I had one of those dreaded refunds this month and it was for a nice sum too. It hasn't reappeared in any other shape or form and it got me to wondering if you ever contacted MS for a reason regarding the refund. I'm not down any money as the sale notification came in with the refund notification but I'm still curious of the spanner in the works. It could be an idea for that information, in brief, to be added to the  "Summary of items sold"

I'm always curious about reasons for refunds, but I can see how supplying this info to contributors might open a real can of headaches for Alamy.

Yes John I understand that there could be negatives for Alamy in doing this, but simple information like "Project cancelled" or "Image not found suitable" or "Image being re-invoiced", would satisfy curiosity I think.

I'm always curious about reasons for refunds, but I can see how supplying this info to contributors might open a real can of headaches for Alamy.

Yes John I understand that there could be negatives for Alamy in doing this, but simple information like "Project cancelled" or "Image not found suitable" or "Image being re-invoiced", would satisfy curiosity I think.

Sounds good to me.

My first refund several years ago was for $250 so I contacted MS and they said the buyer scrapped the project. Fortunately since then it's been buy-refund-buy for same amount - contacted the first time that happened and they said it was a double-billing accounting error which made sense. Ask MS. Sorry to hear, it always feels like it's out of your pocket even if you haven't seen it yet, especially for a nice amount.   

Here in the US most magazines and newspapers pay on publication. Some magazines have a lead time up to three months but things can change quickly during that time. If for any reason an image  is billed or paid before they go to press, and isn't used,  it's not surprising they'd ask for a refund or credit.

It's also possible the image is being used differently from what the original license specifies. I suspect there are a number of details we don't normally see when sales are reported.

fD

Archived