Looking back through my recent sales history, there are way too many refunds and amended licence details. I realise that mistakes can be made, projects shelved etc, but it seems to happen a little bit too often for this to be always the case. What I'd like to know is, do Alamy have a dedicated team/department that checks to make sure licence details for all images are being adhered to? I would think this would be a major task. Also, if a client downloads a high-res image and subsequently notifies Alamy that they want to cancel the sale or downgrade the licence, what is the general procedure that they follow?

Iv'e only ever had 3 refunds out of 300+ sales, and one of those was last month. However, the image sold on one day, the next day the exact same image for the exact same amount was sold, and with a couple of hours it was refunded, so I didn't get too excited!

My second refund was the worst - 10 months after it had been sold and paid for (and the money spent  :)) which, at the time a few years ago, was a large sale for me.

John.

Try taking a painting back to a gallery  6 months after you bought it and say "I never hung it up, and would like a refund"....  It aint gonna happen!

Try walking out of a gallery with a painting saying "I'll pay for it in a few months or so".......It aint gonna happen!

Buyer's, if you download an image, then please do the right thing and payup straight away.

Iv'e only ever had 3 refunds out of 300+ sales, and one of those was last month. However, the image sold on one day, the next day the exact same image for the exact same amount was sold, and with a couple of hours it was refunded, so I didn't get too excited!

My second refund was the worst - 10 months after it had been sold and paid for (and the money spent  :)) which, at the time a few years ago, was a large sale for me.

John.

Hi John. Did the money actually clear with Alamy on that sale that was refunded after 10 months? I'm curious if a refund is possible after the purchaser has actually paid Alamy (which is when it shows as cleared).

Cheers,

Geoff.

Yes, the money cleared with Alamy and they paid me, then 10 months after the sale I was debited with the amount paid.

I never had a image refunded so can you end up with a debt on account ?

You can, I ended up with a minus balance as I hadn't sold enough to cover the debit.

John.

That's very bad John. Once the money has been cleared, then unless you've breached the terms somehow (maybe by selling RF with no release when one was needed or taken on private land) then they shouldn't be able to do that. Even if Alamy themselves felt the need to give a refund, that's surely down to them and it shouldn't mean it's taken off your account.

Geoff.

Geoff, I agree, once Alamy have paid the contributor then Alamy themselves should take the hit.

I sold the same image a couple of months later (for a smaller fee) and when i queried the refund with Alamy they said that they should have refunded the original sale then, not 10 months later. I didn't realise it was the 'same' sale, just assumed it was going to be a popular image!

John

Archived