The way DACS works is like this:

DACS collects a certain amount of money. This "pot" is then shared out between the claimants.

The more claimants, the less each claimant gets. The pot does not increase in size with more claimants.

I know!  Just trying to help out poor s**ds who don't know about it - like me, who just discovered it last year, when I could have been claiming since 1999!  Surely, keeping schtum about something which someone has a legal right to claim so that 'we' can all have a larger slice of the pie isn't right?

Personally, I think that a little altruism is a good thing, no?  Or no?

Danny,

I was just innocently :D explaining how it works - in case you thought it was a closing down sale with the "Get your claim in quick!" Actually it might just be that as there are possible major changes afoot. :( 

I personally know of two professional stock photographers who died of altruism. :o 

I'm sure that your altruism is a noble thing, but Paul Thompson did point out a reality - the DACS scheme was to support professional 'artists' in getting paid for the exploitation of their work - it has extended itself to include hobbyists who have had a photograph published in a book !

I have no idea how many professional photographers there are on Alamy's books, but suspect that there are a damned site more part timers and hobbyists.  The scheme was not intended for them although a legitimate claim can of course be made.

The reality is that, as Paul Thompson said there is a limited resource and the more claimants the thinner the gruel - it is the world as it is - morality cuts both ways ......

Danny,

I was just innocently :D explaining how it works - in case you thought it was a closing down sale with the "Get your claim in quick!" Actually it might just be that as there are possible major changes afoot. :( 

I personally know of two professional stock photographers who died of altruism. :o 

Thanks for the explanation, Paul :) .

I do know that death by altruism in business can be quite common (from personal experience - though not in photography), but I'm on a mission to reverse that before I keel over.  I know that it's a losing battle, but hey, you've gotta do what you can while you're here!

David - your reply has just popped up while I've been writing this.  I do appreciate the feelings of those who need to earn their living from photography, and who see their earning power being eroded on a daily basis.  But to my mind anyone who has entitlement under a scheme is, well, entitled!  Their background or experience and the quantity of work which they have behind them in no way diminishes their rights.  How does anyone get started in a field if those with a solid background and knowledge behind them begrudge them basic awareness of where to begin.

Yes, of course Alamy is full of part timers and hobbyists - the vast majority, I would imagine - I'm (unashamedly) one!  Full-time professional photographers should be confident enough of their own abilities not to regard these individuals as a problem, surely?  You say that the DACS "...scheme was not intended for them".  Maybe not, I don't know - but it is now!

As Paul intimates, there may well be changes afoot - and I suppose that's probably due to the number of claimants for payback - something which DACS themselves are keen to increase, given their own promotion of the scheme on social networks.

If I have to have gruel rather than soup with bread and butter, that's fine by me - as long as those I'm sharing with have earned their gruel.  I do object to those who steal from the Internet (and elsewhere, of course!) and - like you - I do object to those who have plenty of cash, but refuse to pay their bills, or just attempt to get away with usage of images without reporting those usages (I'm thinking specifically of certain newspapers and distributors here).

If we could all just get what we are all legally and morally entitled to, then we'd all be happy, wouldn't we?  The pot would be the same, but with the fat cats denied their 'seconds', we could all have a bowl of soup each.  I'm off to have another dream now...

Hi Danny,

<<..As Paul intimates, there may well be changes afoot - and I suppose that's probably due to the number of claimants for payback>>

Thought I'd quickly say that that is not what I was intimating when I said "possibles changes afoot". As you've claimed from DACS; I take it that you have taken the steps to actually join DACS, filled in their questionaire and read their newsletters? If you have, you'll know what their concerns are. I'm not going to spell it out as I would expect those who have claimed money would have the moral (though not legal :P ) responsibility to learn about and support this organisation which is doing its best for professional photographers. It would be great to be on a crusade to get more members of DACS rather than just "drop-by claimants" wanting a quick and easy, legal, buck.

<<<..How does anyone get started in a field if those with a solid background and knowledge behind them begrudge them basic awareness of where to begin.>>..

I think it's the quick and easy, crowd-sourced, feel to it that's the problem. We all probably got some sort of help along the way - I certainly did. Many full-timers do give pointers here on a regular basis. Sometimes feels a bit expected, which tends to knock the shine off it a bit.

