Help upgrading camera

57 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

There's nothing stupid about you, Wim.  Occasionally we might disagree, but I always take your information and opinion seriously. 

I must confess that as a longtime Nikon user, I could never feel comfortable owning a Canon.   :)

> nothing stupid

Thank you, but of course there is.

Maybe I should take an image with my RX100 of my Canon which is making a photo of my Nikkormat.

With a backdrop of 10 Olympuses. Maybe throw in a Leica or a Hasselblad.  In a mirror.

(M.C.Esscher was Dutch)

Fun, but would it sell? Nahh.

Agree though that some Canons, like mine, are the Hummers of photography.

I always thought of my OM4Ti's as Porsches.

The Sony's could be Italian cars: yes they can go fast and are fun to drive, but be careful in the corners because you will lose some bolts and the occasional door handle.

@chuck

No beta tester, but I was the first in Holland to get the D1H and D1X for testing. (Well we were six actually.) They were total rubbish. I had to illustrate a story about cycling and the shutter lag was so long I only got empty streets. I shot the article on film probably even without my winders.

To their credit, Nikon managed to do something about it in the weeks before they came available. For me they were still too slow though.

Later that year I bought the Olympus E20 - 5 megapixel and fast.

wim

15 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I like my Sony RX100. I've got the MkIII and it never ceases to amaze me the IQ such a small camera can produce. Excellent lens.

Only negatives are I don't find the user interface/menus on Sony as user friendly as Canon, and the RX100 is slightly it's harder to hold (no finger grip).

If you get the Sony I strongly recommend buying the AG-R2 grip to stick on. It's well worth it.

Mark

There is also the "Feniac" grip, which I got years ago when the first RX100 came out, but I think it may be a bit more expensive.

Allan

I have the Sony RX100iii, Sony RX100v and Sony RX10ii. For stills I use the Sony RX10ii as the sensor is the same as the RX100 later series but it comes with a 24-200mm equivalent zoom lens and is very versatile for travel and not that heavy. The Sony RX100v I use exclusively for video on a gimbal for run and gun style stock video clips without a tripod between the two it’s a good set up. I have stopped using the Sony RX100iii for stills as I find the Sony RX10ii to be better suited for travel still photography a more complete package. 

9 minutes ago, Normspics said:

I have the Sony RX100iii, Sony RX100v and Sony RX10ii. For stills I use the Sony RX10ii as the sensor is the same as the RX100 later series but it comes with a 24-200mm equivalent zoom lens and is very versatile for travel and not that heavy. The Sony RX100v I use exclusively for video on a gimbal for run and gun style stock video clips without a tripod between the two it’s a good set up. I have stopped using the Sony RX100iii for stills as I find the Sony RX10ii to be better suited for travel still photography a more complete package. 

Interesting.

Are the images from RX100II at 200mm accepted by Alamy? Even without downsizing?

What gimbal are you using?

Thanks beforehand.

Niels

Sony RX100m3 was bought as a convenient carry around instead of my canon 6d, which I changed to from a heavier 5d.
It can't be compared to full frame, obviously, but a great little camera, and I really had stopped taking my camera (Canon DSLR) with me on short trips.
There is also the worry of a bag full of gear on aircraft.
Some parts of the menus (for me) are not the most intuitive, particularly the wifi section.
I bought a stick on finger grip almost immediately after getting the slippery little critter, but someone here suggested sticking it on the leather carry case instead (it won't fit in the case when it's on the camera), so if I buy a case I may end up prying it off the camera and following that advice.

15 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

Interesting.

Are the images from RX100II at 200mm accepted by Alamy? Even without downsizing?

Thanks beforehand.

Niels

Yes the RX10ii are accepted at Alamy, my workflow normally is producing images at 90% I don’t use 200mm as much as 24mm but yes have got through QC. I use the Zhiyun Crane M, works fantastic with the Sony RX100v gives tripod quality shots.

1 hour ago, Normspics said:

Yes the RX10ii are accepted at Alamy, my workflow normally is producing images at 90% I don’t use 200mm as much as 24mm but yes have got through QC. I use the Zhiyun Crane M, works fantastic with the Sony RX100v gives tripod quality shots.

4 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

Interesting.

Thanks beforehand.

Niels

I use the M2 and this is a full size image not downsized.  I just love my Sony.

insect-sculpture-by-moses-kofi-along-agu

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

insect-sculpture-by-moses-kofi-along-agu

HELP!  MUMMEEEEEE!

