Heads Up: LR6 is out

Saw this and figured I might as well give it a go (the upgrade for £59). Clearly rumours of subscription only were incorrect. The GPU-related enhancements are the attraction for me as well as the ability to do panoramas in Lightroom. Upgrade was seamless - it keeps the old catalogues when converting and LR5 remains available. My conversion from 4 to 5 was not so seamless.

Adobe claims the GPU enhancements speed up various processes in the develop module. It seems snappier in the develop module but I have not noticed any major increase in speed despite having some pretty decent graphics processing power on my Mac. I'm working on 16bit 36MP files so they do test the performance. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the time to generate a full size preview. The graphics in terms of moving around the screen at full size are not a lot different as far as I can see. Photoshop (CS6) graphics are still way better - very smooth and fast in comparison.

The one panorama I did took about the same time as opening and merging the raws in PS. There are fewer options for the merge than in PS. It automatically saves the merge as a DNG which is very interesting as this was not previously available in PS and presumably means one is saving the raw data in the merged file and can be further worked on in Lightroom with the same benefits as working on raws.

Conclusion so far from limited time testing: probably worth the upgrade price and the good news is that it is possible to upgrade rather than subscribe.

It's out for Creative Cloud on the PC.  Also new updates for Bridge and Photoshop (at least on the PC).  I'm working on installing the updates now.

Will check if there are updates for the Mac once the PC version is updated.

Well, seems to be a bust.  Software updated but won't launch.  I'll deal with it tomorrow when I have more time.  Will wait to install on the Mac until I figure out what the issues are with the PC.

This seems to be common judging by the various fora (I don't have CC); the first step seems to be to log out of CC and then log back in again. Good luck Ed.

There is an update for PSCS6 Mac but it is only the latest version of ACR (now 9) and no problems updating. LR6 is working fine as well - totally seamless upgrade so far.

Saw this and figured I might as well give it a go (the upgrade for £59). Clearly rumours of subscription only were incorrect. The GPU-related enhancements are the attraction for me as well as the ability to do panoramas in Lightroom. Upgrade was seamless - it keeps the old catalogues when converting and LR5 remains available. My conversion from 4 to 5 was not so seamless.

Adobe claims the GPU enhancements speed up various processes in the develop module. It seems snappier in the develop module but I have not noticed any major increase in speed despite having some pretty decent graphics processing power on my Mac. I'm working on 16bit 36MP files so they do test the performance. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the time to generate a full size preview. The graphics in terms of moving around the screen at full size are not a lot different as far as I can see. Photoshop (CS6) graphics are still way better - very smooth and fast in comparison.

The one panorama I did took about the same time as opening and merging the raws in PS. There are fewer options for the merge than in PS. It automatically saves the merge as a DNG which is very interesting as this was not previously available in PS and presumably means one is saving the raw data in the merged file and can be further worked on in Lightroom with the same benefits as working on raws.

Conclusion so far from limited time testing: probably worth the upgrade price and the good news is that it is possible to upgrade rather than subscribe.

Regarding the GPU enhancements - there seems to be bug regarding AMD cards reporting that OpenGL requirements are not met (even when they clearly are). Have this problem myself with my desktop. Lower spec laptop with Nvida card enables GPU acceleration. At the Adobe forum there are loads of people with the same problem. 

Downloaded it about 15mins ago. I'm on the CC package, and to be honest, nothing to report. Still works the same as 5.7 did. Reports of a 1000% faster are certainly not my experience yet. For what it is, and how close it's rivals are, LR seems to be no longer the go to, but a fail safe for quickness. After using Capture One 8, I don't see how LR does things any better. CO8 seems to just auto correct a lot of things for you and does it really well. 

The HDR is very, very good. No colour casts and if you aren't using de-ghosting...very quick. Best HDR I've used, better than SNS from first trial.

Will be saving me  abundle of time if it works consistently.

The ability to save merged panoramas as raw images is definitely a major boon from my perspective - e.g. colour and black and white 16-bit raw versions from the one DNG image - excellent (I've never liked the LR virtual copy stuff - too LR specific).

The enhanced grad filter is also a big plus - it's possible to edit and refine a grad filter with the adjustment brush which gives much greater control. I have tended to use the grad filter quite a lot in previous versions but it was often too coarse for what I wanted and too much messing with separate adjustment brushes to get it right. This one is looking good. 

I actually kind of like the new lightroom, it's way faster then the old one.

I think this is due to the cuda cores which are now being utilized. I don't think the last one really used them, if at all. 

Just feels better  :D i'm happy

I actually kind of like the new lightroom, it's way faster then the old one.

I think this is due to the cuda cores which are now being utilized. I don't think the last one really used them, if at all. 

Just feels better  :D i'm happy

Can you qualify (what operations) and quantify (how much) "way faster"?

Most obvious speed up is the response of the image to sliders (in dev module) - there's no lag in the image changing as you move the sliders.

The difference between CPU and GPU is not as apparent as in other softwares (Blender for example) but it's nice to see cuda processing/OpenGL being used for less intensive operations.

Been using the HDR a little more and it's curate's egg. Nice natural look which keeps a load of info in the highlights but can't seem to function well with more than 6 or 7 images to merge. I've disabled GPU which seems to help. It is doing a better job than SNS HDR but there's more work to do in post than simply luminance masking highlights from SNS and putting on a 'base' image.

I get the feeling the GPU use is not as great an advance in LR CC as it was in PS CC. I'll sacrifice the speed for image response from sliders to have use of the rather good HDR.

Seems that some folks who are trying to buy and install the upgrade via the non CC route are having some issues.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1823749

I think I'll wait a while before giving it a try...

The negatives always tend to sound a lot louder than the positives. This is probably a tiny minority of users. Something always goes wrong for somebody. 

I've had no problem. Purchased and downloaded the new version from seeing this link a few days ago- up and running in about half an hour. The upgrade didn't recognise the older version on my Mac and asked for a serial number which I had to hand - I keep a file with all of my serial numbers. 

I get the feeling the GPU use is not as great an advance in LR CC as it was in PS CC. I'll sacrifice the speed for image response from sliders to have use of the rather good HDR.

I don't know about usage of the GPU for general processes but Lightroom has light years to go to match Photoshop in the graphics department. CS6 made some major advances in graphics speed. Lightroom feels more like Leadroom in comparison. I will continue to open all images into Photoshop after initial LR assessment for flick panning and zooming just to check for sharpness to see if they are keepers or not.

Is there a link to upgrade  for non-CC users? Everything I click on takes me to Creative Cloud.

Thanks.

Yes I was linked to CC too but if you scroll down there is a link to buy for desktop only.

Allan

Not used it yet though as I may stick with 5.7 anyway.

Allan

Yes I was linked to CC too but if you scroll down there is a link to buy for desktop only.

Allan

Not used it yet though as I may stick with 5.7 anyway.

Allan

Thanks, Allan. Found it and am in the process of downloading, though with my internet it'll take 5 hours.

Archived