What do you do for storage?

Nothing in clouds. Just hard drives - two here and one at my parents' house, where I go regularly to back up my work and get a decent meal.

The storage is large hard drives, one for RAW and one for finished TIFFs - all duplicated off site, in case of theft or fire or very determined mice.

53 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

Nothing in clouds. Just hard drives - two here and one at my parents' house, where I go regularly to back up my work and get a decent meal.

The storage is large hard drives, one for RAW and one for finished TIFFs - all duplicated off site, in case of theft or fire or very determined mice.

Methinks the backup is just a ploy to get that motherly love and good old home cooking.

16 hours ago, dlmphotog said:

Any cloud storage solution puts tremendous trust in the provider of the service. What if they are hacked, suffer data loss or go out of business?

Then I turn to my trusty hard drives at home... Putin is not going to be interested in my photos. They're not state secrets. 

Feeling slightly mushed by this issue. So far I have found the following: 

This article offers a myriad of options: https://alternativeto.net/software/dropbox/

Time Machine can only be used with an external hard drive (2 calls to Apple before I was able to confirm that!)

Backblaze is popular among photographers but an IT friend has raised a concern that it is not one of the bluechips and therefore vulnerable. However, it is going to take at least 18 and possibly 146 days to get the data backed up! 

4 TB is a lot of data and expensive to store. 

Potentially I may be able to make use of my unlimited data imagefile account, but so far I haven't found a way of uploading the data automatically, it is likely to be clunky, and manual backups are not for me. 

Probably going to fork out for back blaze and use Time Machine with 2 old hard drives to share the data load, and be done with it! 

Time for a lunch break! 

I usually upload new RAW files to Photoshelter and later the processed heroes. I have a 4TB LaCie thunderbolt Drive with my LR catalogs and photos, now mirrored on a new 6TB G-Tech thunderbolt Drive, newer photos stay in iCloud or in one of the Pictures folders on my laptop or iMac while I'm processing them, then get moved to the 4 and 6 TB drives, also, tons of old 500GB-2TB hard drives with various backups on them,  a bunch of DVDs with a lot of work from 2007-2011. All my hard drives (except the new 6TB and a new portable 4TB) are now at least six years old which is why I panicked and bought the new 6TB drive. I also bought a 4TB portable drive that I plan to use to mirror my LR catalog on and send to my husband's office for offsite hard backup, then have him bring it home once a month so I can update it.  I also have both computers and all my photos from 2011-2016 backed up to a RAID array but that filled up last year so this past year is just on the other externals.

I'm considering Backblaze. It seems pretty inexpensive but it may be overkill. I was able to make bootable copies of my two computers on partitions on the G-Tech drive,  so I'm in pretty good shape if I need to restore current settings as carbon copy cloner will update these weekly. Hardest thing for me was in my paranoia after I had those old Jazz drives die and then had two computers crash back to back in 2011, I bought a bunch of portable drives and just backed stuff up randomly so if one died I'd still have lots of my stuff but it's so disorganized that it doesn't work, so I bought the original 4TB Drive and started a huge LR catalog on it and added all my photos so they would be in one place.

Amazon photos is not for professional photographers. Check out their TOS. I uploaded my family photos there and it kept trying to access all my photos but I set it to manual. It would be great if everything could go there, but I'm happy to know family memories are safe there at least. 

I have RAW files on iCloud. I sometimes upload photos to iCloud on my laptop so I can sort and rate them and then I can work on them on my iMac and they are accessible to both computers. iCloud only gets stuff off your hard drive if you run out of room, so it's not a solution for those of us with large photo files and 256-500GB main hard drives. I wish I could set it up on my second larger HD instead. 

I use IMatch to catalogue my photos and keep a working copy of all of them in work machine plus a backup in the same machine. Then have a 3TB USB external hard drive that that stays near the computer but is disconnected when not actually backing up. Then have a 6TB disk which plugs in to a port to take backups. This goes to another building periodically and backs up a hard drive in computer there.

I use a free File Sync program to do the backups. This will compare all the files just backing up ones which have changed. If the backup has ones which are deleted on the main drive I leave them in the backup for at least a few months (or till disk space runs out). Reasonably quick doing it this way, keeps the same file structure eveywhere, can be totally independent of any single computer (unlike RAID systems). Online would just take to long.

A commonly held thought in storage professional circles is “if you don’t have it in 3 places, you don’t have it”

I.e. you need 3 copies of every important piece of data.

How on earth you guys are getting away with 1TB and 2TB discs I don’t know - I have about 8TB online in the office and most of my (delivered) images are also backed up online....

I didn't mention, but my disks are a mix from different manufactures and different times. Just in case of a bad batch. Like many also use older smaller disks for yet more backups. Found I needed to do an index on each of those as otherwise couldn't find a particular file I wanted to check on.

In the past used I used a propitiatory backup solution then found with a new version of it it couldn't read its older versions - useless. Decided to stay away from anything which tries to compress or store in some special way.

Archived