Embedding keywords using Excel > CSV file

Alamy will accept keywords in a CSV file. If you email Contributor Services (contributors@alamy.com) they will send you a spreadsheet to use as a template. You can ask for them to send it with your existing metadata inside too if you want. You can edit the spreadsheet, then email it back and they can import into their database. There are also programs that can edit jpg image files to add in keywords from a CSV file e.g. EXIFTool see here.

Thanks M,

I do actually already use an Excel sheet to submit data to Alamy - pretty useful with all the different fields required.

It's embedding IPTC data into images from a CSV file that I'm researching.

You're right EXITTool can do this. Not sure if I'm savvy enough with scripting to get it to work. I've had a look at their forum and found people are struggling with it for embedding data.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks M,

I do actually already use an Excel sheet to submit data to Alamy - pretty useful with all the different fields required.

It's embedding IPTC data into images from a CSV file that I'm researching.

You're right EXITTool can do this. Not sure if I'm savvy enough with scripting to get it to work. I've had a look at their forum and found people are struggling with it for embedding data.

Cheers

Paul

I used EXIFTool to successfully take keywords from an Excel spreadsheet and embed them in jpgs. It's pretty straightforward, there's just one command to type to do a whole directory of jpgs. See my posting in the forum on how to do it here.

Thanks M, 

I've followed your link to your previous explanation and am about to give it a go. 

Do you know if Exiftools can enter more than one set of information - such as keywords and description   

Source/Description/keywords

Perhaps author and location as well for good measure!

Thanks M, 

I've followed your link to your previous explanation and am about to give it a go. 

Do you know if Exiftools can enter more than one set of information - such as keywords and description   

Source/Description/keywords

Perhaps author and location as well for good measure!

I'm pretty sure you can do multiple fields all at once, but it's a while since I last used it. It's extremely powerful. I haven't got time at the moment to dig back into it in detail, but this might help.

That's great thanks - I'll check it all out

One trick you could use is the export command to generate a template CSV file.

If you manually edit a jpg so it contains examples of all the meta data you're going to want to work with, then use the export version of the command to create a CSV from that file.

If you open this CSV file in Excel it should then contain all the column headings you need.

The export command  to generate CSV file with common tags from all images in a directory is

exiftool -common -csv dir > out.csv

If this doesn't include the tags you want to work with, try.

exiftool -all -csv dir > out.csv

You can then edit the CSV file in Excel to add in all the metadata and jpg filenames you want to import back into the jpgs.

Alternatively, I suppose you could put a copy of all your jpegs in a folder, do an export to CSV, then edit the CSV to add all the tags then reimport.

There are lots of examples of commands at the end the help pages here

Archived