New Sony QX 'Lens-Style' Cameras Revealed in Leaked Press Release

They will be obsolete soon, because any smartphone will be able to control slave cameras wirelessly, no need to attach a camera to a phone at all. Wireless makes it possible for the display to be in your specs/sunspecs/baseball cap, and the lens in the same, while all the work happens in a phone in your pocket or in the next room. What's coming soon will change imaging. 4G will allow anyone you want to see what you are seeing, and you won't have to point a phone, you'll be wearing the camera and hardly notice it.

They will be obsolete soon, because any smartphone will be able to control slave cameras wirelessly, no need to attach a camera to a phone at all. Wireless makes it possible for the display to be in your specs/sunspecs/baseball cap, and the lens in the same, while all the work happens in a phone in your pocket or in the next room. What's coming soon will change imaging. 4G will allow anyone you want to see what you are seeing, and you won't have to point a phone, you'll be wearing the camera and hardly notice it.

Which I see as a very worrying prospect!

However as an RX100 MkII for $499 now I've seen the B&H price, and one which can be used with an iPad just as easilty as a smartphone, it does have some appeal... you could travel with this and until people know what these are, no-one would have any idea you were taking pictures which are indeed of DSLR quality. The camera could be sitting in your bag with the lens poking out (as indeed can an RX100II - but not for $499!).

However as an RX100 MkII for $499 now I've seen the B&H price, and one which can be used with an iPad just as easilty as a smartphone, it does have some appeal... you could travel with this and until people know what these are, no-one would have any idea you were taking pictures which are indeed of DSLR quality. The camera could be sitting in your bag with the lens poking out (as indeed can an RX100II - but not for $499!).

Technically this is all amazing stuff . . . but with people I've always preferred to do a "double exposure." That is I have to expose myself to my subject if I want an exposure of them. Have I ever worked sneaky? Ahhhh, let me think.  ;)

Which I see as a very worrying prospect!

Me too. But this definitely sounds like something worth taking along on your next vacation to North Korea.

If you knew who was looking at all your pictures, you'd know that we already are freelance spies... if they check your emails, why not also archive all the images found which have geolocation, and use them to see what's there?

That's a good point. Alamy must be a goldmine for that type of thing. Perhaps it's time to create a new licensing model for spying usage.

Archived