Does anyone know for a fact (not speculation) what proportion of registered customer searches show up on AoA? Now that I've been told that if a customer lightboxes them, that doesn't show as a zoom, it would seem from a check back for a few months on all my apparently unzoomed sales, and finding that they were all searched, that it's just about all of them.

And - from this -

I don't sell many wildlife pics from Alamy, though ATM I don't have many here, something I intended to remedy.

I assumed it was because of competition - both in numbers and quality, and can live with that. There's always room for improvement.

But having done some AoA searches on even common species (and remembering to search on both species and '% species'), over a full year since 1 Feb 2017, I see that there are actually surprisingly few searches on these species, and for several less widespread familes of birds, not one: for example, there isn't one search on cameroptera (which would cover a search in scientific Latin [which to my surprise are extremely few on the test species I randomly chose]) although that's a genus with five species, and several other birds and animals ditto.

Also towns within c10 miles of where I live, under 20 in total in the past year (though obviously more generic files can sell under different keywords).

So I'm wondering if there is much point at all in uploading content which Alamy buyers apparently don't want. Obviously one day a buyer might happen to have such a need, but it could be a long time coming and that one sale might be for a small amount.

59 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Obviously one day a buyer might happen to have such a need, but it could be a long time coming and that one sale might be for a small amount.

I spent much of 2017 working on that very idea, machine gunning on a great many subjects and events. Not very scientific, but playing the percentages etc. My sales have increased roughly in line with uploads, so I guess it has worked to some extent and I'd like to think it will pay off longer term too. There are many topics on the forum trying to understand the minutiae of how to guarantee sales one way or another, but you could get so tied up thinking about it that you could miss out on sales on something you decided not to shoot. I'd say go out, shoot it, upload it and move on to the next subject, but never worry about what doesn't sell because it might have done, given a slight change in the direction of the wind.

11 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Does anyone know for a fact (not speculation) what proportion of registered customer searches show up on AoA? Now that I've been told that if a customer lightboxes them, that doesn't show as a zoom, it would seem from a check back for a few months on all my apparently unzoomed sales, and finding that they were all searched, that it's just about all of them.

And - from this -

I don't sell many wildlife pics from Alamy, though ATM I don't have many here, something I intended to remedy.

I assumed it was because of competition - both in numbers and quality, and can live with that. There's always room for improvement.

But having done some AoA searches on even common species (and remembering to search on both species and '% species'), over a full year since 1 Feb 2017, I see that there are actually surprisingly few searches on these species, and for several less widespread familes of birds, not one: for example, there isn't one search on cameroptera (which would cover a search in scientific Latin [which to my surprise are extremely few on the test species I randomly chose]) although that's a genus with five species, and several other birds and animals ditto.

Also towns within c10 miles of where I live, under 20 in total in the past year (though obviously more generic files can sell under different keywords).

So I'm wondering if there is much point at all in uploading content which Alamy buyers apparently don't want. Obviously one day a buyer might happen to have such a need, but it could be a long time coming and that one sale might be for a small amount.

My only 4 figure sale was taken in a town about 5 miles away. I just happened to be there and took several general shots, uploaded, then forgot about them. The one that sold for 4 figures was not much more than a 'snap' of one of the buildings.

You have an advantage that it won't cost you much to get to those local places, so the next time you are there, click away!

You never know what is going to sell and for how much, but if you don't have those images you certainly won't sell them!

John.

57 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Thanks for the replies. I really don't shoot much hereabouts, not much of interest.

I'm really more concerned about the wildlife.

There's literally thousands of wildlife photographers in our neck of the woods (excuse the pun) but wildlife very local to you not so many. Combining location or situation may bring more chance of a sale. eg Gulls on landfill, or Gulls on shore with plastic waste, robin on windowsill, well you get the idea.

2 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Thanks for the replies. I really don't shoot much hereabouts, not much of interest.

I'm really more concerned about the wildlife.

What?  I'm traveling to Scotland in June with my wife - mostly to take pictures.  I sure hope you're wrong.:D

6 hours ago, Reimar said:

What?  I'm traveling to Scotland in June with my wife - mostly to take pictures.  I sure hope you're wrong.:D

In my OP, I specified 'within a ten mile radius'.

Unless  you're visiting relatives, you'll be very unlikely to be here. Too wet, apart from anything else.

16 hours ago, Reimar said:

Currently in Glencoe for a week in the mountains. Snapping away like a madman. Beautiful.

Archived