Problem with FTP upload

I set up my FTP upload (Filezilla) for Alamy. The connection is fine, the three folders appear. When I go to load an image I get a "critical file transfer error" most of the time. Just now I got a "transfer error #1, trying again later". So - some won't upload at all, some get error messages after they have.

I emailed member services with screen shots, to show my setup, to show I was connecting to Alamy OK, and to show the red "upload failed" message. After 36 hours I received a reply stating I need to put the files into the correct folders....which I can't do as they won't upload!

I've been using Filezilla to upload to more than a dozen places over the years.,..never had a problem. Agefotostock also have folders....always worked fine for me.

Any advice very much appeciated. thanks

thanks Armstrong......a batch of uploaded images has appeared my My Submissions....8 images - I loaded 2. Have written to MS to delete the batch! I think I'll stick to the old system at this stage. Don't want to change from Filezilla as it's set up for 14 other agents and works fine for me.

thanks for your advice.

Thanks for that Chuck - as I said, I wanted to stick with Filezilla as it's set up for all my other agents - and works perfectly. I'm wondering too, how the Alamy system would show 8 files loaded, when there was only two. And neither of those showed they actually loaded, I just got the error messages and the red "upload failed". If the Alamy system did allow the files to uploaded multiple times, then that's a glitch in their system - usually if a file tries to upload a second time, there is a warning message to say that it's already loaded.

I uploaded 11 this morning and Filezilla only showed 5 had been uploaded.  I kept an eye on the progress pane at the bottom and could tell that all 11 had been uploaded.  I didn't realize at first that I needed to click on the file folder named Stock to be able to upload the files.  It doesn't really seem to be any faster than the conventional method though.  I just muddled my way through with it on the first try.

FTP  probably won't be noticeably faster as the limiting factort is usually your broadband upload speed, a fraction of the download speed and it may not increase as that gets faster. My new 152Mbs Virgin connection is not noticeably faster than when I was on 120Mbs at around 11-12Mbs upload speed; I was told by Virigin that upload speeds are usually around 10% of upoad speed.

FTP should be more reliable and quicker in that if you get a broken connection it will continue where it left off, usually automatically. So no waiting to find out what uploaded before completeing the upload as now.

That 10% was Virgin's figure for their network, BT for me would be no faster apparently but I am aware others get better. I will look at it again in 12 months or so - 12Mbps upload will do for now but then I recall connection speeds of 110bps (no,I did not miss the "M" or "k" !) at the start of the PC revolution !

That 10% was Virgin's figure for their network, BT for me would be no faster apparently but I am aware others get better. I will look at it again in 12 months or so - 12Mbps upload will do for now but then I recall connection speeds of 110bps (no,I did not miss the "M" or "k" !) at the start of the PC revolution !

I remember those days well.  I think it would have been quicker to hand deliver (via rowing boat) some JPEG files I sent to a publishing house in South Carolina from my home in Plymouth :)

Tried FTP as well using Filezilla which I use for two other sites successfully. Makes connection and shows two trial upload files as 'successful' but don't appear in the target folder or in submissions track on Alamy. Maybe I have to wait? Did get various error messages along the way but Filezilla thinks the uploads were successful.

Not sure about the technical stuff, speeds etc but I have just been connected to high speed fibre broadband and my uploads to Alamy (not FTP) were going through at about one image per 5 seconds.  Can't really complain at that IMO.

Pearl

Just an update. I had written to MS to delete the batch - they did not, it went through QC. One file loaded 7 times, but it did not show in the FTP folder. The second file uploaded just once - it was the one with the red "upload failed" message. Neither file showed as loading, neither file showed in the folder. I did want to try it as I use mobile broadband, which does sometimes drop out......but after this hassle, will stick with the old system.

To add insult to injury, the first image in the batch failed QC for SOLD or camera shake. To me it looks pin sharp, certainly no camera shake. I checked it at 100% and at 200% (I clean at 200% as it's an underwater image - to get all the particles out of the water). I'm wondering if it didn't load properly. I'm not sure I want to stir the pot, so to speak, and ask MS to take another look. Neither do I want to reload it in the middle of another batch. It has been chosen into other edited collections though, so it does make me wonder. I'm just upset as it has blotted my previously very good QC record......

Archived