funkyworm

Aurora chance tonight and tomorrow

Tip van Flip, my local University astronomy department has tweeted that for the following two nights there is an increased possibility of seeing the Aurora Borealis over the Netherlands.

I am guessing that the same would be true for the rest of Northern Europe so it may be worth popping your head out the window to have look just in case.

Edit, because I got the days a bit wrong, my apologies... according to the API its tonight and tomorrow... and as Vincent mentions in his edit it may not be as big as thought... maybe some got stars in their eyes due to Valentines Day.

Edited by funkyworm
  • Upvote 2

If nothing else have a quick look at Orion aiming his arrow at Taurus. Work thirty degrees further east and you'll see Gemini, a sort of equalateral triangle of stars. Serious? Yep, Sirius is also visible. 

The app Stellarium is very useful for looking at the night sky. Zoom into an object and become dizzy at the speed we are spinning. 

Strange - according to both AuroraWatch UK and Aurora-service (Europe) there is no significant activity at the moment so I don't know where your university is getting its information.  You can sign up with either of these and get alerts sent to you.  AuroraWatchUK has a smartphone app. (maybe the EU site as well but I haven't checked).

9 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Strange - according to both AuroraWatch UK and Aurora-service (Europe) there is no significant activity at the moment so I don't know where your university is getting its information.  You can sign up with either of these and get alerts sent to you.  AuroraWatchUK has a smartphone app. (maybe the EU site as well but I haven't checked).

They (The Anton Pannekoek Instituut of the Universiteit van Amsterdam) retweeted a tweet from a Dr Tamitha Skov, who turn seems to be looking at data provided by NASA.

https://twitter.com/uva_api

https://twitter.com/TamithaSkov

Ah....but Dr Skov is saying the solar storm will hit Earth near midday on Friday.  So maybe not tonight or tomorrow but Friday night looks good.  I'll keep a watch on er..AuroraWatch.

Direct Hit! #NASA predict models show #solarstorm launched by the #Sun yesterday will hit Earth near midday February 15 GMT! Expect #hamradio issues, especially on Earth's night side. #Aurora possible to mid-latitudes where there are clear skies. #GPS may be glitchy near #aurora!

Edit - just had a look at the NASA site and they are predicting it as 'minor' -

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/g1-watch-15-february-2018

Edited by Vincent Lowe

Correct... my error... my enthusiasm got ahead of me..  the API tweet says tomorrow and the day after. With, due of the weather, the day after being the best chance...

My sincere apologies to anyone who did pop out to look... I have a number of times myself. Hopefully anyone else who did look enjoyed a lovely winter starry sky.