Vincent Lowe

Panorama - how to force a merge?

4 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Can you explain Wim's technique?  I read it above but don't understand it.

Align automatically or shift by hand.  

I did it by hand - created a new document approx. three times as wide as the originals.  Pasted copies of all three images onto the new doc. as separate layers.  Reduced opacity of the middle image (set as top layer) so that I could see the other images behind it.  Moved the outer layers to get the best fit at around the middle of the overlaps.

How do you align automatically?  Is this a function in Photoshop?

Yes.  'Edit.... Auto-Align Layers'.  You need to have at least two layers selected in the Layers panel otherwise the command is greyed out.  I didn't try this; as it didn't work in Auto-Photomerge I assumed it wouldn't work here either. 

Keep copies of all three layers.

I didn't bother - but the original images are still available if needed.

Auto Blend 3 layers.  How do you auto blend?  Is this a function in Photoshop?

Yes.  'Edit....Auto-Blend Layers'.  Again you need to have at least two layers selected in the Layers panel otherwise the command is greyed out.  I restored the opacity of the centre image to 100% then applied the auto-blend.

Now use the copies to correct blemishes in the blended image. (Not necessary in the thumbnails, but maybe at 100%.). How?

Not sure - I didn't need to do this.  Presumably clone / blend bits from the copies to hide blemishes.

To finish I flattened the image then touched-up a bit of the sea around the join, using the clone brush at various opacity settings to blend in the waves as best I could.  The wave pattern had changed between shots.

Edit - just to add I'm using the latest version of PhotoshopCC.  I can't remember if the auto commands are available in earlier versions.

Auto blending has been available in PS since CS4 apparently. 

There are a few ways of automating the process so no need to create docs in PS and do it all manually by opening , copying and pasting.

Lightroom has the most options. There does not seem to be any difference in the final results of the following: 

1. Right click  Edit - Merge to Panorama in Photoshop

2. Right click Edit -  Open as Layers in Photoshop and then either use Edit - Auto Blend or File- Automate - Photomerge

The output is a layered file which can be flattened. If you need to do further editing, rather than cloning it is better to keep the layers and use the layer masks which will be available when the blending has been completed. This allows totally non-destructive editing. If you don't know how to use Layer Masks, then they are simple (once you know how of course) and well worth investing an hour or two to understand. 

3. Right click - Photomerge - this merges the raws in Lightroom, can give different results and it is not possible to use layer masking to edit as the output is a DNG. If it works I think this is the best method as the output is effectivbely a raw file but it doesn't always work well. It ignores modifications to the raws in LR except for the most selected file so is not so great if the lighting is different across the pano.

4. Open the raw images, edit as required, save as PSD or Tiff and then use Automate - Photomerge or Edit - Auto Blend. I don't think there is any difference in the result.

If you don't use Lightroom, you can open files as layers in Photoshop from Lightroom or Bridge or use an Image Processor script if the files are already open to put them in layers. However, as I said already, I don't see any difference in the panorama output between Automate - Photomerge or Edit - Auto Blend. Hiowever, Auto Blend is really useful for focus stacking.

Edited by MDM

54 minutes ago, MDM said:

There are a few ways of automating the process so no need to create docs in PS and do it all manually by opening , copying and pasting.

Yeah but... no but.... the whole point of this thread is that auto blending / photomerge wouldn't work....:wacko:

It  was primarily intended as a summary of the various ways of doing things perhaps for the benefit of others who might read what you wrote and think that was the only or easiest way of doing things. Also was most relevant to Lightroom users

Edited by MDM

4 hours ago, MDM said:

Auto blending has been available in PS since CS4 apparently. 

Lightroom has the most options. There does not seem to be any difference in the final results of the following: 

1. Right click  Edit - Merge to Panorama in Photoshop

2. Right click Edit -  Open as Layers in Photoshop and then either use Edit - Auto Blend or File- Automate - Photomerge

The output is a layered file which can be flattened. If you need to do further editing, rather than cloning it is better to keep the layers and use the layer masks which will be available when the blending has been completed. This allows totally non-destructive editing. If you don't know how to use Layer Masks, then they are simple (once you know how of course) and well worth investing an hour or two to understand. 

3. Right click - Photomerge - this merges the raws in Lightroom, can give different results and it is not possible to use layer masking to edit as the output is a DNG. If it works I think this is the best method as the output is effectivbely a raw file but it doesn't always work well. It ignores modifications to the raws in LR except for the most selected file so is not so great if the lighting is different across the pano.

4. Open the raw images, edit as required, save as PSD or Tiff and then use Automate - Photomerge or Edit - Auto Blend. I don't think there is any difference in the result.

If you don't use Lightroom, you can open files as layers in Photoshop from Lightroom or Bridge or use an Image Processor script if the files are already open to put them in layers. However, as I said already, I don't see any difference in the panorama output between Automate - Photomerge or Edit - Auto Blend. Hiowever, Auto Blend is really useful for focus stacking.

1 hour ago, MDM said:

It  was primarily intended as a summary of the various ways of doing things perhaps for the benefit of others who might read what you wrote and think that was the only or easiest way of doing things. Also was most relevant to Lightroom users

But you are using photomerge.  How is this an alternative way to photomerge?   

Edited by tarsierspectral

1 hour ago, tarsierspectral said:

But you are using photomerge.  How is this an alternative way to photomerge?   

The point is that Auto Blend and Photomerge in Photoshop do exactly the same thing. There is no difference whatsover that I can determine. I was also outlining the various ways of getting files open in a single layered  file in Photoshop (aside from the manual method of Vincent Lowe) so one could either Auto Blend or Photomerge or even merge manually. There are various ways of doing this from LR, Bridge and even Photoshop itself if the files have been opened manually.