Any more on the Sony a6000?

I wonder if anyone out there both owns and is happy with the Sony a6000? The last post on this camera dripped with negativity.

At the moment, both Adorama and B&H are selling the a6000 body for $448. At the same time, the earlier NEX-7 is listed on eBay for prices that range from about $450 to $1,200. (I own a NEX-7 and a NEX-6.) What am I missing here? 

Yes yes yes, I know about waiting for the a7000 and the a30000 and so on . . . but what's going on here? 

Edo

Hello Ed,

I am shooting with Sony cameras for long time now. I also had Canon and Olympus. I saw different reviews about the Sony A6000 and and they where all very positive. Especially about the speed of the camera. I think myself if you like the NEX-6 you will love the A6000. Maybe these bad opinions comes from photographers that use DSLR and just dont like mirrorless in general?

Mirco

I didn't like the Sony A6000 and returned 3 of them.One was a freebie and I still gave it back.Cheepo kit lenses fell apart in my hand too.

The specs on the Sony A7000 sound  amazing and with the new and improved kit lens will be around $699.Apparently this will be more of a pro camera with a new sensor and also weather sealed.

L

What was it Macbeth said? "Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day. . . ." I am no longer going to be waiting for the next and then next model of anything.

And yes, Linda, I remember your post and your several a6000s well. But I'm specifically interested in hearing from people who own and use the a6000. And am I the only one here who finds those prices odd?  :wacko:

It sounds like you want to hear from me - an actual a6000 user. Okay. In my hands, the camera produces great raw files but has a very complex and deep menu structure that I almost certainly won't master until after it's time to replace it. I haven't tried video yet.

Linda, I suspect that you culled the lemons for us, mine worked fine right out of the box.

Just taken a look at the completed listings on Ebay and the NEX 7 with kit lens appears to be selling in the range from about $550 to around $700. The more expensive deals (than this) seem to include additional lenses.

Sales of digital cameras are falling, phones taking over, the market is doing strange things. 

Sony offloading a6000's due to new model about to appear?

I would have bought one but currently hanging on for better viewfinder.

Re durability, my NEX 6 has taken much abuse without complaint.

Sony churns out new models at such a rapid pace that they probably can't keep up with their own pricing. The a6000 body is going for about $500 (CAN) at some stores in Canada. Sounds like a good deal to me, but the shine hasn't worn off my NEX-6 yet.

To buy or not to buy, that is the question...

Interesting test of various lenses on the a6000 on the DXOmark web site here

Their sensor comparison of NEX 6, 7 and a6000 here  seems to fly in the face of user opinion relating to 6 versus 7?

Thanks. Interesting that they haven't even bothered to test the Zeiss 16-70 by the looks of it.

Their sensor comparison of NEX 6, 7 and a6000 here  seems to fly in the face of user opinion relating to 6 versus 7?

Thanks. Interesting that they haven't even bothered to test the Zeiss 16-70 by the looks of it.

Did you scroll down to the bottom of the first page? Usual mixed bag of comments about the lens, and concern that it had not been included in the review. Too many negative vibes for me to buy unfortunately.

Did you scroll down to the bottom of the first page? Usual mixed bag of comments about the lens, and concern that it had not been included in the review. Too many negative vibes for me to buy unfortunately.

Thanks, Bryan, I hadn't read the comments about the 16-70. It is a mixed bag indeed. People seem to love it or hate it. The Zeiss16-70 is too pricey for me anyway. The original Sony 18-55 -- guess I got a good one (made in Thailand) -- is still doing the job as a general-purpose lens on the NEX-6. I can't really justify getting into major debt over camera equipment at this stage of the game. It would have been interesting to see how DXO rated the 16-70, though, given the varying opinions.

Before looking over the two links Bryan posted, with the side-by-side tech Sony mirrorless comparisons, I had thought for a minute that I might trade in my NEX-7 for an a6000. I figure that would cost me around $200 to $250. As it turns out the two cameras are very much alike, with each having some advantages over the other. The NEX-7 has a better viewfinder, while low-light is somewhat better on the a6000. They both have 24.3MP sensors. 

But our other Brian in NJ says about the a6000: "but (it) has a very complex and deep menu structure that I almost certainly won't master until after it's time to replace it." That is exactly the reason I want to get rid of the NEX-7. I mostly use my RX10 now, and although the NEX-7 is a very good backup camera I find I need to relearn its functions; my NEX-6 is easier. So I seem to be at a dead end here. It seems that the cheapest thing to do is -- nothing.

I know, I know . . . wait for the perfect new a7000. No. I'm not lusting after a new camera. I'm selling things off. And I don't know about each of you, but I'm very tired of being led around by this update ring in my nose. I still get sales of images that were captured with my "old" Nikon D200. And Alamy keeps lowering the minimal pixels need. 

