JeffGreenberg

summarize what sells in 25 words or less

30 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Here's what David Kilpatrick has to say on the subject, written a while ago, but very relevant.

Sad day when David left this forum.

I do remember that, Bryan. A lot of very relevant information here which may well answer lots of questions that are frequently asked over and over again. As far as stock is concerned, I have always maintained that it has to be relevant to the market (obvious!). I'm also impressed that he suggested that other work relevant to exhibitions, commissions, salons, and the like, is kept separate from stock - in the main this is the correct route to go and something I have always followed. Many moons ago I did try, just once, putting an International Salon acceptance into stock and it has never even been viewed! There is a difference, so in this context just think 'stock'.

Jim :) 

On 2/2/2018 at 10:57, Allan Bell said:

Love the aeroplane in the distance at top left.:D

Ohh dear! Now I am really showing my age.

Allan

Would you say that's a Cessna?

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Here's what David Kilpatrick has to say on the subject, written a while ago, but very relevant.

And number 27 explains one of the advantages of the old Image Manager. There was room for everything in the Comprehensive field and then you could pick different Main and Essential keywords for different images in a set. I am trying now to do something of the same with the supertags but it is not as flexible. This is me complaining again about the new Image Manager. I also always run out of space in 50 tags for a wild animal. Moaning, moaning.

Paulette

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NYCat said:

And number 27 explains one of the advantages of the old Image Manager. There was room for everything in the Comprehensive field and then you could pick different Main and Essential keywords for different images in a set. I am trying now to do something of the same with the supertags but it is not as flexible. This is me complaining again about the new Image Manager. I also always run out of space in 50 tags for a wild animal. Moaning, moaning.

Paulette

Paulette, here's a tip: keyword before uploading. Contrary to what Alamy says, you can upload more than 50 tags. You can't if you try to do so after upload.

Gen

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Paulette, here's a tip: keyword before uploading. Contrary to what Alamy says, you can upload more than 50 tags. You can't if you try to do so after upload.

Gen

Will the system still allow the additional tags to remain searchable, though or will they be automatically cut off?

In all seriousness (i was only half serious with that sexy shot), from my experience selling on other stock sites, I would say that what sells (commercially) is:

- An appealing place that people will want to visit, it helps if its immediately clear where the place is within a few seconds

- Somewhere that is trending or will be trending in the future. Since I'm a travel photographer it helps if the place is one that's "hot" at the moment, such as I just put on google a general term "top places to visit 2018" and clicked on the top result

- Accurate caption / keywords (as what others mentioned before)

- Copy space

- Whatever the buyer wants/needs ("known unknowns"

I've only sold 30 or so images on Alamy so I'm still figuring things out here, but I trust it's similar. Here's one from my Ouro Preto that I think fits the criteria above.

Ooops I think I went over 25 words lol

Brazilian flag in Ouro Preto, Brazil Stock Photo

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

Gen

Thank you. I'll have to give it a try. Of course I have a lot of older images with more than 50 tags and batch changing of keywords is then impossible. Even when I only have 45+ keywords on each image in a group the manager will tell me I have more than 50. I have found that I can save at that point and then try to do a few more clicks on the (very faint) faded tags and sometimes it lets me do them.

Paulette

5 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Certainly looks like a Cessna but which model is difficult to say. Hold on I will get my binoculars.;)

The other answer to your question is, "It's a Cessna.":D

Allan

7 hours ago, Colblimp said:

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Certainly looks like a Cessna but which model is difficult to say. Hold on I will get my binoculars.;)

The other answer to your question is, "It's a Cessna.":D

Allan

Actually it's "that's a Cessna".

Just call me a pedant ---- hang on, no you don't, I know where you're going with this! :D

On 2-2-2018 at 01:59, Brian Yarvin said:

Anything I don't shoot.

Time to shoot what you dont. ;-)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, losdemas said:

Will the system still allow the additional tags to remain searchable, though or will they be automatically cut off?

Very good point, I hadn't thought about that.

If that's the case, I wonder which tag Alamy considers the 51st. Alphabetically? I guess it would take too long to test.

I don't go over 50 tags on purpose. I just don't count them. It happens only occasionally when an image conveys various messages.

Gen

High-production-value, model-released, contemporary-styled, shot-for-a-defined-market with focus on:

- business

- lifestyle

- concepts

Add difficult-to-access to the above, and you've got yourself a nice well-paying niche?

Market for secondary-editorial, "found" images is not that big and is extremely crowded.

16 hours ago, losdemas said:

Actually it's "that's a Cessna".

Just call me a pedant ---- hang on, no you don't, I know where you're going with this! :D

:P

Allan

18 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Time to shoot what you dont. ;-)

It doesn't matter. Whatever it is, it won't.

She sells sea shells on the sea shore! 😉

significant buildings of all sorts in which

real world parallel lines are NOT distorted in the image...?

Edited by JeffGreenberg

On 05/02/2018 at 05:21, giphotostock said:

High-production-value, model-released, contemporary-styled, shot-for-a-defined-market with focus on:

- business

- lifestyle

- concepts

Add difficult-to-access to the above, and you've got yourself a nice well-paying niche?

There are bucketloads of that sort of image in many other places; hard to see why buyers would come to Alamy to look for it, unless it was extremely niche - possibly so niche that there is a very limited market for it.

But indeed, that's where the market is, though the competition is also very intense there.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

On 2/4/2018 at 04:20, Bryan said:

Thanks for posting that link, Bryan!  I read every word of his comments.  Now to work on implementing his advice.

Rick

5 hours ago, Rick Lewis said:

Thanks for posting that link, Bryan!  I read every word of his comments.  Now to work on implementing his advice.

Rick

+1

On 04/02/2018 at 10:20, Bryan said:

Thanks for that link Bryan - really excellent points and advice from David.