Please change the word "pics" to a real word.

Alan Gallery

Guest Richard

pik is Dutch for willy, (although the plural doesn't become pics, I'd still be cautious about who I would show favorite pic to)

...not sure I'm too bothered about "pics". I'm one of those who is often guilty - the extra four letters are just too much for me.

Re above post, how can someone be a 'guest' on this forum?

They are people who were once members (at the time of posting) but have now left.

Please do not use the word "pics" as it demeans the whole profession and does not do justice to all the hard work that Alamy have done to make the brand a serious contender in the marketplace.

To be clear the original post started in the section called "Let's talk about pics" and was referring to the use of the term "pics" in the context of the title of that section.  Since it was moved out of that context it seems to have been interpreted as a personal criticism by some contributers which was not my intention.  

I just think if Alamy wants to draw in the skilled photographers who treat their work seriously they may have better results using another word in the title of the section.

Yeah, well I have domain names for Prixpics and Prixnews. The prix is a play on my surname.

As to pics I am beginning to wonder if Alan Is right. There was a TV programme on BBC last month with Alex Polizzi was about a photographer who couldn't get her business going.  Polizzi took the woman to a top brand advisor in London who said pics sounds cheap and Lane Studios would be a better name for the photographer's business. 

So I feel cheap but then the last picture I sold here made £19. 

Regards, 

Adrian. 

Please do not use the word "pics" as it demeans the whole profession and does not do justice to all the hard work that Alamy have done to make the brand a serious contender in the marketplace.

In the first half of my retirement years I had a great gig (okay, a job) as a magazine copy editor—just two days a week and it paid well and I had health benefits. I found it next to impossible to control people's English or punctuation. At least it's clear what folks mean by pics or pix. 

Some of my pet forum hates include unexplained acronyms, especially IMHO. (Who's opinion did we think you were giving?) And only one person in the forum, besides me, uses the direct address comma. And . . . and . . . and. . . .

:P  Oh boy, there goes my reputation.

I use IMO to mean "It's just my opinion - not a known fact". That is to say: "Don't shoot me if I'm wrong." I sometimes add  "H" for "humble" if I think things are likely to get heated. IMHO :D

I use IMO to mean "It's just my opinion - not a known fact". That is to say: "Don't shoot me if I'm wrong." I sometimes add  "H" for "humble" if I think things are likely to get heated. IMHO :D

If I ever had a humble opinion (which I don't usually) I wouldn't bother to post it ;)

Alan

Archived