Allan

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

Thanks.

Probably not so much difference between version II and III, except the range of the zoom and a few other things (didn't video come in here) - what I really wondered was, if the 200 mm zoom end is good enough for Alamy at full image size - I could also use that extra zoom length of 200 mm. 

Why did they shorten the range if not for quality? - probably to keep the price down.

Niels

5 hours ago, Normspics said:

As far as I can read, all the RX100 cameras  have a 35mm equivalent of 24-100mm or 24-70mm.  How did you get a 200mm equivalent?

Jill

2 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

As far as I can read, all the RX100 cameras  have a 35mm equivalent of 24-100mm or 24-70mm.  How did you get a 200mm equivalent?

Jill

RX10 it’s there if you read my post, a little confusing with all these RX’s

11 minutes ago, Normspics said:

RX10 it’s there if you read my post, a little confusing with all these RX’s

- and I wasn't awake - and so much turned on to the RX100 - that I didn't notice the sudden change. Sorry.

Niels

19 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Edo,

That is why I do 250 pushups a day.....

I am often using the 800s with a SIGMA 120-300 2.8

Hmm, are you sure you're counting right? I tried one of those recently, back in early December, I think. The first part went okay, but after that not so good. I'm considering getting one of those gizmo you yell into: "I've fallen and I can't get up!" 

In younger days I did various martial arts, Tai Foo Poo was one , I think. I've settle into a less demanding form of Tai Chi now, not so much slow motion as no motion at all. 

Edo

Edo, 

Can count just fine.  It's just me and RBG doing our pushups every day........

I'm doing corporate work again with old NORMAN 2000 packs (32lbs each)

so I need to be strong.  Turning 60 next month, OUCH...

Not familiar with "Tai Foo Poo" did I miss the joke?

Chuck

Sorry should have been RGB, always get her mixed up....

Nope it was correct the first time RBG.....

On 2/6/2018 at 01:39, Ed Rooney said:

I must confess that as a longtime Nikon user, I could never feel comfortable owning a Canon.   :)

I'm exactly the same - couldn't use anything but a Nikon (although I've my eyes on a Sony RX100 because bursitis in my right elbow makes it extremely difficult to lift my FF cameras to my eye :( )

On 06/02/2018 at 21:55, Chuck Nacke said:

Edo, 

Can count just fine.  It's just me and RBG doing our pushups every day........

I'm doing corporate work again with old NORMAN 2000 packs (32lbs each)

so I need to be strong.  Turning 60 next month, OUCH...

Chuck

I've got nearly 13 years on you Chuck and I can tell you it does not get any better.:(

Allan

PS As a doctor once said to me, "Getting old is not good for you."

38 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I've got nearly 13 years on you Chuck and I can tell you it does not get any better.:(

Allan

PS As a doctor once said to me, "Getting old is not good for you."

The only alternate plan is early death.

I love my little Olympus OMD E-1 - light and great photos, not a single fail since I got it back in 2014.

In fact, I took it and my Nikon D700 to the Grand Canyon and until you pixel peep at 200% in good light, the difference is surprisingly small. 

The newer Pen-F is about half the price and even lighter. I'd suggest checking it out. In silver it looks gorgeous and weighs less than a pound. I had ordered one last week, but cancelled my order for reasons totally unrelated to that camera. In fact, it is supposed to be better in low light than the one I have.

Olympus is having a lot of sales these days - and I highly recommend them - even the 40-150mm budget priced zoom is super sharp - a few people here recommended it when I bought the Olympus and it weighs so little. The OMD E-5 is also less expensive than the E-1 and the newer ones are supposed to be even better  in low light - the original E-1 I have is good in low light - I never downsize and I have never failed here with it - it's only when I compare it to the D700 in low light that it's not perfect. But here's one in low light with the Olympus that I took as a straight jpeg with the inexpensive zoom the day I got the camera - I was woken up by a fire two doors down from me. I shot this at around ISO 12,500 at 2 in the morning with my brand new camera - no post production just a straight jpeg from the camera:

