JeffGreenberg

show your pre-processing vs. post-processing image side by side ?!!

Recommended Posts

especially interested is seeing how others' processing make ordinary-dull lighting more desirable-salable...?

of course, there can be all kinds of improvements as result of processing...

(so posting 2 images, one "before" processing & one "after" processing is the request)

(no, don't have one yet, but will asap)

Edited by JeffGreenberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seems like an invitation to jump into a nest of snakes while you watch and take notes

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a couple where I have two versions of the same image.  One normal (which I plan to delete) and one using a radial filter.  The one with the waves (with the radial filter) has sold.

 

looking-out-to-lake-huron-from-an-old-br  broken-dock-looking-out-to-sea-on-lake-h

 

waves-coming-to-shore-on-lake-huron-at-g

 

waves-coming-into-shore-on-lake-huron-wi

 

Jill

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

seems like an invitation to jump into a nest of snakes

 

Calling contributors snakes, are we?

Having a bad day, are we?

Or business as usual, is it?

 

Anyone can "take notes" , can't they?

Giving knowledge is more powerful than getting knowledge, isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Here are a couple where I have two versions of the same image.  One normal (which I plan to delete) and one using a radial filter.  The one with the waves (with the radial filter) has sold.

 

looking-out-to-lake-huron-from-an-old-br  broken-dock-looking-out-to-sea-on-lake-h

 

waves-coming-to-shore-on-lake-huron-at-g

 

waves-coming-into-shore-on-lake-huron-wi

 

Jill

 

That's very effective, especially the second image. I gather that the "radial filter" is only available in Lightroom. Correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

That's very effective, especially the second image. I gather that the "radial filter" is only available in Lightroom. Correct?

 

The radial filter is available in LR, ACR and Photoshop CC (via the Camera Raw filter). It's incredibly useful for a quick bit of local editing in LR/ACR before raw conversion - lightening or darkening circular or oval areas (lightening eyes or faces for example).

Edited by MDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ReeRay

  • Forum regular

Since it appears both styles are offered online,

if willing to say to any extent,

is one style (normal vs. processed) clearly more salable...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my before

Before.jpg

 

and the after (which has sold)

 

old-john-folly-against-blue-sky-bradgate

 

Mark

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

ReeRay

  • Forum regular

Since it appears both styles are offered online,

if willing to say to any extent,

is one style (normal vs. processed) clearly more salable...?

 

Neither have sold on Alamy but I've had a lot more success with POD sites for the processed versions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is another that I used the radial filter on.  It too has sold.  Original image was flat with grey sky and grey water.  I like the moonlight effect.

 

Jill

 

sailboats-in-moonlight-on-lake-ontario-f

Edited by Jill Morgan
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

This is another that I used the radial filter on.  It too has sold.  Original image was flat with grey sky and grey water.  I like the moonlight effect.

 

Jill

 

sailboats-in-moonlight-on-lake-ontario-f

 

Very nice. Sailing in the moonlight sounds like it could be a bit dangerous, though. ^_^

I'm not subscribing to any Adobe software, but the radial filter looks to be a very useful tool.

One of the shortcomings of DxO OpticsPro, which I'm currently using for RAW, is that it doesn't have any of these cool features.

I wonder if the latest version of PS Elements offers the radial filter. Shall have to check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Very nice. Sailing in the moonlight sounds like it could be a bit dangerous, though. ^_^

I'm not subscribing to any Adobe software, but the radial filter looks to be a very useful tool.

One of the shortcomings of DxO OpticsPro, which I'm currently using for RAW, is that it doesn't have any of these cool features.

I wonder if the latest version of PS Elements offers the radial filter. Shall have to check it out.

 

I haven't used it myself for awhile.   

 

ACR has all kinds of tools that you can't get other than in CC.

 

Jill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting those Jill, you've really improve the images, imho. And very interesting to see the before and after.   I have use ACR and CS5 but never used the radial filter.  I'm actually not even sure where it is.

 

Jeff, with the number of images you get out there, do you have much time for post processing?

 

Maria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MariaJ said:

with the number of images you get out there, do you have much time for post processing?

 

MariaJ & all,

 

Pedestrian processing: color-exposure balance, opening shadows, suppressing highlights, removing detritus, etc.

Adding snap-crackle-pop, but nothing as dramatic as examples above...!!!

Never learned Curves-Layers, would like to learn stacking in order to do very long exposure equivalents -- link to stacking tutorial for CS6?

(really should go CC, having bought ADBE shares low & selling higher 3X now essentially made Adobe cover costs for decades+)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Adding snap-crackle-pop, but nothing as dramatic as examples above...!!!

 

Oh... Mine was done with 2 main steps. A LR preset (adds a bit of vibrance and applies X-Rite Passport calibration profile for my camera) which I apply to all my images automatically followed by opening up the shadows and foreground and reducing highlights in PSElements. I probably used a mask, to localise the adjustments, but I thought it was a good example of going from pretty unsaleable to saleable. I could show some more extreme cases (replaced sky etc.) but thought I'd stick to the processing of a single image.

 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

 

MariaJ & all,

 

Pedestrian processing: color-exposure balance, opening shadows, suppressing highlights, removing detritus, etc.

Adding snap-crackle-pop, but nothing as dramatic as examples above...!!!

