High discoverability

Most of us aren't worrying about it. It's purely a volume thing. Apparently you need about 47 tags and all the supers to get it to green, and all the optionals filled in to get optimised. I'm certainly not bothering when most of my sellers are still orange.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 3

Has anybody found a way to achieve a rating of High discoverability for their images? All mine are middle and stay that way, whatever I do to them.

From the AIM manual:

Note: To optimize you need to have 50 tags, of which 10 are supertags.

All mandatory and optional fields must be complete.

wim

It also can help you enter the Primary category

I would rather prefer marking images that are not marked ten tags.

Marked images "Poor discoverability" or "Optimized" for me is not currently the most important

Radim

I agree, Geoff. Seems really weird to encourage keyword spamming. But having said that, I'd like my images to be sold ie found ie discoverable (?)......so what to do?!!!

Following on, on my 'front' page it say I have 96 images with poor discoverability. Not middle - poor. But when I click on this to see which ones they are, it brings up 300 odd images. Which is all that second page seems to think is in my portfolio..of over 2000..... This list, however, also includes recent submissions where every conceivable box has been ticked....

I'm really not getting this......

All mandatory and optional fields must be complete.

wim

Not quite...

all mandatory fields yes.

But just the :

people

property

date

primary category

in the optional section

km

You're absolutely correct.

My two images that are green all the way, have exactly that.

Maybe we should call those mandatory optional fields ;-)

Greenfields maybe?

wim

I'm not worrying about getting the full green line.  To fill all 50 tags in most case means adding all sorts of only partially related words that I'm sure will knock my CTR rating.

My aim is 10 very relevant  'supertags' and at most, a handful of others.

I guess there might be some areas of photography where 50 keywords are relevant but not sure what those might be.

John

• Like 1

I'm not worrying about getting the full green line.  To fill all 50 tags in most case means adding all sorts of only partially related words that I'm sure will knock my CTR rating.

I guess there might be some areas of photography where 50 keywords are relevant but not sure what those might be.

John

Me too but there is plenty of doubt being expressed whether CTR is even relevant any more.

John

Me too but there is plenty of doubt being expressed whether CTR is even relevant any more.

Martin I was just thinking that. It seems to me that CTR will shortly become a thing of the past and that having a high discovery rating will be desirable even if it does mean tagging more loosely.

My concern is that if everyone starts tagging loosely to get the green line,  'discoverability' might become 'un-descoverability' with large numbers of unrelated images appearing in a search.  Not something an editor on a short deadline will appreciate perhaps.

John

• Like 7

My concern is that if everyone starts tagging loosely to get the green line,  'discoverability' might become 'un-descoverability' with large numbers of unrelated images appearing in a search.  Not something an editor on a short deadline will appreciate perhaps.

John

Bang on, John.

Alamy really need to re-think this 'high discoverability' malarky and  to strangle this spam-spawner before it becomes a monster. None of my images need 50 tags and few need even 10 supertags in order for the main subject to be adequately described and secondary subjects included for completeness.

I can understand that creative images with a strong conceptual leaning may need more and maybe the capacity for 50 tags is understandable, but not the drive to make everybody think that their keywording in inadequate unless they have filled every possible space. 

• Like 3

I'd like my images to be sold ie found ie discoverable (?)......so what to do?!!!

Carry on as before. It's only useful having your images discoverable to the right people.

The more discoverable they become, the more people will see them who aren't looking for them, which will damage your/the image's rank, however ranking works under the new system.

I like many aspects of the new system, but really miss the 'not on sale' or 'on sale but more details required'.

Back then we could decide when we were happy with an image, and move on.

• Like 1

The problem is that there are thousands of contributors, old and new, who do not follow the forum. As Joseph suggests if they follow the current advice (possibly the only guidance that they see) it may create an explosion of spam keywording to everyone's detriment.

Personally I will put my effort elsewhere and watch from a safe distance.

Edited by Martin P Wilson
  • Like 1

The problem is that there are thousands of contributors, old and new, who do not follow the forum. As Joseph suggests if they follow the current advice (possibly the only guidance that they see) it may create an explosion of spam keywording to everyone's detriment.

Let them spam away.. Then our considered approach will put us ahead.

• Like 1

Let them spam away.. Then our considered approach will put us ahead.

Frankly, I wouldn't bet on it especially if, as many have suggested, CTR is no longer relevant. Well tagged images may be buried in the noise, many seem to think that is already happening since the apparently new search algorithm.

That's why I am merely watchful at the moment.

I thought low discoverabilty was a problem so I started adding more tags to find my CTR started to go down rather than up .I now stopped adding more tags

I'd be surprised if you could make a judgment yet based on only a handful of zooms. There can only have been 4 or 5 updates since IM came out.

Edited by spacecadet