Magic Lantern software.

Is anyone using ML software for stills shooting - primarily interested for exposure bracketing.

I know of the risks but what's the reality in actual use.

very recently downloaded so haven't done much with it, but seems to work just fine - exposure bracketing I did use with no problems. Pretty simple overall - lots designed for video you won't be interested in though.

I hadn't come across this before. As a photographer and a software engineer the developer tools and API look particularly interesting for me. I don't like this bit though:

"remember that this software can damage or destroy your camera"

Alan

The FAQ's totally put me off using this for many months! Particularly;

"Is it safe?

No. Magic Lantern was created by reverse engineering an undocumented system that controls hardware. Therefore, we can't be certain that it's 100% safe."

Finally, I just went with how many people have already installed it on a 5DII and assumed it would all work out fine. Luckily it did!

Yes, it seems to be the general opinion on various forums that it's safe enough. I think I may take a chance and give it a try. My 5D2 is over 4 years old now so if I fry it I might be able to convince myself that I was due for a change!

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen that Corbis motion newsletter talks about using ML software for 'improved' video submissions so I guess that's some sort of tacit approval.

• 3 months later...

Just to update - I finally plucked up courage and installed the software - camera didn't explode and works a treat.

I was using a net book and Remotepro for tethered bracketing but I seemed to have broken the micro USB port so was forced to look at ML.

A belated thanks for replies. When camera does explode, I will further update :)

Archived