How to get rid of Spam

John Gaffen

To prevent spammers getting acess to the forum, Alamy should only permit contributors with images in their portfolio (e.g photographers), to use it. Anyone  with no images  should be barred from joining.  If necessary,  Alamy could also set a 'minimum number'  of images, say  50, before the forum becomes available. below this number,  contributors should be aloud to read to forum, but not contribute to it.  I am not trying to exclude people,I'm  just trying to propose a resonable way to exclude spammers from  disrupting it.

To prevent spammers getting acess to the forum, Alamy should only permit contributors with images in their portfolio (e.g photographers), to use it. Anyone  with no images  should be barred from joining.  If necessary,  Alamy could also set a 'minimum number'  of images, say  50, before the forum becomes available. below this number,  contributors should be aloud to read to forum, but not contribute to it.  I am not trying to exclude people,I'm  just trying to propose a resonable way to exclude spammers from  disrupting it.

But it's often the new members who need help - people who have failed the initial QC, for example and need some advice.

While the spammers are very annoying, ignoring them may be the best policy and let Alamy delete them as they come in.  I wonder how many people would really purchase a kitchen or anything else from a spammer. Spamming a forum like this is subversive and dishonest. Surely these ads must work against the companies and are providing a blacklist of where not to purchase a kitchen. Who would want to purchase a kitchen from someone they don't trust?

(edited for clarity)

I wouldn't have thought it was worth their while bothering to open an Alamy account just to for that. I mean how long does it take and what's the likely return? It would almost be more profitable to take up stock photography. :)

Out of 400 current sign ups, only 2 have been spam.

The best method to deal with it is for users to totally ignore it (i.e, don't post replies) and then we will remove it as soon as we can.

We won't be blocking the forum off for people with 0 images because it's important that new signups can use it to ask questions.

But what if I should want my kitchen remodeled? 

Seriously, I too find it disturbing to see people with zero images in their collection posting on the forum. But a minimum of 50? The other side of this coin is that it's when people are green and new that they most need veterans' advice. 

PS: Thanks, Alamy. I posted while you were posting. 

The best method to deal with it is for users to totally ignore it (i.e, don't post replies) and then we will remove it as soon as we can.

We won't be blocking the forum off for people with 0 images because it's important that new signups can use it to ask questions.

Didn't take long for a spammer to post . . . and it took just a tad longer for the advice about not posting replies to spammers to be ignored. Some things never change :-)

dd

We all fall short of perfection. (I strive for not really that bad.)  

Ed, you were talking about spammers, not to them, so I certainly wasn't refering to you :-)

dd

Don't want to be accused of spam as I posted this elsewhere  :D

What I don't understand is that the spam provides a name, address and telephone number! why doesn't Alamy ring them and tell them to halt and desist? are they saying this advertising is being done without their knowledge?

David

• 4 months later...

Anyone want to sign up for my proper diet lecture? It does not include Spam.  B)

My whole world vision doesn't include Spam . . . well, except where Monty Python are involved of course . . .

dd

Anyone want to sign up for my proper diet lecture? It does not include Spam.  B)

Spam fritters are my favourite BUT I don't eat them anymore. :(

Allan

Now I've depressed everybody. Sorry.   :(

:-) not at all, Ed. Any conversation that brings my thoughts around to Monty Python sure as heck ain't depressing to me at least :-)

dd

Archived