<<<If I have to have gruel rather than soup with bread and butter, that's fine by me - as long as those I'm sharing with have earned their gruel.>>>>

Earned their gruel! In total agreement :)

I have just asked my wife about just having gruel - sorry Danny, didn't go down well, not well at all in fact...looks as though that's knocked the 100% altruism on the head - I'll put in a bid for 50% but it's not looking good...25 is all we can hope for. :lol:

Love the "fat cats" remark...we are all skinnier than Kate Moss!

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

Errm join DACS?  You mean for Copyright Licensing?  To be honest, I have only just read through it (briefly), previously presuming that it referred to a conflicting service to that offered by other agencies where my work is up for licence.  I shall go have a more in-depth read shortly, but it appears that it's a worthwhile sign-up (unless these changes to which you refer, suggest a negative outlook here? :( ). Then I'll go have a hunt as to what the changes are - sorry for any presumption as to your meaning.  Please do point me in the right direction if you mean something else - thanks.

I have never received any newsletters from them, but I guess that's owing to me not being registered for their Copyright Licensing service.

Not too sure about moral responsibility to learn about and support the organisation, though!  One presumes that DACS is not a charity (despite being 'not-for-profit') and makes a living (able to pay wages, etc.) from the service(s) provided.

Trust me, I really do understand the feeling of being used when offering and giving help.  It happens all the time, but thankfully it doesn't prevent those who do it naturally from continuing to do it!  I have personally received an enormous amount of help from members of this forum and have been (and continue to be!) extremely grateful for it.  When and where I have felt able, I have also tried to proffer assistance, too - and will continue to do so.

I respect your dislike for gruel, but chuck us a couple of crumbs every now and again, eh?  Please?!

Crikey!  Who'd have thought my simple reminder would have caused such a stir?!  Maybe time to put this to bed now, as it looks like we're having a greenie war?! :lol:

All the best,

Danny

Hey Danny,

....<<<Crikey!  Who'd have thought my simple reminder would have caused such a stir?!  Maybe time to put this to bed now, as it looks like we're having a greenie war?!>>>..

I quite agree - especially as I'm 6-4 up at the moment. Anyway I hardly have any greenies; 'every bit helps' (or has that slogan already been used.) probably need to duck now in case my measly count is decimated by a red volley ;) 

I'll get back to you about that "concern" - I want to make sure I quote it correctly. You don't need to register for copyright licensing - I haven't but I might ask them more about it - they are very approachable and friendly, I've spoken to them on the phone a few times.

Got no crumbs to pass over but here's a green one - now it's 6-5.

Cheers,

Paul

• 1 month later...
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Did you submit for <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Payback13&src=hash">#Payback13</a>? We're paying over £4mill royalties to over 5,500 artists & estates today!</p>— DACS (@DACSforArtists) <a href="https://twitter.com/DACSforArtists/statuses/407452388564271105">December 2, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DACS just tweeted they are making payouts today. Check you bank balance :D

It took a couple of days from initiation for the majority of payments to go through last year. Except mine - they had the wrong BACS details and I eventually got it in February.

But they got updated and I was paid electronically when it did go through and so I'm much more hopeful of a pre-Christmas payment this year !

I checked on seeing that tweet and nothing so it wasn't a "faster payment" - I'll check again late Tuesday and then Thursday, but I won't be concerned until at least middle of next week.

They are very good when contacted though.

Nice to know the payments have gone out. It's my first time claiming it so it will be interesting to see what arrives in the bank account.

If anything. :huh:

Allan

Nice to know the payments have gone out. It's my first time claiming it so it will be interesting to see what arrives in the bank account.

If anything. :huh:

Allan

Before I claimed, I asked them roughly what I would get based on the questions answered. A couple of hundred quid was the answer, so I wait with interest to see what it will actually be.

Been published a number of times in magazines and books so hoping they are in that ballpark.

I got £51 last year on the minimum band for both books and mags. Hoping for a bit more as I've moved into the next band up on both!

How do you know which band you're in? (sounds like the beginning of a joke!)

Archived