Sign in to follow this  
Marb

Fine Art photography

I am very interested in the more fine Art creative photography for it's own sake. The kind of images you see in the BJP, Creative review and exhibitions etc. In an ideal world I would love to make a living from this kind of work (I did a workshop with BW landscape photographer John Davies when I was a photo student in the mid 80's.) but have lost touch with this due to making stock images. Has anyone here got a similar background, interest other than the "bread and butter" stock images ? Do these kind of images do well at Alamy ? 

Edited by Marb

In the 1940 images I have sold since being on Alamy, there are probably a dozen that I would consider Art, ie that I would hang on my wall. Alamy really is mainly editorial.

Put them up anyway if you have them on your drive, but I wouldn't get into producing fine art just for Alamy.

Edited by Colin Woods
Added text

I risk killing this thread stone dead, but would someone care to define 'Fine Art Photography'? I recently saw an Instagram post of a dreadfully dull silhouette of some trees that had been converted to black and white. This, according to the photographer's comment, made it 'fine art'. An extreme example, but one thing is for sure - calling something fine art doesn't make it fine art, which implies there are criteria even if it's debatable at the margins.

Sure, go and have a look around the photo section of Tate Modern for some unbelievable stuff dressed up as fine art. Stuff that most photographers would delete without a second look. My definition is banal but it works for me - would I give it house space.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Marb said:

I am very interested in the more fine Art creative photography for it's own sake. The kind of images you see in the BJP, Creative review and exhibitions etc. In an ideal world I would love to make a living from this kind of work (I did a workshop with BW landscape photographer John Davies when I was a photo student in the mid 80's.) but have lost touch with this due to making stock images. Has anyone here got a similar background, interest other than the "bread and butter" stock images ? Do these kind of images do well at Alamy ? 

Yes.

No.

wim

• Upvote 1

My doctor has warned me to avoid fine art photography, free-form poetry, and action painting. :ph34r:

Edited by Ed Rooney

Every now and then I dip into the winners' galleries that pop up online for prestigious competitions like the Taylor-Wessing portrait prize. Some of the photos are lovely to look at in fairness, while others look like better exposed examples of a B&Q employee of the month mug shot. I've reconciled myself to the fact that I simply don't get it.

I had this image of St Martin's Church and the Bullring in Birmingham, licensed on here a few months ago for an attractive price. I suppose it would fall under the "fine art" category.

Black and white Selfridges St Martins Church Birmingham Bullring Stock Photo