back to the old layout please.

Allan

PS: Where is the "SEARCH BOX" which used to be top right of the page? I found it very useful myself. What about others?

I emailed contributor relations a few hours ago about the bugs in the updated forum.  They said they are urgently working on getting it fixed, and that it wasn't supposed to be released yet.

Maria

Have all links changed?

This one doesn't work anymore:

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums

Any reason I'm typing double line height? Will this show up as single or double?

I'm missing some icons as well: where's the insert image?

Aha it's outside of the box at the end of the message. Looks like it the same UX team we have seen before somewhere.

Arterra and Jeff will miss their colors. ;-)

wim

edit: So it shows up as double line height.

For single line height just use Shift Return.

Definitely the same team.

No way to see ones own reputation btw.

8 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Have all links changed?

This one doesn't work anymore:

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums

Any reason I'm typing double line height? Will this show up as single or double?

I'm missing some icons as well: where's the insert image?

Aha it's outside of the box at the end of the message. Looks like it the same UX team we have seen before somewhere.

Arterra and Jeff will miss their colors. ;-)

wim

edit: So it shows up as double line height.

For single line height just use Shift Return.

Definitely the same team.

No way to see ones own reputation btw.

Making extra work - AGAIN.

Allan

Alamy actually gave me a call in response to my earlier post above.

Alamy's forum's are managed by a third party provider. Unfortunately the provider upgraded the forum prematurely and ironically have managed to block Alamy from logging into and posting in the forum themselves. Alamy are working with the provider to get issues fixed as a matter or urgency. 

Alamy are also tweeting words to this effect for anyone on Twitter.

So I think we just have to bare with things while Alamy work with the forum provider to get issues resolved.

I'm not against change either, but the changes have got to be for the good in the long run.

I know it can take a while to get used to anything new, but with AIM it has been poorly thought through. If Alamy had kept the functionality of the old version but added extra features then I think everyone would have been happy. As it is, a lot of the things which were simple in the old version either takes a lot of extra work, or simply can not be done at all.

It seems as if Alamy are always in a rush to implement these changes without thorough testing, despite what they say.

John.

48 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Thank you. I gave you a red and then cancelled it with a green.  :)  Maybe now admin can go back and undo all the reds they gave many of us when they first introduced AIM and we dared to complain? Just a thought.  ;)

Geoff.

I'm not against reds nor greens. Complaints? Hmm. ;-)
No reds or greens underneath my post at this moment, so the cancellation worked.
That Shift-Return is annoying.

wim

Archived