I was disturbed at first when I saw one of my images there in several places but since it included my credit line I decided it could be a good thing. Still makes me uneasy though.

Paulette

The first Photograph of mine I found (via google alert) was an alamy image that some had been posted off the MSN homepage, which I wasn't to keen on. Like most things on the internet, once they start rolling, there is no stopping it, so I set up a page of my own, which drives a few clicks to my site (normally from the other side of the world, so no real use). As yet I can't figure out away to gain anything from it, other than an online scrapbook!

Whenever I see one of my images on Pinterest without correct attribution (and it is constantly!), I send them a DMCA.  But, that said, recently I licensed one of my images because  the buyer first saw it on Pinterest (correctly attributed to my RB site) and she contacted me and licensed the image for the front cover of a magazine.  So on the one hand, Pinterest is highly irritating, especially when the attribution is to sites like Tumblr (grrrrrrrr) but on the other, it could be an opportunity for photographers to put their images in front of buyers who would possibly use Pinterest as a tool to find images.  

Sheila 

Whenever I see one of my images on Pinterest without correct attribution (and it is constantly!), I send them a DMCA.  But, that said, recently I licensed one of my images because  the buyer first saw it on Pinterest (correctly attributed to my RB site) and she contacted me and licensed the image for the front cover of a magazine.  So on the one hand, Pinterest is highly irritating, especially when the attribution is to sites like Tumblr (grrrrrrrr) but on the other, it could be an opportunity for photographers to put their images in front of buyers who would possibly use Pinterest as a tool to find images.  

Sheila 

Nice one Shelia, whats "RB"?

EDIT:  RB=Red Bubble

Fed up with these sort of sites like Pinterest. I'm finding a few of my shots on this site as well but no idea how to contact them - there is no info whatsoever.

http://picsbox.biz/key/nhs%20patients%20notes

I also contribute to a rugby forum and I am always on at them for posting up copyrighted shots, as are the admins, but nobody bothers - they just post away quite happily despite the warnings.

Well this is scary. One reason I am so slow to upload my images is that I register them with the US copyright office first. You can do a gazillion images for your $35 but the whole thing is time consuming and not exactly practical for those of you who are shooting news. I hope there is going to be a lot of outrage and maybe a change in this appalling law (regulation?)-- whatever it is.

Paulette

Never liked businesses that base their earnings on using other folks content.  The idea of Pinterest is fine: let's all share some nice stuff, but then - to my mind - the idea of Communism is also great (let's all work together nicely and share everything equally).  Trouble is, neither actually work, 'cos there's always someone who wants somebody else's stuff.

Pinterest (and many others) could easily require a link back to the original content, but they won't because it's not in their commercial interest to do so.

Oh no!  Slippery slope.  I've already deleted most of my Fickr images.  The only ones remaining are those that I know are currently being used against my wishes and that I have yet to follow up.

I'll be busy plastering copyright notices over everything in the next few months (visible; IPTC and text on Web pages).  Unfortunately, the difficulty with the stock content is unlicensed third-party use.  And exactly what constitutes a "diligent search"?!

I used to love sharing my photos online...times change.

Pinterest not good. I found one of my images there this morning by chance using Google image search (sold 4 times on Alamy - so it arrived at Pinterest via one of two UK Daily newspaper websites) as has since been nicked by 3 blog posts. I deleted it on Pinterest (it went in 10 minutes) and issued a take-down notice to Facebook who responded and deleted the image from the offending page within 12 hours.

Unlike losdemas above, I think the idea of Pinterest in its current form is iniquitous.

How can you delete in Pinterest? I have some of mine nicked and used all over from an msn 'best pictures of X' thing on colourful travel destinations which appeared last year and had the result of my image getting repeated without byline in blogs everywhere. I had a look at getting one Pinterest site sorted and encountered there long form and complex process for claiming copyright and asking for take-down.

Can you just DELETE images found on Pinterest?

David

Pinterest is simply marvelous.

It's not my problem there's a near total disconnect between liking photos enough to steal/pin them - & - wanting photos enough to pay for them.

(Oh, wait....)

Well said losdemas. I have no intention to share my images online too. I think pinterest is ok for promotion of your products in sites like zazzle. Few days back i got 2 sales (custom messnger bags) for 80$ each (to me) and the buyer came to know about my products from pinterest.

Flickr.. yeah i have also deleted all of my images except some which are in getty. Most of my images were stolen from my flickr gallery only

Archived