Problem with uploading files over 30mb

Since last week I am not able anymore to upload over 30 Mb files for unknown reasons. Having a D800, many (edited) files bypass such size. Alamy uploader when meets such files say 1 then 2 of 5 attemts and then give up by saiying "can't connect to Alamy". Instead, I don't have problem with uploading less than 30 Mb files. I have been uploading heavy files taken with my D800 regularly in the last almost 2 years till last week when I started to experience this kind of problem. I use Firefox as browser. Tried to change with Safari but the problem remains. Anyone who is experiencing this problem?

Stefano

1.jpg2.jpg

If I do some editing then the file easily gets over 30 Mb. If I downsize the file then I get some artefacts and I got as result a failed QC (that's what just happened to me!) :(

Anyway, this means it's an Alamy's problem then!

I thought Alamy had a maximum compressed file size of 25MB but I can't find any reference to it now. Perhaps things have changed.  Aside from that, I have had similar problems in the past with much smaller file sizes and I have put it down to my internet speed which has improved recently and the problem has stopped.

Pearl

Downsizing with PS shouldn't produce artefacts, however if you don't want to go that route simply save at a lower compression level - 11 will not make any visible difference to end result. When I get asked for files to be sent direct to client, the compressions are much lower levels usually 9.

I agree with Geoff's comments above. You're obviously using Quality 12 when saving which, without meaning to cause offence, is a waste of time.

When Alamy first changed to asking for JPEGs instead of TIFFs, I used to save at Q12 - but that was when files were much smaller. About 5 years ago, I did extensive tests on a variety of images and concluded that there was absolutely no discernible difference between saving at Q10 and Q12 - and the files are about 1/3 the size. On my D800, I rarely have an image that gets over 10mb. More importantly, in the almost 7000 licenses I've made, I've never had an image refunded for reasons of quality. I think if Alamy had any concerns, they wouldn't suggest that files can be saved at Q10.

Ian D

I wrote about it to the membes' service and, as usual, I got an answer back which showed they didn't understand at all my problem. Were you more lucky than me if you wrote them, John? ;)

I have this problem too with files from my D800.  Uploading simply stays at 0%.  I have had no previous issues uploading files over 25MB.  The problem persists with different web browsers.  

Quote from blog: "Now that’s out of the way let’s move onto file size. Jpeg is a compressed file format. The compressed file size (size on disk) varies with picture content and should be ignored, as long as it’s no bigger than 25MB, which is our upper limit for Jpeg size."

http://www.alamy.com/Blog/contributor/archive/2007/02/22/783.aspx

Oh, Vincent beat me to it....  :)

There is no limit in uploading over 25 Mb files as I have done that for 2 years already regularly without any problem.

If you have a D800 camera and you do some significative editing in your pics then resulting files from RAW to JPG (via TIFF) come often in over 30 Mb size.

Till last week, I never experienced any problem in uploading files over 30 Mb. Suddenly, from then, every time I try to upload files over 30 Mb the upload remains at 0%. Same thing seems to happen to other contributors owning my same camera.

I wrote several times already to the members service and the only reply I got is that I can't upload over 25 mb files. As usual they don't read carefully what someone is trying to explain!!

This is becoming so much frustrating!

Not sure what the point is.... Alamy may have relaxed the 25mb jpeg limit for a while but clearly it seems it might now be back in action.

Ian D uses the camera, uploads at level 10. he's offered an obvious solution but no takers?????

:huh:

I sent already 3 emails but as usual I got useless replies from them.

I really wish there would be european or nort american staff  at the Member Services. Unfortunately not! :angry:

I really wish there would be european or nort american staff at the Member Services. Unfortunately not! :angry:

You may be angry, but I don't like the way you discredit the staff at Alamy's Member Service. I have never had any reason to doubt or be dissatisfied with the always truly qualified help and responses they have given me in any way, they are normally very helpful.

I think the thread shows that there are ways to get around this problem....

Niels

I really wish there would be european or nort american staff at the Member Services. Unfortunately not! :angry:

You may be angry, but I don't like the way you discredit the staff at Alamy's Member Service. I have never had any reason to doubt or be dissatisfied with the always truly qualified help and responses they have given me in any way, they are normally very helpful.

I think the thread shows that there are ways to get around this problem....

Niels

I had enough very unprofessional answers from Alamy's Members Services to be very unsatisfied about. If you had better experience good for you then!

I emailed member services re. the problem.  I got a phone call.  The upload process has been tweaked.  Unfortunately, large file uploads such as those from the D800 at high quality seem to be compromised.  Alamy are looking into this but in the meantime suggest uploading files at a lower quality.  I have been uploading at quality 10 rather than 12 and the uploads have gone through and passed quality control.  I hope this helps.

I too are having problems uploading from my D800 which I have not experienced until a couple of weeks ago which seems to be the problem that fellow members have found. Surely then something has changed at the Alamy end for this to have happened.

David

Archived