Google images search results

Yes it has been discussed before, and yes, they do increasingly appear in image search results, a search for 'Henley Standard Offices' for example, brings up four of my images (first four).  When you click on one of the images, it is displayed in the following format: http://www.alamy.com/stock-photos/DT27YR/Offices-of-the-Henley-Standard-newspaper-part-of-the-Higgs-Group-Henley.html. The default template appears to promote licensing at the £39 'Marketing package - Small business' rate.

Personally, I'm quite happy with this - all the images are watermarked, and it is very clear that they are being displayed with the express purpose of being licensed.  If anything, I should say that this should aid licensing.

Yes it has been discussed before, and yes, they do increasingly appear in image search results, a search for 'Henley Standard Offices' for example, brings up four of my images (first four).  When you click on one of the images, it is displayed in the following format: http://www.alamy.com/stock-photos/DT27YR/Offices-of-the-Henley-Standard-newspaper-part-of-the-Higgs-Group-Henley.html. The default template appears to promote licensing at the £39 'Marketing package - Small business' rate.

Personally, I'm quite happy with this - all the images are watermarked, and it is very clear that they are being displayed with the express purpose of being licensed.  If anything, I should say that this should aid licensing.

Hmmm...interesting. No doubt this has been dealt with before on the forum, but why are some images coming up in Google searches, and the vast majority not?

I think the ones that can be found by a Google Image search was viewed when Google was visiting.

To be honest I prefer Google not to find my images. That would mean even further infringement of copyright, and use of images with watermarks. Alamy customers are mostly professionals.

I started a forum thread on this a while back http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/2092-alamy-hosted-pictures-starting-to-appear-in-google-search-results/#entry31459, if you look towards the end Craig Yates posted the following

I emailed member services and got the following reply.

"This is a new route to bring new customers through to our site via Google images and for this we’ve introduced a new look comp to simplify the buying process for them."

It looks like this has been recently refined.  Only a few images seem to be available to the search (search for Your pseudonym / Alamy) but visiting the page leads to a sales page and displays tiny thumbnails of your latest 8 images with the option to see all your images for that pseudonym within the Alamy site.

Got to help with sales.

Those "Promotional" images actually have been refreshed, assume by Alamy, from time to time. I say those are promotional because it has link lead to each photographer's portfolio with your latest images. Alamy's way to say "You like this picture? Here are some more from this photographer". Good thing I think.

It looks like this has been recently refined.  Only a few images seem to be available to the search (search for Your pseudonym / Alamy) but visiting the page leads to a sales page and displays tiny thumbnails of your latest 8 images with the option to see all your images for that pseudonym within the Alamy site.

Got to help with sales.

Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn't clicked on mine for a while and now I see some have "Similar Images" showing and all have the thumbnails for the last 8 images I uploaded. Quite an incentive to get busy uploading more.

Paulette

Edit: Lately when I search Google with my Pseudonym/Alamy the page that shows up is the 3rd page of results (which actually has nothing that is me.) I then have to click on the 1 at the bottom of the page to get to the first page of results. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

I have 3 pseudonyms, Googling each of them /Alamy brings up a number of references to this forum and a few of my images on the first page.  

One pseudonym is simply "Peter Jordan" which produces my images first in the line and then a number by another photographer of the same name.   (He is the one with the pictures of Margaret Thatcher).

Trying the same searches on Bing produces similar results.   As someone said, clicking through on the images, gets to an offer to sell for £39.   I am quite happy with that.

Another Google thing, I have it set to a google alert for my name/Alamy.   This works quite well as in recent weeks it has identified 3 newspaper usages not yet appeared as sales.

Another Google thing, I have it set to a google alert for my name/Alamy.   This works quite well as in recent weeks it has identified 3 newspaper usages not yet appeared as sales.

Peter I did not know you could do that. Just looked on google but could not find the setup page. Can you direct me please?

Allan

Google google alerts.

Thanks Mark. Why didn't I think of that?  Doh! :wacko:

Alerts set up. Now to think of some others. :)

Allan

Google google alerts.

Thanks Mark. Why didn't I think of that?  Doh! :wacko:

Alerts set up. Now to think of some others. :)

Allan

Glad you got it OK (I was busy keywording).   I set mine up a  very long time ago and could not see how to do until I too googled it.

I set it up just with my name and Alamy.   This works fine on the rare occasions when it is correctly attributed (Name/Alamy),  the Guardian newspaper does this, but not many others do.

While I think of it, I will now set separate alerts for each of my pseudos.

• 1 month later...

Jill,

To give you an idea on timescale, I had a Guardian image published 3rd June that showed up on the Google Alert.

It was reported as an Alamy sale on 30th June.

Maybe they have a month-end clear up and advise Alamy of usages.

In the past I have had them take up to 3 months to appear.

I have a different kind of problem when I google myself as Ed Rooney. Much of what comes up has to do with the actor Jeffery Jones playing the high school principal, Ed Rooney, in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. What usually comes up for me are excepts from this forum and . . . pictures of Mickey Rooney, Andy Rooney and Wayne Rooney. Once in a while an image of mine shows up, usually bookmarked. I don't use Flicker or like sites. I can also come across a record I made for Decca many years ago: "Tonight Is My Night to Cry," when I was known as Eddie Rooney.   :)  http://www.cdandlp.com/item/2/0-1111-0-1-0/1074690997/eddie-rooney-tonight-is-my-night-to-cry-put-together.html  (Even if you're rich and curious, do yourself a favor and don't buy this record.) 

I'm glad this subject came up because it spurred me to check today and I found an image of mine that sold in Brazil last August.

http://www.editoraibep.com.br/pnld2015/arte/files/assets/basic-html/page72.html

The Masai women are mine. It was a small sale but they paid right away -- unlike a Brazil sale from June of 2012. Then when I was looking to see when I sold the image I discovered another sale of Masai woman today. It hasn't shown in my Dashboard yet so very nice to discover it. I'm going to Brazil next month -- to the Pantanal to search for jaguars!!!

Paulette

I have a different kind of problem when I google myself as Ed Rooney. Much of what comes up has to do with the actor Jeffery Jones playing the high school principal, Ed Rooney, in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. What usually comes up for me are excepts from this forum and . . . pictures of Mickey Rooney, Andy Rooney and Wayne Rooney. Once in a while an image of mine shows up, usually bookmarked. I don't use Flicker or like sites. I can also come across a record I made for Decca many years ago: "Tonight Is My Night to Cry," when I was known as Eddie Rooney.   :)  http://www.cdandlp.com/item/2/0-1111-0-1-0/1074690997/eddie-rooney-tonight-is-my-night-to-cry-put-together.html  (Even if you're rich and curious, do yourself a favor and don't buy this record.) 

I had a similar problem. If I search on my name (which used to be my pseudo) there are lots of hits on the shooting of John Lennon (it wasn't me!). So I decided to move all my images to a new psuedo using a made up word that (at that time) had no hits on Google (web or images). I can now use Google image or web searches for search for the following string

"my pseudo" -alamy.com -allcanadaphotos.com -dijitalimaj.com -worksinprint.com

The "-" removes search results for images hosted by Alamy and some distributors who would otherwise appear in my search results.

Mark

Archived