The Image Manager thread

Thanks, Gen. My method with the old image manager was to just do very basic keywording in Lightroom and do everything else in Alamy. That worked for me but this one is driving me crazy. The caption field is uncomfortable for me though I have been doing as you suggest and my images haven't gone on sale until I have put in the caption. Next time I think I'll try doing everything, including the caption, in Lightroom so I can spend as little time as possible dealing with this image manager. I have been so disappointed in it. I was expecting to be able to, for instance, select all of my polar bear images and check to make sure they all have "climate" and "environment" in them. I'm hampered by the fact that pretty much all my images have more than 50 keywords because I was repeating in more than one field. Ah well. So far at least my new submissions are landing in reasonable good places.

Paulette

I have pretty much given up doing anything to my legacy pictures. 

Even without repetitions, things like 'perched on a branch', 'sitting on a perch' which I have for my bird images, have been split into single words, making it a 8 tag affair.

In addition to the Latin name and common names being all separated of course. Number of tags go over 50 in no time at all. Waste of time.

It's fine for me if they go on sale immediately. My keyword field is complete. I can then select supertags. I don't like the word "tag" either, except it it is a much shorter word to type. :)

KW is shorter.

Allan

I must be missing something here, I have always keytagged!  In the old image manager because to me it seemed easier than moving the words after upload as they all went into the comprehensive box.

I think I will do the same with the new AIM it just slower as you can't copy and paste groups of words, as I used to with the old system.

Admitedly I have not tried the Bridge method, so do they upload straight into tags, guess I will have to try with next upload.

I must be missing something here, I have always keytagged!  In the old image manager because to me it seemed easier than moving the words after upload as they all went into the comprehensive box.

I think I will do the same with the new AIM it just slower as you can't copy and paste groups of words, as I used to with the old system.

Admitedly I have not tried the Bridge method, so do they upload straight into tags, guess I will have to try with next upload.

Yes, they upload into the tag box perfectly.

In Bridge:

black quarter horse,horse,stallion,quarter horse stallion, London,UK,

Will be in that exact order in the new MI.

So you may have 15-20 more tags behind those. When you choose your 10 supertags and save, those will jump to the top leaving the rest as is.

If you add tags after uploading, be sure you add tags that need be beside each other in reverse. Such as,

Black,horse, you want to add as horse,black. For some unfathomable reason, the tags get reversed when you save them.

When I add my location, I do it this way.

North America,United States,USA,Oklahoma,Oklahoma City

Thus when I save, they come out in the right order.

Betty

In Bridge:

So you may have 15-20 more tags behind those. When you choose your 10 supertags and save, those will jump to the top leaving the rest as is.

If you add tags after uploading, be sure you add tags that need be beside each other in reverse. Such as,

Black,horse, you want to add as horse,black. For some unfathomable reason, the tags get reversed when you save them.

Betty

I think it's farcical that tags have to be entered in reverse order!!

No facility to reorder tags, or copy, or delete, or edit, or mass delete........I could go on!

The new AIM isn't very intuitive.

John.

In Bridge:

Betty

No facility to reorder tags, or copy, or delete, or edit, or mass delete........I could go on!

John.

There is a way (tedious) to reorder Supertags.

click tag to turn star grey on two tags then click on them in reverse order to change back to blue star.

Allan

In Bridge:

Betty

John.

click tag to turn star grey on two tags then click on them in reverse order to change back to blue star.

Allan

Allan,

How would you do that with plain text?

And how long would that take?

wim

In Bridge:

Betty

John.

Allan

Allan,

How would you do that with plain text?

And how long would that take?

wim

Don't know. :(

Allan

In Bridge:

Betty

John.

When I add tags in the order I want them, when I save, they are in the correct order. Why am I not having the same problem?

I enter Toronto, Ontario, Canada and when I save they are together in the correct order.  They are in the wrong order when I enter them, because they show in the order entered, but correct when I save.

Jill

In Bridge:

Betty

John.

When I add tags in the order I want them, when I save, they are in the correct order. Why am I not having the same problem?

I enter Toronto, Ontario, Canada and when I save they are together in the correct order.  They are in the wrong order when I enter them, because they show in the order entered, but correct when I save.

Jill

but if you hit save after entering each tag the order gets messed up

In Bridge:

Betty

John.

Jill

Why would I hit save after each tag entered?  Seems a waste of time.  I would enter the tags I want to be together and then save.  Most of the time, if I want words to be together I type them both in the tag field (with commas between) then hit enter, then hit save.

Jill

In Bridge:

Betty

John.

Jill

Why would I hit save after each tag entered?  Seems a waste of time.  I would enter the tags I want to be together and then save.  Most of the time, if I want words to be together I type them both in the tag field (with commas between) then hit enter, then hit save.

Jill

you might have forgotten a tag and want to add it later

Does anyone know if the order of words within a tag matters?  For example if I have "Fort Taylor" vs "Taylor Fort", if the search is for "Taylor Fort" and I only have "Fort Taylor" in my tags, will the image come up in the same spot as if I had "Taylor Fort" as my tag?

PS  I know I can do a test but I'm wondering if anyone already tested this.

Another bug in the new MI (or at least strange behaviour).

If I search construct a complex search (using OR) the results are a bit strange.

If I search for AlamyRef1 OR AlamyRef2 (so I can select two images to copy keywords between), the results vary depending on whether the submission is on sale (after overnight update).

