I discontinued Novel Use last April after having a $1.00 gross sale to the Telegraph. The image was full page on their Web site, a really vivid reproduction. I suppose many newbies, and there are very very many newbies, would feel that was the beginning of something good. But it made me want to set fire to my collection and my equipment. Since April my sales are up, my prices are up and my rank is better. Getting screwed is not a good career choice. If I wanted to contribute to a micro agency I'd have done so. 

I discontinued Novel Use last April after having a $1.00 gross sale to the Telegraph. The image was full page on their Web site, a really vivid reproduction. I suppose many newbies, and there are very very many newbies, would feel that was the beginning of something good. But it made me want to set fire to my collection and my equipment. Since April my sales are up, my prices are up and my rank is better. Getting screwed is not a good career choice. If I wanted to contribute to a micro agency I'd have done so. 

+1 nothing else to add to that!

You should have reported them: this is not what Novel Use is for. It is for people who want your image on their coffee mug or on a personal postcard.

wim

Thanks, Duncan.

Wim, that's the first time I've ever heard that about Novel Use. I'm with FAA and Artflakes for those kind of sales. So you're saying that this might not be a NU sale, just a terrible price? Hmm. By the way, $1.00 was not the lowest price I've ever had . . . that was for .85 cents. I just looked up the $1.00 sale, which was in fact Novel Use Scheme 1. Maybe. I sold that image of gelato 4 times, so again maybe I have my facts wrong. 

Unlike you and many others I am only interested in two figures: number of sales and the prices paid. I don't chase down thieves or suggest new ways to run Alamy. I actually still trust Alamy. They have not sold themselves to Getty and they have not gone out business, Not yet, anyway. They, like all of use, are involved in a troubled business. All creative pursues have reverted to the La Boheme model . . . "You're in the arts? Go live in a garret and eat dog food." 

No, not very healthy, I have had some as well but they are sales. Also does it not also the help with your ranking?

According to Alamy, NU sales do NOT count towards ranking.

Pearl

No, not very healthy, I have had some as well but they are sales. Also does it not also the help with your ranking?

Pearl

That's my understanding too - IMO this should be revisited bearing in mind the prices of some of the "normal" sales.

dov

Pearl

That's my understanding too - IMO this should be revisited bearing in mind the prices of some of the "normal" sales.

dov

They should count to Creative!

That would be an incentive!

wim

When NU was announced I expected that given the low prices I might at least get high numbers of sales. I've found sales of NU to be low in numbers - I think only about 4 in the last year - quite insignificant compared to other sales.

I don't know about art4life but I know "mysomeday" makes use of the NU programme:

http://www.mysomeday.com/Search.aspx?msl=Y2F0PTAma3c9Z3VpdGFy

One of my there and some other Alamy pics. I have to say the use doesn't seem very novel to me - web display -  but the deal seems to require them to keep an Alamy label on the images.

Anyway it's supposed to be phasing out. There really doesn't seem to be much point in opting in at this stage IMO.

This is where you can order, not your mug, but your Alamy Novel Use

Stretched canvas print ; Rolled canvas prints; Fine art print; Gloss photographic print; Pearl photographic print:

http://www.art4life.com/

wim

I wish I opted out of that scheme when I had the chance, but I, like many newer contributors, wasn't aware of the paltry fees paid.

Looking on the bright side; at least when I search that site for the area where I live I get 12 pics on the front page! lol

This is where you can order, not your mug, but your Alamy Novel Use

Stretched canvas print ; Rolled canvas prints; Fine art print; Gloss photographic print; Pearl photographic print:

http://www.art4life.com/

wim

Let's say they sell one of my pictures as a 20" X 30" fine art print for $ 56.24, all I get will be ................ $ 0.5 ????? :huh::o:angry:

I notice that 99% of my Novel Use Scheme1 sales are sold for $ 1 (gross).

This month I received a Novel Use Scheme2 sale for $ 10 (gross). Anybody knows what the difference is between Novel Use Scheme1 and Novel Use Scheme2?

Cheers,

Philippe

$9..... *cough* ....sorry. I'll leave now!

This month I received a Novel Use Scheme2 sale for $ 10 (gross). Anybody knows what the difference is between Novel Use Scheme1 and Novel Use Scheme2?

Cheers,

Philippe

$9..... *cough* ....sorry. I'll leave now!

Ooooh! :huh:Damn' too late! :angry:The smart-ass' already gone, otherwise I'd digitally kick his butt :D LOL :P

Cheers,

Philippe

:ph34r:  phew..... close one!  :)

I discontinued Novel Use last April after having a $1.00 gross sale to the Telegraph. The image was full page on their Web site, a really vivid reproduction.

Did you check with Google Image Search? I've found that anything I've had sold to the Telegraph has been on countless blogs, mostly from the Far East, within hours.

• 3 years later...

Who can tell me about that NU scheme. Which photos will be included in it: RF or RF and RM either?

I have some RF images I agree to sell for lower margins, I doubt that they are of any use for editorial and mass media use, but I do not agree to let all my portfolio to be sold under NU scheme. Do I have any option to choose which photos to sell under NU scheme and which not?

Who can tell me about that NU scheme. Which photos will be included in it: RF or RF and RM either?

I have some RF images I agree to sell for lower margins, I doubt that they are of any use for editorial and mass media use, but I do not agree to let all my portfolio to be sold under NU scheme. Do I have any option to choose which photos to sell under NU scheme and which not?

No.

I'm keeping an eye on NU sales with a view to opting out next year. I had a number of these sales over the last few months

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Image Size: Any size
Start: 26 August 2016
End: 26 August 2021
Novel use, India Rights only

and after a few emails back and forth with MS querying how sales for an editorial website could be NU I gave up thinking we were going round in circles. 

From MS (or those formally know as MS)

"There is no specific scheme within Novel Use at this point. It can be defined as anything that’s outside of the scope of our standard price calculator. It is impossible to give a ‘profile’ of a novel use customer or a novel use agreement.

The Novel Use sales that have been posted on your account is for one potential customer from India.

And this is not micropayment as Novel use differs in that your images are still available for sale as Royalty Free or Rights-Managed images. You can still sell your images under our standard licensing conditions and prices, so you are not committing your images solely to a low cost model."

After querying how an editorial website was outside the standard price calculator I was told:

"As I said, this is different because it was bulk invoicing under the Novel use scheme for a potential client.

License details are taken from the price calculator that has set values so it’s not always possible to be 100% specific."

Archived