Help upgrading camera

Anyone using PowerShot G7 X Mark II Wi-Fi 20.1MP 4.2x Optical Zoom Digital Camera - Black? To all photographer can u vote which one is better?

PowerShot G7 X Mark II Wi-Fi 20.1MP 4.2x Optical Zoom Digital Camera - Black

Or 

Sony Cyber-shot RX100 III 20.1MP 2.9x Optical Zoom Digital Camera - Black???

I need help making decision to which camera I need for upgrading having Nikon90 is pretty heavy for me....As I am have back injury...I just need a better camera small and light but a camera that suitable at Alamy.....

I own a Sony RX100 iii. It is an amazing camera, weighs nothing, fits in a pocket, and has a Zeiss zoom lens. I used to have a Nikon D90, and I now have two other Sony mirrorless systems: RX10 and a6000. The RX100/3 is the one I use most. 

Edo

I have a bit of a dodgy shoulder, so long days with heavy kit  are a struggle.  When I know my D800 will be too much and want to go light I use M43.  Have an EM mk1 for light which I use with 12-40 and Olympus 40-150/5.6 budget zoom.  Quality of the zoom good enough for QC and really light weight.  Problem is ultra wide - after weighing (no pun intended) options went for the Olympus 7-14/2.8 as unwilling to forego the ultra wide.  A bit of a lump but still a lot lighter than full frame ultra wide.

I needed a small camera as a second "go everywhere" camera for when I can't or don't want to bring the D750 along. I ended up with the Canon EO M3, their mirrorless camera. I couldn't justify the expense of the Sony. The Canon was reduced to half price so I went for it. It has its limitations, speed of operation being the main one, but as a walkabout camera its great. As a main camera I would not recommend it though as its AF is slow, and the camera pauses while it writes the data to the disk, so for brisk action shooting its no use. As a second camera its fine.

7 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Another vote for the Sony. I use mine 90% of the time instead of my Canon. So light and unassuming.

But I really, really prefer the Canon colours to the ones of the Sony RX100-3, though I also use this as 'an always at hand camera'.

Edited: Canon colours in general, I mean - as I refer to my full frame Canon and do not own. and haven't owned - a Canon PowerShot camera.

I have some of the RX100's, but not the mark III.

It can take quite a while before you'll have some keepers with such small cameras.

And you will need good Photoshop/Lightroom skills because of the small sensor.

Btw did you use the search function of this forum? I get 48 pages of posts about RX100.

It's in the upper right hand corner of this page.

wim

55 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

I have some of the RX100's, but not the mark III.

It can take quite a while before you'll have some keepers with such small cameras.

And you will need good Photoshop/Lightroom skills because of the small sensor.

Btw did you use the search function of this forum? I get 48 pages of posts about RX100.

It's in the upper right hand corner of this page.

wim

I have lots of keepers with the Sony.  Never had any issues with image quality.  The only time I every have issues is in using high ISOs in really dark conditions when I have to go handheld.

Jill

That sounds like an anti-Sony tech warning, Wim. Really? I've never had a QC failure with my RX100 iii.  That's never. The sensor in the RX100 iii is the same one I have in my RX10.

repetto-paris-shop-in-soho-in-new-york-c

I use this image as an example for three reasons: it's sharp at the center and on both edges, it's taken at f/2.8, and it's handheld in low light. 

When I was younger I was stronger, and I carried around a ridiculous amount of gear.  Anna is looking for something lighter and easier to deal with. I've found that these little Sonys fill that need. 

11 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

I have lots of keepers with the Sony.  Never had any issues with image quality.  The only time I every have issues is in using high ISOs in really dark conditions when I have to go handheld.

Jill

I'm a fan also, but in the history of this forum there are some who found the quality (far) below their personal standards.

And quite a few who had to adapt seriously after using big heavy full frame cameras for a long time. Me being one of them.

@Ed

I had 2 fails I think. One I had to re-work twice to get it approved.

If you read back some of the posts, you'll often see complaints and strategies to improve quality like reducing size.

So yes it's a fantastic line of cameras, capable of things other cameras cannot.

The Canon G7 probably uses the same sensor and has the same WiFi capabilities.

If I check the DPreview review of the G7 II, there's something strange. The conclusion is: we think that Canon offers a better user experience [than the Sony RX100's].

Now when you use the RX100 mkIII in the compare panel on that page, you'll get a totally different conclusion: On all accounts the Sony is better or far better. Except the price.

And now the conclusion is:

The PowerShot G9 X Mark II is a pocketable camera that packs a 1"-type sensor and 28-84mm equivalent F2.0-4.9 lens. On the surface it offers good build quality, a broad feature set, an intuitive touch-based interface and excellent connectivity. However, its lens is very soft, which greatly affects image quality, and battery life is poor.

