A question of size

Can anyone please shed some light on a small problem I have? At the moment I am not able to use Adobe Photoshop and therefore cannot convert my condensed MP's to MB's to make sure the size of 17MB size is in keeping with Alamy requirements. Somewhere, a while ago, someone sent me a simple equation that works this out. Does anyone have that information or any other way? Thank you. 

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

If your camera is 6MP or over the images are big enough for Alamy assuming you don't crop. If you do, stay above 6MP, or about 3000x2000. I use 3250 as the minimum.

Thanks. You hit the spot. Now I have to go through all my shots and dig out all those above 6MP and there are quite a few. Unfortunately I am with another outfit who deal only in MP - thier rule being all pics must be at least 4MP. Great advice. Thanks a lot.

16 hours ago, Ray Stone said:

Can anyone please shed some light on a small problem I have? At the moment I am not able to use Adobe Photoshop and therefore cannot convert my condensed MP's to MB's to make sure the size of 17MB size is in keeping with Alamy requirements. Somewhere, a while ago, someone sent me a simple equation that works this out. Does anyone have that information or any other way? Thank you. 

The simple formula for practical purposes is Size in MB = 3 x Size in MP.

So a 6MP file is 18MB (for an 8 bit image).

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

If your camera is 6MP or over the images are big enough for Alamy assuming you don't crop. If you do, stay above 6MP, or about 3000x2000. I use 3250 as the minimum.

When taking pictures on my Nikon which uses a 4:3 aspect ratio, this is exactly the same minimum value that I use for the long side when cropping/downsizing.

But my new Sony RX100 uses an aspect ratio of 3:2 so although i still use 3250 as a guide, I could potentially use a different number.

4 hours ago, Sally said:

You can always use Alamy Sizechecker to check your photos before uploading to be sure

http://www.braeside.plus.com/photography/alamy/alamy.html

Yes.. I use this too... a very handy free little utility to check any images that I've cropped and so am a little unsure about.

2 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

When taking pictures on my Nikon which uses a 4:3 aspect ratio, this is exactly the same minimum value that I use for the long side when cropping/downsizing.

But my new Sony RX100 uses an aspect ratio of 3:2 so although i still use 3250 as a guide, I could potentially use a different number.

Sorry but most of your images appear to be 3:2. That's what I was quoting for. I didn't know Nikon did a 4:3.

3250x2163 is my default 3:2 downsize for high ISO. About 6.7MP.

9 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Sorry but most of your images appear to be 3:2. That's what I was quoting for. I didn't know Nikon did a 4:3.

3250x2163 is my default 3:2 downsize for high ISO. About 6.7MP.

Hmm.. now you've made me google the specs of my camera for a second time today! :-) You know i think you're right.. I think I found bad information the first time I looked today.

Archived