If both images are on sale it finds both of them - good.

If both images are in my most recent submission (which is not yet on sale), it only finds the first one entered.

If one image is not yet on sale, but the other is, then it only finds the one that's on sale.

Searches for tags only finds matching images that are already on sale (after overnight update - as expected)

I wonder if this is something to do with the fact that the various databases update at different times.

Today I was getting images in IM search before they were appearing in Alamy search. The number of search results for the same term incremented by 3 over a period of an hour or so this afternoon. I know because they were mine in a keyword test.

Does anyone know if the order of words within a tag matters? For example if I have "Fort Taylor" vs "Taylor Fort", if the search is for "Taylor Fort" and I only have "Fort Taylor" in my tags, will the image come up in the same spot as if I had "Taylor Fort" as my tag?

PS I know I can do a test but I'm wondering if anyone already tested this.

I haven't done that specific test, but it SHOULD matter, yes. I cannot say for sure if it actually does. What I suggest though is having the words the right way round of course as even if it doesn't matter now, it may do in future. If it could be searched for with the words either way around, simply add 2 tags to cover all possibilities.

Geoff.

Yes, will have to add 2 tags but then I'm wondering if it's the same case if you use two separate tags for these words, do you have to have Taylor, Fort, Taylor to cover all possibilities?

Yes and the system keeps truncating keywords which are well within the 30 character / 4 word limit.

My Supertag Paris Shakespeare and Company has become Paris Shakespeare a today.

No mistake on my side: I keep a copy of all I have put in. And how it looks after saving.

wim

Hi

I recently opened another discussion but deleted it because I thought the problem is solved but it isn't. I have 2 problems and would like to know if somebody else faces them:

1. After I tried to change all my images with property and/or people to RF editorial I noticed that randomly images appear only as RF; the editorial box isn't ticked. I did the procedure a couple of times the problem remains,

2.Today I noticed that not all supertags are saved. If tag newly submitted images I label 10 supertags and save them. They correctly show up as 10 supertags with their blue stars. I spot checked today and saw that some images show less than previous labeled 10 supertags. I changed them again and labeled 10 supertags saved and they correctly show up as 10 supertags. If after that I work on images of another batch and I go back to the images in question they only show a lower number of supertags as before. I repeated the procedure a couple of times. The problem remains after having worked on images in another batch.

Anyone else?

Did you give the Alamy storage system time to update between checking your images?

Just my thoughts.

Allan

Guest Stockfotoart
On 17.2.2017 at 12:42, Allan Bell said:

On 17.2.2017 at 09:48, Stockfotoart said:

Hi

I recently opened another discussion but deleted it because I thought the problem is solved but it isn't. I have 2 problems and would like to know if somebody else faces them:

1. After I tried to change all my images with property and/or people to RF editorial I noticed that randomly images appear only as RF; the editorial box isn't ticked. I did the procedure a couple of times the problem remains,

2.Today I noticed that not all supertags are saved. If tag newly submitted images I label 10 supertags and save them. They correctly show up as 10 supertags with their blue stars. I spot checked today and saw that some images show less than previous labeled 10 supertags. I changed them again and labeled 10 supertags saved and they correctly show up as 10 supertags. If after that I work on images of another batch and I go back to the images in question they only show a lower number of supertags as before. I repeated the procedure a couple of times. The problem remains after having worked on images in another batch.

Anyone else?

Did you give the Alamy storage system time to update between checking your images?

Just my thoughts.

Allan

Yes and the system keeps truncating keywords which are well within the 30 character / 4 word limit.

No mistake on my side: I keep a copy of all I have put in. And how it looks after saving.

wim

oh my gosh, I realised that as well and thought that I was saving a misspelled keyword and as it happens so often I thought already something is wrong with my head

I give up, I spend hours and hours those last days...

Yes the same for me - initially (in November and December) I blamed myself.

wim

wim

oh my gosh, I realised that as well and thought that I was saving a misspelled keyword and as it happens so often I thought already something is wrong with my head

I give up, I spend hours and hours those last days...

Yes the same for me - initially (in November and December) I blamed myself.

wim

+1

I've seen the same issue (seems to be intermittent).  Some multi-word tags, which are less than 30 characters are being truncated.  In some cases, if I delete the tag and re-enter it, it looks OK when the editing is saved, but reappears after deselecting and reselecting the image.  I could live with it if the truncation happened between words, but its happening in the middle of words.  (Example, "US Capitol" gets truncated to "US Capi") I sent a note to CR with a screenshot illustrating the issue.

Clarence

Hi

Anyone else?

I have the same problem. Here is my post in another thread:

This happened to me about a week ago. My images would not show when I searched for Photographs, but they would show when I searched for the same tags selecting the "All images" option. Also, double check your images after you're done with the tags and all the other requirements. I saved several of my images with 10 supertags only to discover that after a system update they would have less than 10 supertags (sometimes down to 7). Other weird things that are happening are:

1) No matter how many times I insert a specific tag to a set of my images, that specific tag disappears after a system update.

2) Some two word tags are being cut off after a database update, for example, I entered "natricinae snake" as a supertag for one of my images, but it shows only as "n" in the list. The same thing happened with "Bruce Peninsula" (shown as "Bruce Pe"). These tags were all fine when I saved the files.

Archived