NEX-6 Problem

Normally the aperture is changed by rotating the wheel on the back of the camera body.

I have the Sony 10-18 zoom attached. I can't move off of f/4. Any one familiar with this problem?

I shoot on A, but when I move to another setting, I still can't change the f/stop. (I do not have another lens handy.) 

Thanks, Edo

Thanks for responding, John. I know you have a 6.

I've done all the normal things one does to jump start a system: removed and replace the lens, the battery, the card. I've changed modes, done test shooting, and walking through all the menu items. Nothing has helped. 

:(

I have, Bryan. I've done all the standard things to get these two items talking to one and other again, but so far no good. The 10-18 works on my NEX-3, but not on my NEX-7. Hmm. 

And I may not have made it clear, but I am able to shoot with the NEX-6 and the 10-18 zoom. The only thing I can't do is adjust the aperture. That makes me think that I have something set up incorrectly . . . but I can't figure it out.

I have that Sigma 19mm, too, Bryan--a good lens. (It's around here somewhere.)

Thanks for the suggestion.

"The only thing I can't do is adjust the aperture. That makes me think that I have something set up incorrectly . . . but I can't figure it out." -- me

Problem solved. Nothing wrong with the cameras or lenses.

Philippe and Allan and all: thank you for the very good suggestions. Unfortunatly, you were underestimating my stupidity. I have three NEX models, 3, 6, and 7. The controls are different on each. Without going into painful step-by-step detail . . . I was turning the wrong wheel. On the NEX-3 you turn one wheel, on the 6 and 7 you turn a different wheel.  :wacko: 

All's well that ends well, someone once wrote.  :) 

Yeah, but the frustration, meanwhile, can be extreme. I hate it when I do that. And I do it more often than I should.

You know me, Ed. Tech and I aren't even kissing cousins. Glad you got it sorted.

Years ago when we owned horses, I tried to untangle the reins and bit before saddling up Torchy. I turned that mess this way and that, until I had a meltdown. My 12 year old daughter said, "Let me, Mom."

She took it, went flip, flip and it was done. I didn't know whether to hug her or slap her for making me feel stupid. :D Of course, I'm kidding, I hugged her.

Betty

In film days, I was in control of the camera. Too often now days, I feel that these digital cameras are in control of me. I have no use or need for all the endless number of optional controls. When I'm shooting, I want to be dealing with the subject. My film Nikons had plain prisms, without a light meter. I could accurately guess the exposure. When I started to use both Nikon SLRs and Leica Ms, it drove me nuts that they focused in different directions. 

Of course there is a lot of things I love about digital . . . but some things I hate. 

Horses are good animals, but like parrots they sometimes bite.  :o

In film days, I was in control of the camera. Too often now days, I feel that these digital cameras are in control of me. I have no use or need for all the endless number of optional controls. When I'm shooting, I want to be dealing with the subject. My film Nikons had plain prisms, without a light meter. I could accurately guess the exposure. When I started to use both Nikon SLRs and Leica Ms, it drove me nuts that they focused in different directions. 

Of course there is a lot of things I love about digital . . . but some things I hate. 

Horses are good animals, but like parrots they sometimes bite.  :o

Oh, yes. Bob's horse was a biter wannabe. But she usually drew her lips back before slowly snaking her head back and opening wide. She telegraphed her intentions. Never did get us. But she did get Bob's elbow in her tender nose.

I got kicked, not bitten. By our stallion who hated all women before we bought him. Ouch. In the thigh. But the interior bleeding drained to my knee and that's what appeared swollen, black and blue. Later we sold him after he cornered me and tried to kill me.

Good thing I love animals. Uh...or is it?

Horses, I keep well out of their way. They're big and they don't appear to like cyclists.  :huh:

Re the wrong dial, for many years I used Canon cameras, I've had 4 of their DSLRs, and, once upon a time, could probably control my 5D blindfolded. However, after moving over to the NEX I have hardly touched the Canon, and when I do pick it I find myself almost helpless. OK, I know that you have to press the shutter release, but viewing the shots, changing the mode of operation etc, it's all a mystery. Probably something to do with my advancing years.......

Archived