New Sony E 18-135 lens

Looks interesting if the claims made by review and Sony sites are accurate. Will make a good, compact, lightweight carry about on my a6000.

Over here it is selling for £569 generally where it is on sale. Sony price is £570. Think I'll wait till price comes down in shops then screw my local camera shop.;)

Allan

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Looks interesting if the claims made by review and Sony sites are accurate. Will make a good, compact, lightweight carry about on my a6000.

Over here it is selling for £569 generally where it is on sale. Sony price is £570. Think I'll wait till price comes down in shops then screw my local camera shop.;)

Allan

Sounds as if it might make a good all-purpose or travel lens. The price here is $780 CAN, which seems high to me, which is why I tend buy used lenses these days.

No doubt there will be more in-depth reviews coming down the pike soon.

16 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Sounds as if it might make a good all-purpose or travel lens. The price here is $780 CAN, which seems high to me, which is why I tend buy used lenses these days.

$780 CAN = £434 That sounds cheap to me compared to British shops. Does the $780 include tax etc?

If I take off our VAT @ 20% the price reduces to £456 but still higher than in Canada.

Allan

16 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Indeed it would. My everyday single lens outfit, especially for travel, is an 18-135 (Fuji not Sony tho'). I think Betty also uses the Fuji 18-135 for much of her stock work.

It is light and versatile, what more does one need? I would prefer a bit wider, 16-120ish, 24-180 equiv on 135? I am sure the Sony will be similarly useful.

10 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

$780 CAN = £434 That sounds cheap to me compared to British shops. Does the $780 include tax etc?

If I take off our VAT @ 20% the price reduces to £456 but still higher than in Canada.

Allan

Nope. Add another 12% in BC -- 5% GST (federal tax) plus 7% (provincial). Provincial sales' taxes vary. Best place place to shop is Alberta, which as yet does not have provincial sales tax. I'm on a really tight budget; and with image prices being the way they are, I don't see much point in spending a lot on equipment. I am going to have a peek at this lens, though. Sounds like you blokes might be getting ripped off over there.

Sensible price and looks promising, worth a more detailed look, thanks for posting.

The fact that the reviewer was unimpressed by the 16-50 but likes this one is encouraging!

End of tax year April 4th, not a lot of time for a price drop!

15 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Sensible price and looks promising, worth a more detailed look, thanks for posting.

The fact that the reviewer was unimpressed by the 16-50 but likes this one is encouraging!

End of tax year April 4th, not a lot of time for a price drop!

In Canada, Sony sometimes offers rebates (usually $50 or $100) on new lenses shortly after they are introduced. Shall have to wait and see. If I like this lens, I might have to sell some more "treasured" old stuff that I'll likely never use again. I'm still OK with the Sony 18-55 as an everyday lens on my NEX-6, but this could be (?) a worthwhile upgrade.

I have the Fuji 18-135 and it is my most used lens for stock. One can’t always zoom with his/her feet, and this “her”s feet aren’t in puppyhood. You can get two entirely different views of the same subject standing in one place. Besides it being a good travel lens.

Betty

6 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have the Fuji 18-135 and it is my most used lens for stock. One can’t always zoom with his/her feet, and this “her”s feet aren’t in puppyhood. You can get two entirely different views of the same subject standing in one place. Besides it being a good travel lens.

Betty

Yes, it sounds like a very handy zoom range. Perhaps I'll win the lottery (the Alamy one). B)

46 minutes ago, Normspics said:

The f3.5/5.6 always puts me off lenses, especially for travel photography as inevitably your photographing interiors as well as exteriors. How far would you go ISO wise with a Sony A6000 style body for stock.

I regularly go up to 3200 ISO and process in LR ok. No fails yet.

Obviously better if you can keep it lower though.

Allan

4 hours ago, Normspics said:

Thanks for that Allan

You are welcome. If you decide to go ahead and need assistance let me know and I will try to help if necessary.

Allan

48 minutes ago, Johnnie5 said:

Is anyone using the Sony 18-105 f4 OSS .  It has good reviews the price is reasonable and a fixed aperture with reviewers saying it is well built. 

This sounds like another good option, but it's a power zoom. Not a fan of PZ lenses myself. They seem designed more for video than still photography.

Also, it's bulkier than the 18-135. I guess the fixed aperture might be a plus, though.

On 26/02/2018 at 19:23, John Mitchell said:

Nope. Add another 12% in BC -- 5% GST (federal tax) plus 7% (provincial). Provincial sales' taxes vary. Best place place to shop is Alberta, which as yet does not have provincial sales tax. I'm on a really tight budget; and with image prices being the way they are, I don't see much point in spending a lot on equipment. I am going to have a peek at this lens, though. Sounds like you blokes might be getting ripped off over there.

Hi John, By adding on all those percentages I make it $981.5 CAN. Which equates to £554.70 in the UK.

Just a bit lower, but lower all the same.

Allan

9 hours ago, Johnnie5 said:

Is anyone using the Sony 18-105 f4 OSS .  It has good reviews the price is reasonable and a fixed aperture with reviewers saying it is well built. 

No but I use the 16 -70 f4 ZA OSS (24- 135 equiv). Lovely lens but always on the lookout for a bit more reach hence my interest in the 18- 105.

Allan

14 hours ago, Johnnie5 said:

Used to use this lens on a nex 6 before I moved over to Fuji, I found it a very good all round lens, although I did get some vignetting at 18mm nothing that wasn't easily sorted though.

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi John, By adding on all those percentages I make it $981.5 CAN. Which equates to £554.70 in the UK.

Allan

Unfortunately still not low enough for my budget (What budget?). I do plan to have a look at this one, though, just for the heck of it.

Last year I got an a6300 and 18-105mm Sony for my wife for when we're both shooting--she prefers a little longer than my 16-70. So far though, we've just used it for a granddaughter's track and cross-country. Good image quality for that. And it has internal focus and zoom.

9 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

It’s just the 12% tax in total, so makes Johns lens $873.60  Canadian dollars out the door.

13 hours ago, Normspics said:

It’s just the 12% tax in total, so makes Johns lens $873.60  Canadian dollars out the door.

That makes the lens £495 in good old British pounds.

An aside:

Strange that when we entered the European market we did not go with the Euro and kept the £1 coin. They must have known that the British people were going to vote to leave at some point in the future.

Allan

Archived