A fellow-contributor has this morning asked me if I'd seen that seemingly all keywords are apparently visible at the bottom of a picture window? I hadn't.

Search through your own work and look at the very bottom of each window.

Is it a glitch or a permanent feature whose announcement we both missed?

Richard.

It looks like it is on every one's images!! Not good in my opinion. This will put the cat amongst the pigeons as people wake up today.

A few clicks of the mouse and you can speed up your key wording by copying and pasting other peoples research and hard work.

Regards

Craig

Why? Alamy is not unique in doing this. There are a number of other libraries out there that do exactly the same thing.

What do you all have to hide? If the work is good and shines above a competitor then that is what will sell.

Edit: If you notice, the keywords don't show in which category they have been placed so you don't know if it is a main; comprehensive etc

Alamy have always said that they take a very dim view of copy/pasting others' keywords.

We have been warned!

Richard. 

I am currently working through re key wording my portfolio and to do this properly it can take a lot of time and effort depending on the content of the image, (my initial strategy was to apply minimal keywords which has not worked for me)

i understand what you are saying Richard but this could open the flood gates to copying and pasting, will Alamy have the time and resource to police people that will without doubt copy keywords.

Regards

Craig

.. this could open the flood gates to copying and pasting

I'm not sure, Craig. I suppose people might do so when they have a near-identical picture, such as a landmark or object. Personally, I have situations on the Alamy system that are pretty unique in that they're often obscure and if anyone chooses to copy my sometimes bizarre keywords, they'll only be hurting their own CTR. 

But more to the point, as Craig suggests, how on earth are Alamy going to police this when they don't appear to have the resources to chase all those slow/non-payers?

Anyway, as I said in my OP, is this a glitch or permanent? It's unlike them to make a change like this without blogging about it.

Please be a glitch please be a glitch, But i just also checked on http://www.dijitalimaj.com/ one of the alamy distribution sites. they also can also see your key-wording now.....  OH maybe i'll dress up like a panda now and become an imaging conspiracy theorist.  

It always used to be like this, can't see it as a problem.

No, only esskeys used to be public.

A few years ago esskeys were hidden and  the main keys were visible.

Alan

I recall that all (or most) keywords were visible in the early days but there was such a problem with plagiarised keywords that Alamy reduced the visibility of keywords.

Why does someone searching for an image need the keywords at all? Image and a meaningful caption/ description should be sufficient.

This could also have implications for captioning.  For example, in the UK at least any vacuum cleaner is often called a Hoover regardless of make, or a 4x4 car is often called a Jeep.  I have taken the view that it is OK to use these terms as keywords to help somebody find an image but that anything visible such as caption and esskeys should be scrupulously accurate. If people can now see all of the keywords I would think they are entitled to expect them to be absolutely correct.

Steve

Martin Wilson said: "Why does someone searching for an image need the keywords at all? Image and a meaningful caption/ description should be sufficient."

​I agree. I can only hope this is a glitch as Alamy has not said anything to its contributors. The only other alternative I can think of is that Alamy might believe it will help sales if less successful contributors can see what more successful contributors are doing in the way of keywording. 

Kumar

It always used to be like this, can't see it as a problem.

No, only esskeys used to be public.

No, it was set out differently and the majority of keywords were visible

Mine only use to show essential keywords as well, also mine never showed any-other keyword sections until today! I'm in manage images and it says  "main and essential keywords: not visible on the website to others, since its your intellectual property" 

Will it help potential licensees?  Possibly, but at first glance, I'm not overly happy.  This will of course encourage plagiarism.  And Alamy will police that, will they?  Copying and pasting is sooo easy and keywording is such a chore, the temptation is going to be too great for many, methinks.  Anyhow, Alamy contributors are not the only ones who will take advantage of this.

I don't expect to be consulted on every little change, far from it: it is for Alamy to decide how to best promote and sell my images, but a little mention of it would have been nice.

Nothing to be done but forget it and move on?  Who knows, (doing my best to think positively, here) it might even help spread things around a little more and benefit both client and contributor?  Awaiting the next dozen sales to drop in now....

Archived