Not just similar..... exactly the same!

I have noticed that searching in Alamy collection there are many, many examples where  exactly the same image appears multiple times. This below is just one example. It seems to be mostly when images are from agencies rather than individuals but not exclusively so. Why is this happening? 

ET5292.jpg

ET5292 RM

ET529D.jpg

ET529D RM

ET5294.jpg

ET5294 RM

ET528W.jpg

ET528W RM

ET529C.jpg

ET529C RM

ET529E.jpg

ET529E RM

ET5291.jpg

ET5291 RM

Hmmm. The images are freely available if anyone wants them from Alamy's site! By putting these up as an example it hardly infringes anyones rights. Not sure why these don't have an Alamy watermark either? 

Hmmm. The images are freely available if anyone wants them from Alamy's site! By putting these up as an example it hardly infringes anyones rights. Not sure why these don't have an Alamy watermark either? 

I was thinking along the lines of, criticising someones port in an open forum without knowing the background. There are a lot of duplicates, could be a tech problem but the other person isn't here to defend themselves. For that reason I was suggesting it might be better to inform MS directly  so they can let them know about it. 

I was just thinking if it were you or I that had made a genuine mistake, it wouldn't be nice to find it being discussed by others when searching the internet one day :-)

Maybe we can have a little contest: find the most identical images by 1 contributor.

Here's my nomination - 18x !

wim

To keep OT, perhaps it should be restricted to "similars posted by anyone complaining about similars" . . .

dd

Maybe we can have a little contest: find the most identical images by 1 contributor.

wim

To keep OT, perhaps it should be restricted to "similars posted by anyone complaining about similars" . . .

dd

It's all just a glitch I guess. Because it's all archival material and nobody checks it, a bad mouse; an itchy finger or a slow connection can all cause these multiple uploads.

All these are by one newspaper agency. Maybe the OP can alert MS?

Still: has nobody found more than 18 identical images?

wim

wim

Wim,

The creator is called "Mirrorpix". Its in the name.......

Mirco

Yes that's how I conducted the search. In Avanced Search fill in the name of the contributor.

Or click on the contributor's name underneath the image.

The complete name is Trinity Mirror / Mirrorpix.

Trinity Mirror Stock Images (190,492)

Mirrorpix Stock Images (190,492)

Last time I looked at them, they had 55.000 images less. That was about 3 months ago.

So that itchy finger / faulty enter key / mouse that's gone hopping mad has been quite busy.

wim

I upload, of course, on my iMac. I only prepare one image from each shot. Yet, while checking out the forum, like now, on my iPad, if I click on my image count under my avatar, I often see two copies of a few of my images.

I've never been able to figure out why this happens. I thought it was something to do with the iPad for awhile, because when I click on one of my thumbnails, I frequently get a completely different image that enlarges. Then I noticed the dupes each have their own numbers. It's nothing wrong on my end, it must be something to do with the uploader.

I just went to my Mac and did the same thing I said I did above. Logged in to the forum, clicked on my image number under my avatar, and saw no dupes at all. Not only that, but the images were ordered the way I uploaded them, where when I do it on my iPad, I see some of the newest at the top, but also see previous fairly recent images scattered through the latest ones.

Can't understand it.

wim

Gee, could this be why Alamy has almost 60 million images? 

Even with all the duplicates and very similar images, it would still be an overwhelming number, I'm sure. Can't remember exactly, but it was "only" a few million (around six million?) when I started submitting in 2007. Even that number was mind-blowing to me at the time.

wim

Even with all the duplicates and very similar images, it would still be an overwhelming number, I'm sure. Can't remember exactly, but it was "only" a few million (around six million?) when I started submitting in 2007. Even that number was mind-blowing to me at the time.

Way back

wim

I just went to my Mac and did the same thing I said I did above. Logged in to the forum, clicked on my image number under my avatar, and saw no dupes at all. Not only that, but the images were ordered the way I uploaded them, where when I do it on my iPad, I see some of the newest at the top, but also see previous fairly recent images scattered through the latest ones.

Can't understand it.

Hi Betty,

When you're on your iPad, have you clicked (or tapped) on the images that you don't expect to be there? (i.e. out of order).  I've done that and sometimes the image showing doesn't match the one that ends up being zoomed.  But only on my iPad.

Maria

wim

Way back

wim

"Over a million" still sounds pretty impressive to me.

Can't understand it.

Hi Betty,

When you're on your iPad, have you clicked (or tapped) on the images that you don't expect to be there? (i.e. out of order).  I've done that and sometimes the image showing doesn't match the one that ends up being zoomed.  But only on my iPad.

Maria

I reported that issue to MS a few months ago. They said they were transmitting it to their technical dept. I never heard anything and this is still happening. I attached screen shots images appearing twice with different Alamy Ref. I guess they have more urgent problems.

Gen

wim

Way back

wim

Wim, many thanks for that link!!

I thought I remembered not long after I'd started with Alamy in January 2007 the number going up to 7.77 million, your link confirms that. It was 7.62 million on the 25th January, the day after I joined.

That figure seemed astronomical at the time, it must be galling for newcomers when they see the figure at 59,564,232 !!

John.

I mentioned to MS the other day about multiple similars (and I mean VERY similar although not 100% the same) that push other photos off the top spots. I also mentioned how there are often such terrible looking photos near the top that this affects decent ones being seen on the first page (I don't mean that they are poor photos in my opinion, but they really are terrible and there is no doubt nobody would ever buy them). Their reply didn't mention either of those things, annoyingly. Alamy should at least take it seriously if it's brought to their attention that there are photos or collections of photos that would in no way pass QC if they had been checked.

Could you give some examples?

wim

Archived