Adobe RGB or sRGB

Yes. :-|

The good way of course is: convert from one color space to another.

The bad way is: strip the color profile. Or: strip the color profile and attach the sRGB profile.

A lot of automated content management systems (CMS) operate like that.

There have been some complaints over time about the thumbnails being too punchy or too saturated, those could usually be traced back to user input: Either wrong working space in Photoshop or wrong monitor calibration.

-But not all; some have remained unsolved. And some of those were mine. ;-)

wim

I use RGB all the time. The only exception is when I'm posting an image on the Web. Then I convert RGB to sRGB. Personally, I don't notice a lot of difference between the two, at least not with my images. I'm not big on the super-saturated look, and I think that most saturation adjustment is best done by the end-user.

• 2 years later...

Since this is an old thread, I am asking just to make sure things are still the same.

In my old agency, all my images look dull and pale when I uploaded them as Adobe RGB, so everybody uploads there as sRGB´s.

Now, if I got this right, its better to upload Adobe RGB here in Alamy

The file will be converted by Alamy to sRGB so it looks nice on any browser, but the customer will end up receiving an image in Adobe RGB that has a wider color profile that´s better for printing and other uses.

Am I correct?

I (still) upload in aRGB to Alamy. I have the same problem with pale looking images at another site with aRGB, even though I think they still officially prefer aRGB. It is a mess, but I think my images look better at Alamy in aRGB:

Quite interesting to see whether something has changed among Alamy photographers in the last two years.

Almost three years later.  ;-)

I still upload in in aRGB, but in IE and in Chrome (now the most widely used browser) the reds and blues in my images on Alamy look way to saturated. Only Firefox has proper color management and my images only look right in Firefox (don't have Safari anymore). I wish there was a way of showing that here. The problem is really bad with wide-gamut monitors, which 5 years ago not a whole lot of people had. Now all monitors on the desks of image professionals are wide-gamut monitors.

Here's an older but still valid tutorial.

wim

• 11 months later...

And again a little kick...  :o

I just started to upload some pictures to Alamy, and by more time there are coming more questions. Now the RGB question. I noticed that the images I uploaded have no ICC-Profile, or let say a "not Calibrated" Profile.

I always take Raw photo's, do a little correction in DxO Optics Pro and save it as JPEG whit "Original" ICC-profile. This results in a "Not Calibrated" Profile.

Now is this good or should I always convert to Adobe-RGB?

Just made a test whit a photo and noticed that the exported Jpeg in Adobe-RGB and the "Not Calibrated" have the exact same file size 14.498KB. the sRGB is a little bit bigger: 15.472kb. Also made a RSWOP export: 37.536KB  :D

Also made an export as ProPhoto, 14,810 KB.

But I noticed, when locking at the Details Properties of the JPEG-files, at the ICC profiles, they are all "not calibrated" except of the sRGB file.

Also made an export as ProPhoto, 14,810 KB.

But I noticed, when locking at the Details Properties of the JPEG-files, at the ICC profiles, they are all "not calibrated" except of the sRGB file.

Looking at your portfolio, I think you need to focus initially on calibrating your monitor, getting your exposures right in camera and improving your post-processing in general rather than worrying about the colour space for export. A lot of your images are too dark suggesting your monitor is turned up too bright but I am also guessing that you are underexposing because you are allowing the sky to influence your meter readings. A lot of your images are also lacking in contrast. Check out the histograms and you will see what I mean. 

Exporting is the final step and I would suggest that AdobeRGB is best for submitting to Alamy. The experts say that ProPhoto is only really useful for 16-bit images which eliminates JPEGs as they are 8-bit only. Also images exported in ProPhoto color space can look very bad unless viewed in a color managed program.

Have to agree with MDM about your images being too dark.

Follow his advice.

Allan

Hmm.

Would someone kindly have a look at my recent ones? Maybe I need a recalibrate too.

They look fine to me Mark.

Have to agree with MDM about your images being too dark.

Follow his advice.

Allan

Hmm.

Would someone kindly have a look at my recent ones? Maybe I need a recalibrate too.

They look fine to me Mark.

I'm grateful.

Thanks for the info. I planned to get myself a Hardware Calibration tool, like the Datacolor Spyder. Tried to calibrate it whit my eyes, but I think I failed.

Can I simply exchange the already uploaded pictures, so that they hold the data? Or do I have to do it all over again?

Thanks for the info. I planned to get myself a Hardware Calibration tool, like the Datacolor Spyder. Tried to calibrate it whit my eyes, but I think I failed.

Can I simply exchange the already uploaded pictures, so that they hold the data? Or do I have to do it all over again?

I think you can do swap if you submit a new batch and then tell Alamy when you they have passed QC.

The new batch of images which have just come on look better because of the snow - they look more contrasty and they are going out to white (mainly in the sky) but I think the snow should be going to white as well suggesting again that you are underexposing a bit. The odd thing here is that there are no keywords or captions - that is really strange - another malfunction of the new IM perhaps? EDIT - there are captions when you hover over the images but nothing when you cliok through and no keywords visible.

Archived