Property release for zoo animals?

I'm pretty sure I do need property release for zoo animals but just want to make sure with the rest of the gang here. I do, right? I initially entered it as non-property/royalty free but then I changed it to property with no release and I got a window stating that if sold as royalty free it will be deleted in 3 months. Why don't they just let me make the correction now while I'm entering attributes?

If it is a public zoo, no releases are required. Even for private zoos or animal farms or animal shows, releases aren't required if you intend assigning a "rights managed" license to your images. As per stated rules (and agreed to by the contributors) the assigned license type just can't be altered once the image has been submitted. If the image was admittedly shot on some private property, it can't be assigned a 'royalty free' license sans any property release.

I'm pretty sure I do need property release for zoo animals but just want to make sure with the rest of the gang here. I do, right? I initially entered it as non-property/royalty free but then I changed it to property with no release and I got a window stating that if sold as royalty free it will be deleted in 3 months. Why don't they just let me make the correction now while I'm entering attributes?

To sell RF, you would need a property release.

To sell RM (Editorial essentially), you wouldn't.

You could try sending an email to member services explaining that you made a simple mistake and ask if they can just change the license type for you... they can only say no!

Zoos vary a lot. San Diego Zoo has signs everywhere saying photography is only for personal use and I believe at one point they threatened Getty. This is a big change from when I asked them many years ago and there were no restrictions. I have a few images here RM and marked as having no property release. They were taken back when selling their images was Ok.  People tend to think the zoo won't recognize their animal but they actually can.

Paulette

Would also believe that this may be a case by case answer. 

A few weeks ago I looked into this topic for the zoo in Leipzig Germany, which I plan to visit some time. 

Their website states that you only need a release if any visitors, keepers or staff is in the picture. 

From that I interpreted no release needed for the animals themselves. 

The images were shot at the Bronx Zoo in New York

From http://bronxzoo.com/visitor-info/rules

• Non-commercial photography for personal use is allowed, but tripods are restricted in several exhibits, and at the discretion of zoo staff. Commercial photography and filming requests must go through the Communications Department. Please send your request to mpulsinelli@wcs.org.

fD

I have some Bronx Zoo photos as well as some Central Park photos, but I had permission in both cases -  a press pass - to shoot for editorial use notwithstanding their "no commercial use" policy. I still don't have property releases notwithstanding the permission, so they are RM and marked as No Property Release. For one shoot at the Bronx Zoo I had kids in the pix and have model releases but not property releases so they have to be RM. I'm not sure how it would work if I went back and wasn't on assignment; I'd probably contact the appropriate department and ask for permission. Safest bet especially with the new contract terms here. Not sure how it would work after the fact but the contact person is very nice, so why not call and ask? 

Archived