It is a puzzlement.  :unsure:

Something I keep in mind is that if I keep "upgrading" to more demanding, higher MP cameras, I'm probably going to have to downsize files more often anyway or go out and spend money that I don't have on new lenses. Hmmm... might camera manufacturers have thought of that already?

Regarding the new minimum file size, I recently downsized (to 17 MB) a batch of slightly soft-looking (@100%) images that I had been holding back for several months, and they sailed through QC. Nice.

Just taken a look at the completed listings on Ebay and the NEX 7 with kit lens appears to be selling in the range from about $550 to around $700. The more expensive deals (than this) seem to include additional lenses.

Sony offloading a6000's due to new model about to appear?

The NEX 7 is, probably, a non repeatable camera: why will Sony produce a high end APS 1400$ camera if they are now selling a pretty nice FF for that price?

NEX 7 is a better built camera than the A6000 (that is a good camera, despite some people having sampling issues with it) and the only problem I find is that Lightroom never like NEX 7's RAW files...

Pardon my lack of digital sophistication, Poko, but doesn't the newer a6000 have the same sensor as the NEX-7? -- the 23.5 x 15.6 mm Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor? Are you saying the a6000 does better in Lightroom? I use LR and I have never had any problems myself using LR with either my NEX-7 or NEX-6; no images shot with any of my NEX Sonys ever failed Alamy QC. (I also have an NEX-3.) My troubles with QC began with my RX10, and I think I was not totally familiar with that camera: user errors. 

Pardon my lack of digital sophistication, Poko, but doesn't the newer a6000 have the same sensor as the NEX-7? -- the 23.5 x 15.6 mm Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor? Are you saying the a6000 does better in Lightroom? I use LR and I have never had any problems myself using LR with either my NEX-7 or NEX-6; no images shot with any of my NEX Sonys ever failed Alamy QC. (I also have an NEX-3.) My troubles with QC began with my RX10, and I think I was not totally familiar with that camera: user errors. 

The a6000 probably does have the same basic sensor as the NEX-7 but with improvements and additions, such as phase-detection AF pixels. Only the Sony wizards know for sure, though.

As far as i know the A6000 could indeed have the same megapixel but have anyway better sensor as far as noise handling goes. In time the sensors of Sony are becoming better and better. A sensor of 36 megapixel in maybe 5 years will handle noise much better then a sensor from now with 16 megapixels. Just take an old alpha camera. For example looking at my old Sony A200 10 megapixel files they have far more noise at 400iso then my 16 megapixel Nex-6 files on the same setting.

Mirco

No, Mirco, not just the same megapixels . . . the a6000 and the NEX-7 have the very same sensor: 23.5 x 15.6 mm Exmor APS HD CMOS. The a6000 has other pluses, wi fi being one. But the a6000's viewfinder is not anywhere as good that that on the NEX-7. If you are going out to buy your first E-mount Sony today, the a6000 has a very attractive price. But I've owned the NEX-7 for a couple of years now, so I'll hold firm. I have no interest in wi fi, but I want to keep the much better viewfinder that both the NEX-7 and 6 have.  B)

According to DXO, there isn't a lot of difference among the three NEX-6/NEX-7/a6000 sensors.

The NEX-7 sensor only has contrast-detection (no phase-detection) AF pixels, though. Having used both the NEX-3 (contrast-detect AF only) and the NEX-6, I can say that having phase-detect AF does help significantly when photographing moving subjects. Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be a big difference between the two types of AF.

• 1 month later...

the sensor on the A6000 is not the same as the one on the NEX7. The A6000 might have the same size and MP count, but it's sensor is newly designed, with different toppings, that make the A6000 more friendly when using wide angle and ultra wide angle lenses.

Don't take me wrong: I still use my NEX7 (and I won't sell it, because the price dropped so dramatically is better to keep it than sell it)

I'm now using Capture 1 for Sony (the free version) when editing NEX7 files and I'm pleased with the result, better than what I get with the same files and Lightroom (that I use for the rest of my workflow)

Apologies for off topic drift, but Canon appear to be upping their Mirrorless game with a 24 MP camera with improved autofocus, external manual controls, and an optional electronic view finder. Predicted price for, I assume, body only £600.

Canon sensors appear to have lagged Sony in recent years, but I will look our for and read the reviews.

My lovely 24-105 f4 L Canon lens would, presumably, fit with an adapter, but result in a rather weighty package.

Might help spur Sony to get act together on crop frame mirrorless.

I always found the menu structure on the NEX 6 to be a bit of a pain to work through. The menu structure on the A7ii is a dream in comparison. Hopefully the A7000 has a similar menu setup to the A7ii. (If anyone wants a carefully used NEX 6 PM me for details)

Archived