Never learned Curves-Layers, would like to learn stacking in order to do very long exposure equivalents -- link to stacking tutorial for CS6?

(really should go CC, having bought ADBE shares low & selling higher 3X now essentially made Adobe cover costs for decades+)

 

I've recently resurrected my blog, you may find this helpful re layers etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2018 at 22:27, John Mitchell said:

 

Very nice. Sailing in the moonlight sounds like it could be a bit dangerous, though. ^_^

I'm not subscribing to any Adobe software, but the radial filter looks to be a very useful tool.

One of the shortcomings of DxO OpticsPro, which I'm currently using for RAW, is that it doesn't have any of these cool features.

I wonder if the latest version of PS Elements offers the radial filter. Shall have to check it out.

 

John,  - 

I just tried out the trial version of DxO Optics Lab - I think it's the successor to OpticsPro and you may be entitled to an upgrade. They bought the Nik filters from Google and while they haven't added them yet - IMHO their film emulations are nowhere near as good as Nik's though I'm still learning their program. ANYWAY, while they haven't added the Nik film filters to their repertoire, they have added U-Point technology which works incredibly well to highlight a portion of a photo and bring out the best - though again I find that using it with the Nik filters is easier and more pleasing than with DxO but check out their updates.

For what it's worth, I can't imagine a better value than the $10 a month I pay for Lightroom & Photoshop CC. And you can use your DxO filters as plugins with LR to make life easier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/02/2018 at 03:27, John Mitchell said:

 

Very nice. Sailing in the moonlight sounds like it could be a bit dangerous, though. ^_^

I'm not subscribing to any Adobe software, but the radial filter looks to be a very useful tool.

One of the shortcomings of DxO OpticsPro, which I'm currently using for RAW, is that it doesn't have any of these cool features.

I wonder if the latest version of PS Elements offers the radial filter. Shall have to check it out.

John - the answer is probably yes, and you  probably already have it if you have a copy of Elements installed - the radial filter is part of Adobe Camera Raw, which is used for both Elements and CC.

As Marianne says, the other option is to do the current Adobe offer of £9.00 or so a month, full copy of CC and Lightroom plus all the upgrades you can handle. Frankly a bargain, but don't tell Adobe that ....

:)

Edited by TeeCee
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been licensed here a few times as well as directly from my site a few more and I've sold it on POD sites - one of my early experiments playing with WB and contrast:

 

steel-globe-from-the-1964-worlds-fair-co

 

 

No takers yet for the original:

 

globe-and-towers-from-the-1964-worlds-fa

 

This is a really old photo and not necessarily the best example but the tweaked one is the one that sells. 

I'm thinking I should re-process this 2010 image and bring out the original twilight color. My Photoshop skills and ACR's improvements might do wonders. 

Edited by Marianne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TeeCee said:

John - the answer is probably yes, and you  probably already have it if you have a copy of Elements installed - the radial filter is part of Adobe Camera Raw, which is used for both Elements and CC.

As Marianne says, the other option is to do the current Adobe offer of £9.00 or so a month, full copy of CC and Lightroom plus all the upgrades you can handle. Frankly a bargain, but don't tell Adobe that ....

:)

 

Thanks. My older version of PS Elements doesn't have the radial filter. Newer versions appear to have a "radial blur" filter, but that is obviously different.

 

I've been assiduously trying to avoid the Adobe world for years now, using alternative software like DxO OpticsPro and others. So far so good. But I may break down and pay to enter enter the cloud at some point. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TeeCee said:

John - the answer is probably yes, and you  probably already have it if you have a copy of Elements installed - the radial filter is part of Adobe Camera Raw, which is used for both Elements and CC.

 

 

 

The version of ACR that comes with Elements is a cut down version of full ACR. I just had a look at the user guide for the latest version and it makes no mention of the radial filter (nor the graduated filter) so I'm guessing that it doesn't have these. 

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Thanks. My older version of PS Elements doesn't have the radial filter. Newer versions appear to have a "radial blur" filter, but that is obviously different.

 

I've been assiduously trying to avoid the Adobe world for years now, using alternative software like DxO OpticsPro and others. So far so good. But I may break down and pay to enter enter the cloud at some point. B)

 

Download the trial and see how you get on. There are some really useful and time-saving developments in Lightroom, ACR and Photoshop in the years since Adobe went to CC. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MDM said:

 

The version of ACR that comes with Elements is a cut down version of full ACR. I just had a look at the user guide for the latest version and it makes no mention of the radial filter (nor the graduated filter) so I'm guessing that it doesn't have these. 

 

Thanks for the update MDM, I'd always assumed that ACR was ACR, no variation.
I live and learn!

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TeeCee said:

I live and learn!

:)

 

The only way to be :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MDM said:

 

The version of ACR that comes with Elements is a cut down version of full ACR. I just had a look at the user guide for the latest version and it makes no mention of the radial filter (nor the graduated filter) so I'm guessing that it doesn't have these. 

 

Download the trial and see how you get on. There are some really useful and time-saving developments in Lightroom, ACR and Photoshop in the years since Adobe went to CC. 

 

 

Tools such as the radial filter and the adjustment brush are only available on the CC version.

 

I couldn't live without my adjustment brush.

 

Jill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now