Apologies if I'm being dense, but Alamy has contacted me to advise that I utilise the DACS payback scheme to claim outstanding royalties. They have also indicated the number of licences they believe I can claim for.

My question is, how do I know what images have been copied/photocopied or used more than once?

Guidance appreciated please. Thanks

You don't know about the images being photocopied etc.

DACs gets money from general licenses/funds which are not specific to your images. I would count your uses (as per the blog entry) yourself, I don't think Alamy is using the right figures.

Richard,

The number of images copied or used is unknown and not needed for a DACS application.

DACS normally requires ISBN numbers for some of your sales.  This is not available from Alamy.  Instead DACS accept a copy of the Alamy Sales report.  You can make this from the sales report button on the front page of My Alamy.

You do not include any pricing info.  You need image details for "cleared"  with dates up to end December 2013.

Only Books and Magazines should be included.  And only for UK, Worldwide or World English Language.

Hope this helps...

Hi - this is new to me as well.  The "create a sales report" does not show the territory - do you just manually filter it for UK and worldwide yourself?  And it looks like you go back as far as you can for "Date Cleared"?  Is that correct?

Thanks

Chi-pa

Richard,

The number of images copied or used is unknown and not needed for a DACS application.

DACS normally requires ISBN numbers for some of your sales.  This is not available from Alamy.  Instead DACS accept a copy of the Alamy Sales report.  You can make this from the sales report button on the front page of My Alamy.

You do not include any pricing info.  You need image details for "cleared"  with dates up to end December 2013.

Only Books and Magazines should be included.  And only for UK, Worldwide or World English Language.

Hope this helps...

Peter just to clarify.

Does Dacs need the sales report showing each individual licence. and by sending them this report they won't need any ISBN numbers at all.

Regards

Craig

I called DACS to clarify the procedures.

I was told that I should complete the claim form using "Alamy claim 2103" in the mandatory form fields, submit the form, then email a copy of my Alamy statement to the address on the DACS website.

That is what I have done, using the Alamy sales report form to create a .csv file, for the period to 31 December 2013: I ticked all the boxes except those with financial details to create the report.  Now I will wait to hear with what results.

As it is the first time I have done this, will DACS only accept claims for the year 2013 and not previous years?

To the best of my knowledge you only claim for 2013 this year. 2014 next year and so on.

Allan

Thanks Allan

I will add a rider to my previous post in that the list of Alamy licensed images I send to DACS includes images from earlier years as well. DACS will sort what they need and you never know. ;)

Allan

I called DACS to clarify the procedures.

I was told that I should complete the claim form using "Alamy claim 2103" in the mandatory form fields, submit the form, then email a copy of my Alamy statement to the address on the DACS website.

That is what I have done, using the Alamy sales report form to create a .csv file, for the period to 31 December 2013: I ticked all the boxes except those with financial details to create the report.  Now I will wait to hear with what results.

Thanks Graham. Very helpful.

I just received the mail from Alamy in which they say that as I am based outside the UK I cannot claim direct myself...

For info:  

I have been successfully claiming directly from outside the UK for the last 3 years, and  I've just completed this years claim form, and it shows my address as it has been for the last 3 claims, in Tenerife, Spain, and it went through without any problem.

There may be an issue about new claims that does not affect me. 

Phil

Phil- what do you need to include along with the claim form?

Thanks

As stated before….

On claim form put Alamy claim 2013.

Then in a separate e mail to dacs sent a copy of your Alamy statement from 2013. 

Easypeasy ;)  :D

Phil

From the actual DACs claim form (online)

"Please tell us if your ‘usual’ country of residence is in the UK. This is the country in which you are resident and in which you pay tax.

We need you to declare which country you live in. This is because we are required to withhold tax from your royalty payment if you are a resident of a country outside of the UK. This is at the UK standard rate - currently 20%."

Not sure where Alamy got the information in their email if it's as reported.

Hi Everyone!

My first post here.

Does anyone know how much they recover per photograph? I got the email saying they will claim on my behalf.

Its a pretty large number of images it seems I have not been paid for. 

Thanks!

Archived