So what about that higher price for the Sony?

In Canada the RX100mk3 is $878 Canadian and the G7mk2 is $899 Canadian!

wim

2 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

I'm a fan also, but in the history of this forum there are some who found the quality (far) below their personal standards.

And quite a few who had to adapt seriously after using big heavy full frame cameras for a long time. Me being one of them.

@Ed

I had 2 fails I think. One I had to re-work twice to get it approved.

If you read back some of the posts, you'll often see complaints and strategies to improve quality like reducing size.

So yes it's a fantastic line of cameras, capable of things other cameras cannot.

The Canon G7 probably uses the same sensor and has the same WiFi capabilities.

If I check the DPreview review of the G7 II, there's something strange. The conclusion is: we think that Canon offers a better user experience [than the Sony RX100's].

Now when you use the RX100 mkIII in the compare panel on that page, you'll get a totally different conclusion: On all accounts the Sony is better or far better. Except the price.

And now the conclusion is:

The PowerShot G9 X Mark II is a pocketable camera that packs a 1"-type sensor and 28-84mm equivalent F2.0-4.9 lens. On the surface it offers good build quality, a broad feature set, an intuitive touch-based interface and excellent connectivity. However, its lens is very soft, which greatly affects image quality, and battery life is poor.

So what about that higher price for the Sony?

In Canada the RX100mk3 is $878 Canadian and the G7mk2 is $899 Canadian!

wim

I have never had a full frame camera, so can't compare to that.  Nowhere in my budget.  I have a consumer level Canon (650) and it works well for me.  I use it now mostly for the long telephoto shots and use the Sony as a walkabout.  Can always have it in my purse.  Hard to carry around a DSLR everyday.

Jill

I use Sony full frame, crop frame (APS-C) and RX100 and RX100 mk3.

To my recollection there have been no CQ rejects of any image I have uploaded from these cameras.

Allan

That review is on the G9, Wim.

We're drifting some from Anna's OP.  Her stated concern was her back problem. She has narrowed her choice down to the two small cameras mentioned, and since they are both older models, I'll assume she has price in mind.  

The 25 images I uploaded to Alamy from the weekend just passed QC. They were all shot with the Sony RX100 iii.

I'm gonna take my Sony a6000 with the 10-18 zoom for a walk now.

Edo B)

I like my Sony RX100. I've got the MkIII and it never ceases to amaze me the IQ such a small camera can produce. Excellent lens.

Only negatives are I don't find the user interface/menus on Sony as user friendly as Canon, and the RX100 is slightly it's harder to hold (no finger grip).

If you get the Sony I strongly recommend buying the AG-R2 grip to stick on. It's well worth it.

Mark

7 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I like my Sony RX100. I've got the MkIII and it never ceases to amaze me the IQ such a small camera can produce. Excellent lens.

Only negatives are I don't find the user interface/menus on Sony as user friendly as Canon, and the RX100 is slightly it's harder to hold (no finger grip).

If you get the Sony I strongly recommend buying the AG-R2 grip to stick on. It's well worth it.

Mark

Thank you I'll search for AG-R2 grip

I had a Canon G10, a 14 megapixel older model.  Alamy made a good number of sales from the images I submitted but I wouldn't call it an upgrade from my Nikons. The zoom wasn't so great, it lacked interchangeable lenses and  I rarely shot above ISO 200.  Oh and there was shutter lag. Even so,  it was an OK camera to pop in my jersey while cycling.

If you want something better you probably need to spend a bit more.fairway-supermarket-tucked-under-the-wes

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

That review is on the G9, Wim.

You're right. That's very stupid of me.

The G7 now comes out slightly better with the  quality of the raws.

Optics still a bit behind.

Ergonomics and handling leaves Sony far behind and that's just the menu structure. Which we can all agree on is not very well uhh.. structured.

The right review here.

wim

There's nothing stupid about you, Wim.  Occasionally we might disagree, but I always take your information and opinion seriously. 

I must confess that as a longtime Nikon user, I could never feel comfortable owning a Canon.   :)

Edo,

I am a NIKON user all the way back to the SP and was a beta tester for the F4s and N90's and I have had CANON G series

cameras since the G2.  I still use my G9 as a pocket camera and to carry while skiing.  Alamy has licensed many of my images

shot with G series CANONs.  PS  the only 35mm film scanners I use are CANON FS 4000's,  great scanners and were way

a head of their time.

Yes I am now using NIKON D800's exclusively,  I just buy lots of external drives......

I had a very bad experience with SONY and will never buy another SONY product.

Archived