Digitally Altered Images

Jill Morgan

• 4 years later...
38 minutes ago, sooth said:

It's back again on the image details page, maybe a temporary glitch.

"Digitally altered: unknown"

I would guess it’s coming back in a future “Optional” tab update.

With all the Photoshop AI, Sky replacement and Content Aware features it’s becoming more important. These features nearly always need some advanced skills to make it look unnoticeable.

38 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Aren't all raw files digitally altered?

Does raising exposure constitute 'digitally altered'?

Bit of a can of worms unless it is quantified

It's clear to me that it means that significant details have been added or removed. It doesn't refer to the normal run of editing, tonal changes, NR and so on.

I think I have done it once, to remove a poop-scoop bag from someone's hand. I haven't declared it. In my book it doesn't cover removing the odd distant bird or insect either, if leaving it in might cause a QC fail for dust.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Another library well known to some of you is partnering with one of these AI operators and at the same time creating a new Contributors Fund to compensate copyright holders of works used as 'inspiration' for these AI generated images. Given that AI is widely seen to be the death of everyday stock perhaps the 'digitally altered' flag is a precursor of a move in that direction. Or it could just be a mistake.

Edited by Harry Harrison

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

It's clear to me that it means that significant details have been added or removed. It doesn't refer to the normal run of editing, tonal changes, NR and so on.

I think I have done it once, to remove a poop-scoop bag from someone's hand. I haven't declared it. In my book it doesn't cover removing the odd distant bird or insect either, if leaving it in might cause a QC fail for dust.

Yes, Mark, I understand the intention.

I think the point I was (badly) trying to make was that if Alamy bring this in they need to define 'Digitally Altered'. Otherwise the community here will forever be fielding questions 'is my image digitally altered?', 'what does digitally altered mean? 'when should I tick the Digitally Altered' check box' etc etc.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Martin L said:

Yes, Mark, I understand the intention.

I think the point I was (badly) trying to make was that if Alamy bring this in they need to define 'Digitally Altered'. Otherwise the community here will forever be fielding questions 'is my image digitally altered?', 'what does digitally altered mean? 'when should I tick the Digitally Altered' check box' etc etc.

You are correct. Alamy would need to clearly define what is meant (which they didn't do back in the day) and there were numerous queries on the forum about what it meant. Alamy (can't remember who) even came on one of the threads and made it clear what was meant. It meant pretty much what spacecadet says although I do recall them saying not to remove birds (that is dubious). I recall one very irrational conversation where someone tried to argue that replacing skies was not digital alteration. That ended badly I recall. 

Edited by MDM

36 minutes ago, MDM said:

You are correct. Alamy would need to clearly define what is meant (which they didn't do back in the day) and there were numerous queries on the forum about what it meant. Alamy (can't remember who) even came on one of the threads and made it clear what was meant. It meant pretty much what spacecadet says although I do recall them saying not to remove birds (that is dubious). I recall one very irrational conversation where someone tried to argue that replacing skies was not digital alteration. That ended badly I recall. 

Yes , it's an interesting conundrum.

For example when loading up a picture I noticed the binoculars of my OH had dangled into the top of the shot, so I removed them as they were a bit distracting and drew attention away from the real subject.

It didn't really affect the spirit/intention of the image but if there was a check box for 'Digitally Altered', I would be tempted to check it.

However, a client seeing this may assume that something more nefarious had occurred and dismiss it

It's a tricky one.

Are you folks talking about images submitted as Stock or as Live News? I've never submitted news to Alamy. If I did, I would shoot jpegs and make no edits to the images. 

As far as my standard edit for the stock I submit, I do a lot of routine cleaning up in PS. I'm afraid I have no way of retrieving birds or anything else I deleted. 

12 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I wonder if we going to be invited to revisit all our images and answer digitally altered yes/no?

More work for insufficient return...

Mark

If we were to be invited to revisit all our images and answer digitally altered yes/no it would be another nail in the coffin. The recently added Digitally Altered field is likely to be another Alamy quirk that will hopefully disappear. For instance, it illogically appears in contributor Live News submissions, where digital alterations have always been forbidden.

We'd like to assume that it's a mistake but if it is how ridiculously careless to leave it up for more than an hour or two, let alone days. If it isn't a mistake then it is absurd to flag up that the vast majority of the 276 million 'Photographs' on this site have the status 'Unknown' for 'Digitally altered', it should surely only appear below the image if it is known that it has been altered, just as Location only appears if that is known.

• Like 2