I’m a new contributor to Alamy (with a whopping three images added so far!) and was looking for some advice as I start diving in more and creating a portfolio of images here.

(Hopefully this information is useful to Alamy veterans too!)

How many total images do you have in your library?

About how many images do you sell on an average month?

What’s the average sale price for your images?

Do you list your images as RM, RF or a mix of both?

Are your images exclusive to Alamy?

And finally, what do you know now about the submission process that you wish you knew when you were just starting out to make your submissions as successful as possible?

a 6,700

b 8

c varies, we don't like (encourage) actual figures

d both

e mainly but not all

when I first started out I knew jack sh@@t. This forum taught me everything I now know. My advice, keep reading here and you'll be fine. 

Thanks ReeRay! And good note on reading the forum - I just discovered it yesterday and have already learned a TON. Amazing how generous and helpful everyone is on here.  

Forgot to ask- if you choose to list an image exclusively with Alamy, do you earn higher commissions on it? Or does it get priority in search results? (Or both?) 

Thanks again!

a. 9174

b. at the moment 9 for last month and still counting.

c. last year from $6 to $360

d. all RM

e. mostly.

Very impressed by your first 3 images especially the New York night snowy photo. With more of this quality of work and your range of keywording/tagging you will be o.k.

Alan

10 minutes ago, Brian Eden said:

Thanks ReeRay! And good note on reading the forum - I just discovered it yesterday and have already learned a TON. Amazing how generous and helpful everyone is on here.  

Forgot to ask- if you choose to list an image exclusively with Alamy, do you earn higher commissions on it? Or does it get priority in search results? (Or both?) 

Thanks again!

No extra commission and doubtful enhanced search position, but in the event of an infringement it makes Alamy's chase up a little easier, so I gather. 

Take note of images sold, images found, "all of alamy" as guidelines. And have a look at how the top guys/gals keyword. It's all there for everyone's benefit. 

Good luck

How many total images do you have in your library? 5500

About how many images do you sell on an average month? 5

What’s the average sale price for your images? $25

Do you list your images as RM, RF or a mix of both? 90% RF 10% RM

Are your images exclusive to Alamy? Nope

23 hours ago, Brian Eden said:

I’m a new contributor to Alamy (with a whopping three images added so far!) and was looking for some advice as I start diving in more and creating a portfolio of images here.

(Hopefully this information is useful to Alamy veterans too!)

How many total images do you have in your library?

About how many images do you sell on an average month?

What’s the average sale price for your images?

Do you list your images as RM, RF or a mix of both?

Are your images exclusive to Alamy?

And finally, what do you know now about the submission process that you wish you knew when you were just starting out to make your submissions as successful as possible?

There's a thread like this every month here. The titles may differ a bit from month to month.

There's a search box in the upper right hand corner here on this page.

The blue number to the left will reveal one's complete collection regardless of pseudos.

A calculator will reveal the rest.

There sometimes are threads like this on years as well.

wim

This is such helpful info - thank you all so much for your answers (and apologies for the price quote faux pas - I'm new to this). 

Follow-up question for those of you who list photos both as RM and RF - how do you choose which ones to list as RM instead? Do you save that for photos you feel are higher quality? Or more niche topics? Or did you begin listing as RM and have transitioned to more RF over time?

24 minutes ago, Brian Eden said:

Follow-up question for those of you who list photos both as RM and RF - how do you choose which ones to list as RM instead? Do you save that for photos you feel are higher quality? Or more niche topics? Or did you begin listing as RM and have transitioned to more RF over time?

I honestly don't think there's that much difference between RM and RF on here anymore, both in terms of rights and prices.

I'm tired of second-guessing what is "premium / higher quality", I'll let the market make that decision. Truth be told, RF obviously tends to be more flexible and buyers prefer flexibility and it's a buyers' market atm. I'll probably be 100% RF soon (except for Alamy Live News).

Completely respect the veterans on here that are 100% RM. It's all about personal choice.  

On 6/2/2018 at 17:02, Brian Eden said:

a) How many total images do you have in your library?

B) About how many images do you sell on an average month?

c) What’s the average sale price for your images?

d) Do you list your images as RM, RF or a mix of both?

e) Are your images exclusive to Alamy?

a: 3156

b: 6,8 ( average 2017)

b: ?

d: RM - a few percent RF

e: Most are right now

On 07/02/2018 at 15:44, Brian Eden said:

It's not usually a choice- as John says it's determined by the content. If you don't have releases for all property and persons you shouldn't list as RF. I'm 97% RM and I doubt I have another 2% that could properly be RF even if I chose.

What to expect?

The short answer, not too much.

If you are an average contributor then roughly 0.2 dollars net per year per image, or 200 dollars  per year for 1000.

If you are a top 1% contributor then several multiples of that.

If you are a bottom 1% contributor then expect almost nothing.

Welcome Brian!

I'm a freelance writer as well as a photographer and I just wrote a series of 3 articles for Alamy newbies. 

You can find them here here and here

I hope you find the advice helpful. 

(P.S. I give you guys - my fellow long-time forum members - kudos in #3) 

You can find them here here and here

Useful to-the-point well-written articles - great job!

Agree with everything except that Alamy buyers search elsewhere as clarified in my blog post. Also feel that comparing micros and Alamy is really apples and oranges.

Would be interested to read more of your analysis. 

9 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Useful to-the-point well-written articles - great job!

Agree with everything except that Alamy buyers search elsewhere as clarified in my blog post. Also feel that comparing micros and Alamy is really apples and oranges.

Would be interested to read more of your analysis. 

Thanks. 

I wrote the articles for a site that caters to microstockers, so the comparison was part of the assignment. I have a few duplicate photos here and in my small 350-photo portfolio on one of those micros that have been licensed here and there, but over the years I've had several zooms here that sell on the micros instead. I was quoting an Alamy client but yes, I suppose that advice could go either way depending upon your experience. Personally, I don't see the point of dumping an entire micro port on here and cannibalizing sales, but then I haven't tried it and your experience may differ. No link to your blog post or I'd check it out. 

Archived