Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Travel & tourism
Image Size: Any size
Start: 20 May 2016
End: 20 May 2021
Novel use, xxxx only

Price $ 1.42 ???

Really ?? How can anyone sell an image for 5 yrs , any size at $1.42 ????

Anyone else has such experience ??

ah that Novel Use editorial license, yes I had 2 of these some weeks ago, exact same details.

I did query them with MS.

I was told the definition of NU "It can be defined as anything that’s outside of the scope of our standard price calculator. It is impossible to give a ‘profile’ of a novel use customer or a novel use agreement."

When I queried how editorial sales fell outside the price calculator  I was told, "this is different because it was bulk invoicing under the Novel use scheme for a potential client. License details are taken from the price calculator that has set values so it’s not always possible to be 100% specific."

ah that Novel Use editorial license, yes I had 2 of these some weeks ago, exact same details.

I did query them with MS.

I was told the definition of NU "It can be defined as anything that’s outside of the scope of our standard price calculator. It is impossible to give a ‘profile’ of a novel use customer or a novel use agreement."

When I queried how editorial sales fell outside the price calculator  I was told, "this is different because it was bulk invoicing under the Novel use scheme for a potential client. License details are taken from the price calculator that has set values so it’s not always possible to be 100% specific."

So I guess there must be "editorial novel use" or "novel editorial use" as well as regular editorial use. Still sounds confusing to me but thanks for sharing the reply.

Yes the quick and easy web licence which Alamy define as

Websites, apps, social media and blogs (excludes advertising). Worldwide for 5 years.

Seems to easily cover it. I can understand A making bulk deals and discounting for those, but these novel use editorial sales are a mega discount. Very odd and not good. If they keep happening I will be marking my calender so I remember to opt out of NU next year.

That's the way things are going, as has been discussed in these forums numerous times for months now.

The only way to prevent it is to opt out of Novel Use and the Newspaper Scheme. Then you'll get less sales of course.

One reason for staying in those schemes is that despite the low earnings, sales still count towards increasing your Alamy Rank, which will hopefully lead to more sensibly priced sales in future as your images are more likely to be seen.

Geoff.

I'm ready to stand corrected but my understanding is that NU does not count towards Alamy rank.

"this is different because it was bulk invoicing under the Novel use scheme for a potential client."

Would I be right in thinking that this has been used as a marketing tool?

Have never understood why NU sales are not taken into account towards the Alamy ranking, assuming that this is the case. 

Seems like a double whammy for the contributor.

dov

"this is different because it was bulk invoicing under the Novel use scheme for a potential client."

Would I be right in thinking that this has been used as a marketing tool?

Dov yes that was all I could assume, but I'm not really sure of the logic, wouldn't a potential client want to continue with the same great deal for future purchases? And I still can't see how NU is the right deal just because they are a potential client.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think it is in the spirit of what I believed NU was when I signed up to it, it certainly doesn't fall within Alamys recent definition given to me "It can be defined as anything that’s outside of the scope of our standard price calculator." somehow, I don't really feel I should be held into NU until next April if the rules are going to be bent so much.

But luckily, the sun is shining and its nearly coffee time, so I'm not going to get grumpy over it.... 

I thought I had read some years ago that NU was being phased out. I just got curious as to why I thought this and after a little googling found a quote from the Alamy blog on the Microstockgroup forum. This was posted in 2012. There was certainly a drop off in the amount of NU sales from 2013 onwards.  So what changed? Is NU being resurrected?

Novel Use is being phased out according to James West - see comment number 34 under his blog post here.

Novel Use is probably more trouble than it’s worth. We've been winding up the deals partly because many of you have voted with your feet and opted out the scheme (which is completely fine by the way, I only get cross when people get cross with us for something they agreed to) and partly because we have found more exciting opportunities at higher price points to concentrate on. Only two Novel Use deals remain in place and the one that is in the sub $5 category has been notified that we will not be renewing the deal when the contract expires next year.

Glad I kept my distance from it like a squirrel staying away a snake pit. I might miss out on a few peanuts, but sure as he!! ain't get bitten. That's how I felt every time I got one of those $5.39 distributor sales from Sweden.

Glad I kept my distance from it like a squirrel staying away a snake pit. I might miss out on a few peanuts, but sure as he!! ain't get bitten. That's how I felt every time I got one of those $5.39 distributor sales from Sweden.

6.80 this month!

To this poor Swedish media company based in poor Luxembourg that publishes the Xxxxx newspapers.

Whose advertising sales have grown at a compound annual growth rate of 41 percent since launch of the first edition.

Because their papers are free, maybe we should work for free as well.

I'm amazed its not owned by RM.

wim

One reason for staying in those schemes is that despite the low earnings, sales still count towards increasing your Alamy Rank, which will hopefully lead to more sensibly priced sales in future as your images are more likely to be seen.

Geoff.

Too many low priced sales could actually damage your Alamy Rank as one of the factors taken into account is average sale price.  Which may be why Alamy said NU sales wouldn't count towards ranking.

Pearl

Geoff.

Too many low priced sales could actually damage your Alamy Rank as one of the factors taken into account is average sale price.  Which may be why Alamy said NU sales wouldn't count towards ranking.

Pearl

I didn't realise that NU sales didn't count, but I accept it's true as you and someone else have said the same.

I'd be surprised if other low priced sales didn't count towards rank though. Surely a sale is better than no sale, no matter what you get for it? It shows interest in your images, much the same as zooms do.

Geoff.

Geoff, other low priced sales do count towards rank but can have a damaging effect if you have too many low sales and few high ones because that gives you a low average sale price.  Average sale price counts towards Alamy Rank.

Pearl

Geoff, other low priced sales do count towards rank but can have a damaging effect if you have too many low sales and few high ones because that gives you a low average sale price.  Average sale price counts towards Alamy Rank.

Pearl

Well that's what I meant, that I'm surprised they would have a damaging effect on rank. Obviously the high average price the better, but if someone makes 10 sales for $5 each and someone else makes zero sales, surely the one who makes 10 sales will have a higher rank (all other rank-effecting factors taken out of the equation of course).

Geoff.

In that situation yes, a few small sales is better than none at all.   A few years ago a colleague of mine who sells far fewer images than I do got a higher rank than me.  When we queried it with MS they told us about the average sale price effect. She had had one large sale whereas I had loads of small to average sales and that tipped the balance.

Pearl

My experience was that I stayed at the middle rank that newcomers get until I made a couple of small sales and fell to the bottom. It is, fortunately, still possible to make sales from the bottom.

Paulette

I got 3 today. :(

Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Image Size: Any size
Start: 01 May 2016
End: 01 May 2021
Bulk discount , Flat rate per image

$4.36

I got 3 today. :(