Editing Captions and Setting Defaults

I’ve just begun to experience the new Image Manager and I’m finding it a little confusing.

I have a couple of issues that I would really appreciate assistance with.

1.  How do I edit captions?  Try as I may, I can’t seem to make any changes in this field.

2.  Once through QC my images now seem to automatically go on sale - well most of them, a few haven't for whatever reason.  They also seem to be assigned default License Type and Pseudonym, but not the same default for each image (I use multiple pseudonyms).  Does anyone know where I go to in order to set my default values to what I choose?

I’ve just begun to experience the new Image Manager and I’m finding it a little confusing.

I have a couple of issues that I would really appreciate assistance with.

1.  How do I edit captions?  Try as I may, I can’t seem to make any changes in this field.

2.  Once through QC my images now seem to automatically go on sale - well most of them, a few haven't for whatever reason.  They also seem to be assigned default License Type and Pseudonym, but not the same default for each image (I use multiple pseudonyms).  Does anyone know where I go to in order to set my default values to what I choose?

According to Alamy, any images with captions plus 5 and more keywords will go on sale automatically when they pass through QC

Sung

I can edit my captions but I don't use the keyboard shortcuts so maybe that is your problem. A lot of things people are accustomed to doing just don't work. I don't have an answer for the defaults you want. Some defaults are available in the little gear on the top black bar.

Paulette

@SFL:  Thanks, I must have missed that as I read through the 'manual'.  What's happening is more understandable now.

@NYCat & @John Mitchell: Thanks for your input.  I went back to the offending images and tried again.  As you have said, I have found that I can go in and edit a caption by merely clicking on it first... except when the caption field is full.  Extended captions with more characters that the limit used to get truncated and also drop into the 'further info' field.  Now they just get truncated at the character limit.  These captions are the ones that I can't edit.  Now that I know this, I can take account of it.  Meanwhile I have some images with captions that end rather abruptly and nonsensically.

@SFL:  Thanks, I must have missed that as I read through the 'manual'.  What's happening is more understandable now.

@NYCat & @John Mitchell: Thanks for your input.  I went back to the offending images and tried again.  As you have said, I have found that I can go in and edit a caption by merely clicking on it first... except when the caption field is full.  Extended captions with more characters that the limit used to get truncated and also drop into the 'further info' field.  Now they just get truncated at the character limit.  These captions are the ones that I can't edit.  Now that I know this, I can take account of it.  Meanwhile I have some images with captions that end rather abruptly and nonsensically.

Eureka: I just discovered that it is possible to cut these uneditable captions which have reached the 150 character limit but only using the menu bar command - normal keyboard cut (cmd-x, ctrl-x) doesn't work. You can then edit the caption in a text editor and repaste it.

Using the captions as a holder for cutting and pasting tags is actually a helpful workaround for the inability to copy and paste in the AIM. 150 characters with well-placed commas are quite useful and people are saying that captions have high weighting in searches (maybe that will change though).

Keyboard commands should be operational across the board. And it is really silly that is not possible to edit a caption once it has reached the 150 limit. This is another really stupid bug (or oversight if one wants be polite). I should say I'm not very polite to the new AIM - I call it all sorts of things in private. Things such as what a load of ..... that rhymes with night. The bugs are only a part of the problem. It's the whole UI design that's killing me. What a mess.

Eureka: I just discovered that it is possible to cut these uneditable captions which have reached the 150 character limit but only using the menu bar command - normal keyboard cut (cmd-x, ctrl-x) doesn't work. You can then edit the caption in a text editor and repaste it.

Using the captions as a holder for cutting and pasting tags is actually a helpful workaround for the inability to copy and paste in the AIM. 150 characters with well-placed commas are quite useful and people are saying that captions have high weighting in searches (maybe that will change though).

Keyboard commands should be operational across the board. And it is really silly that is not possible to edit a caption once it has reached the 150 limit. This is another really stupid bug (or oversight if one wants be polite). I should say I'm not very polite to the new AIM - I call it all sorts of things in private. Things such as what a load of ..... that rhymes with night. The bugs are only a part of the problem. It's the whole UI design that's killing me. What a mess.

Hear hear!

John.

Hear hear!

John.

Add me to that.

I think the beta testing should have been given to a few of the masses like us and not to the elite.

Allan

I never liked the task of keywording but now I find reason after reason to not sit down and do it. It's awkward in so many ways and the advantage of being able to add or remove words across a selection of images is useless because of the inability to easily delete duplicated words in older images. I basically can't do anything other than add supertags in older images because almost all have more than 50 tags. Since the supertags may not have an advantage anyway there is no sense spending time on them.

Paulette

I may have missed this somewhere in the lots of threads, but how do you delete a photo/file/image from your page of photos waiting to be captioned etc? Many thanks.

Select the image, then in the right pane (right pain!) click on 'Optional', then at the bottom is 'delete 1 selected image', press delete button next to it.

John.

Archived