chappaqua-ny-april-11-2014-firefighters-

The only reason I ended up cancelling the Pen-F is that in late January, I ordered the Olympus 7-14mm pro lens. I must've gotten a bad one because the chromatic aberration and COMA were so bad I couldn't fix them in LR nor in DxO Lab - I finally shot the same photos with that lens and my 17mm and found the 17mm was fine but the 7-14 was a disaster. Very disappointed. I was ready to exchange it for another one, and ordered the Pen-F to round out my MFT (micro four thirds) collection, but then the Sonys went on sale and I decided to go in a different direction and ordered the Sony A7RII from B&H.  I am hopeful that it will replace my D700 - giving me a full frame camera that is great in low light (that's where the Olympus can't compete with my beloved D700) and weighs significantly less. I plan to use it with a couple of primes - I got a 35mm and have my eye on the Zeiss Loxia 21mm manual focus lens as my next purchase, once I sell off my Nikon equipment. Obviously the A7RII isn't a budget priced camera, though I got a great sale price - and it is heavier with most of the full frame glass, which is why my plan is to use it mostly with wide primes and keep my Olympus, but I digress...

So, back to the OP's question - sorry to digress - another nice thing about the Olympus is that you can use Panasonic lenses with it as well - you can also look into the Panasonic MFT cameras - they have several that are reasonably priced and I hear nothing but good things about them. I was thinking of getting one as a backup until I was tempted by the Pen-F - which is still on my wish list. Although I went in the other direction and opted for the Sony full frame, as I mentioned, I plan to stick with the smaller MFT cameras too since the Sony full frame, though light, can get heavy when you start adding their zooms and other large glass - even some of their primes are heavy - though much lighter than using a large Nikon or Canon.

Once I sell enough to pay off my Sony, I'll probably get the 12-40mm for the Olympus - or the 12-35 Pany - not sure which is better, I hear conflicting things. . 

Bottom line, if the Sony can replace my Nikon, it will be my "heavy" camera - I'm convinced mirrorless is the way to go. Like Chuck, I turn 60 this year, and between herniated disks in my neck from two accidents and a wrecked back from a car accident, pushups might help me carry my D700, but I'd rather go with lighter gear. If anyone is looking for Nikon gear in excellent condition, my D700 has only 28,107 actuations and I have the amazing 24-70-mm f/2.8 and some other nice lenses I plan to sell. You can PM me on twitter @campyphotos or contact me through my website http://www.mariannecampolongphtography.com since the PM feature here is gone if anyone's interested in the gear - or if you have questions about the Olympus. 

Important for the OP: There are so many choices these days, it can make your head spin. I'd just suggest that getting a mirrorless system where you can upgrade by adding more lenses (I think some of the suggestions here are excellent point and shoots) will give you more room to grow in the future. It's tough to sell old equipment at a fraction of what you paid for it when you want to upgrade, (and really tough to sell cameras without interchangeable lenses), so IMHO, it's better to get equipment that gives you room to grow. A pocket camera is great to have as an extra - I still toss my Nikon P7000 in my bag when I travel as a great little backup - but as your main camera, I'd get the best mirrorless you can afford and slowly add lenses. 

I did a quick check and several of the Olympus EM-5 and E-10 models are on sale for around $800-900 with a lens - and some of the Panasonic Lumix models are on sale for under $600 with a lens. The RX100s have a higher MP count, but with a fixed lens it has to be very high caliber to give you a clean photo at 42MP - I'm curious if those who have the high pixel count RX100 models feel the need to downsize the photos to get clean images especially in shooting on other than bright sunny days?

If this is going to be your main camera and the prices are comparable, I'd opt for a system where you can add lenses rather than a fixed lens, because it gives you room to grow. Although I got a bad 7-14mm lens, I've tried others at PhotoExpo and the pro lenses you can upgrade to are truly amazing - I've heard nothing but raves about the 7-14mm too so I know it was just a dud and not the lens - the 17mm, 25mm and inexpensive 40-150mm (which I've seen on sale fo as little as $100) are all very sharp and clean. No issues with chroma on the 17mm and the 40-150mm gives nice reach since it's a 300mm equivalent and nice and sharp throughout the range. It also weighs noting. Just my two cents.

Full disclosure I have never tried anything in the RX100 range to compare. But I tried several Panasonic mirrorless at PhotoExpo 2 years ago and was impressed.

I use a tiny 11" wrap around my camera and I can fit the Olympus with the 17mm f/1.8 or 25mm f 1/8 in my pocketbook (the non-pro versions - tack sharp and fast) . In body image stabilization works great and if you want to shoot square photos, say for instagram, you can set it up and if you are shooting RAW or RAW + jpeg, you will get square photos in Lightroom, but you can hit crop and you will be able to undo and get the full horizontal version for Alamy. 

Good luck! 

Archived