Good question Ed.

I would probably leave it out. If you are looking for a picture of a Pizza, you are going to type in "Pizza". Big Ben would be "Big Ben" etc.

I would have thought "travel" would invite too many asides.

Richard and Philippe,

We three are in step on this, but if you search "travel" on Alamy you get 5,533,307 hits. Most of those are destination images and not illustrating the general concept of travel. (But there are some smart concept images.) 

Philippe, no disrespect aimed at Belgium, but I had a pizza for diner in Bruges a few years ago, and I assure you I will not be suggesting anyone go there for pizza. 

Tourism? Hmm. That's a harder question. 

I use travel, transport, traveling, travelling etc if the picture shows a means of travel or people travelling; or a tourist office or something like that, or currency exchange bureau. I do not now use it as a tag for travel pictures because on that basis, all my shots should have that keyword even ones local to me.

I think David hit the nail on the head there. If I walk 15 minutes from my house I am standing next to Salisbury Cathedral, which I have photographed many times, needless to say. I have never considered the word "travel" for one moment. My main key wording of course, would be "salisbury cathedral".

Which brings us back to: "Pizza", "Big Ben", "Japanese Kids" etc. etc. I think I have used the word travel in connection with aircraft, cars, motorcycles, public transport and the like.

Pretty clear cut I think Ed. Forget the word Travel!!!

I tend to agree with David as well. It's tempting if you are travelling and you take a picture in a popular travel destination to include the word travel and derivatives. I have been guilty in the past.

My approach nowadays is to only include it if it does indeed illustrate travel, either actually or conceptually. Same goes for holiday,vacation etc, and many other words in a similar vein.

A quick search of %travel% in AofA suggests that the word is used in a large number of searches (over 200 searches in the last month), but usually as part of a descriptive phrase seeking to illustrate travel in some context.

Ken

David is quite right. I think. I, too, have included the words in both spellings in too many cases. Ought to remove from a number of images.

And then again, a few subjects like f.inst. Big Ben, the Little Mermaid, the Eiffel Tower, etc. are so connected to traveling / travelling, travel  in people's minds - that the keywords perhaps would be acceptable??

I don't use the word "travel" so much, but "tourism" instead, especially for historical buildings and well known landmarks. For pictures about public transport or people lugging heavy suitcases, I do use "travel, travelling, traveling".

Don't see any reason for using "travel" (or "tourism") for a pizza picture :huh:

Cheers,

Philippe

+1

I have never seen the point. 'Travel' could apply to any picture taken of any place, because unless you live there, you have to travel to see it. I use it for pictures of transport, people who are clearly traveling, but wonder if there's any point with over 5 million images using the same keyword. 

Having said that, I've just checked 'customer search activity' and it does get used, in conjunction with other words. (9 searches for just 'travel' got 39,240 views and 56 zooms!)

I occasionally use 'tourism' for images including obvious tourists (groups with cameras, getting out of a coach, excursion ticket kiosks etc) but not for general travel images.

I use travel, transport, traveling, travelling etc if the picture shows a means of travel or people travelling; or a tourist office or something like that, or currency exchange bureau. I do not now use it as a tag for travel pictures because on that basis, all my shots should have that keyword even ones local to me.

+1

I use the "T-word" because I can't think of a good reason not to.

Also, I used to submit to another agency that asked contributors to include "travel" in their keywords (probably for the purpose of creating galleries), so I just got into the habit of doing so. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

• Because Lonely Planet has called our city “Europe’s best kept secret”.
  • Because National Geographic Traveler Magazine has listed Ghent as the third most authentic historic city in the world and full of life.
  • Because you must witness with your own eyes what Napoleon and the mysterious thief of ‘The Just Judges’ panel already knew: The Mystic Lamb really is key to European art history.

Cheers,

Philippe (lives in ....... guess where :rolleyes:)

+1.

half a dozen visits. A handy halfway house to Germany but well worth a stopoff in its own right.

In 2002 we had an epic lunch with friends at the Graf von Egmond, sadly now defunct, during the changeover to the euro when no-one seemed to know the convergence rate. I think it was to our benefit. It is still talked about in our circle of friends. Sadly no pix as it was before my digital time. €1.62 to the £. Happy and inexpensive days.

Sold 2 Westmalle pix from a bar on the Graslei in 2009. So that trip was a bit cheaper.

>> I have never seen the point. 'Travel' could apply to any picture taken of any place...

The point: to bloody maximizing licen$ing

Best way to decide when to use "travel", AFAIK:

search "%travel%" in MeasuresAll 1 yr period & study returns

I agree. If you check through the results they are almost all, with the exception of "travel and France", searches for travelling-related subects (travel aganet; travel journal; travel trains; travel documents; travel medicine......) rather than just searches for places. The results seems to vindicate the restriction of the use to images relating to the act of travelling rather than world destinations.

I just checked Alamy's lightbox called "Travel".

As a rule you could imagine some sort of mental or physical transportation or travelling in the images except in a few images of very well-known travel destinations.

Archived