Poor-exposure understanding

Hi,  i'm trying to understand in the picture below that failed the process because of poor-exposure.  Is the threshold graph from gimp a good indicator of exposure? 

poor-exposure.jpg

Is the total exposure range to low because the it does not go near white 255 and falls of around 170 or is it that selection blue should fall under 5% black?

That is not the sort of image you need to be submitting for your first submission. All you are doing in the first place to get accepted by Alamy is proving you can take a properly exposed, naturally sharp picture. You should be just demonstrating photographic competence, the content is irrelevant. Once you are through the door you can then submit more creative stuff although it may fail or not sell. 

8 minutes ago, cheramu said:

Hi MDM,  i already passed qc. Just want to  get a better feeling about what will pass, fail and why so i can learn what to post with less fails in the future.

OK I assumed this was your first submission as you have no images showing. Some people suggest pushing the boundaries on the initial submission as you won't damage your QC record whereas you will if you keep submitting failing images after passing in the first place.

Just to add there is no strict requirement to reach 100% white - you just have to look at the millions of images that are underexposed either in camera or in development - but it is a guideline. Obviously there are many scenes that do not have a full tonal range as well and it would be silly to refuse these on that basis.

To be honest your image doesn't look so much underexposed as heavily manipulated. It does go to 100% white in places as well (eyedropper is better than histogram, never used GIMP so don't know of it has one).

2 hours ago, cheramu said:

Is the total exposure range to low because the it does not go near white 255 and falls of around 170 or is it that selection blue should fall under 5% black?

You can always upload somewhere else for display and e-mail contributor service and ask whether you should upload as photo or illustration.

This one passed as a photo a few years ago:

Big old oak tree with winter leafless branches in silhouette as a pen and ink, black and white, artistic illustration - Stock Image

EYG2WE

Wouldn't recommend to experiment too much at this stage to see where the limit is  :)

27 minutes ago, John Walker said:

Surely, if you have passed the initial QC your first images should show in your total images under your profile on the left?

Perhaps the OP hasn't keyworded them yet.

Gen

Hi John, gvallee is right and i did not tag the initial passed images yet, they are also not on sale. So to answer you're question passing you're initial QC does not relate to the total images under profile.

49 minutes ago, cheramu said:

Want to have a bit more uploaded and then spent a day tagging in one go. 

A tip: tag before uploading, your images will automatically go on sale after 24 hours if they have tags and a caption.

Best way is to use Bridge or LR to tag. Much quicker that way.

Hope this helps.

Gen

Archived