Images Sold in February (Max. 1 per day)

Hermit crab (Coenobita sp.) on the beach of West Island, Cocos Keeling, Indian Ocean Stock Photo

This is the third picture of a crab that's sold from my collection this month! All apparently to different buyers and for different purposes. A hitherto unsuspected niche market?

2 hours ago, Gary said:

Oh come on, Alamy. This is an image that took days to make. It's unique. It's especially popular in Poland because it features Polish fighter pilots. So Alamy is ... charging a premium? No, it's now knocking it out for infinite web use for ... $xxx. (That's not my share, that's the total). Not only is that deeply insulting to me, it is totally missing a trick on their part. When it's ripped off everywhere, as it will be, and ImageRights ask me how much it is normally licensed for ... well, you can write that script. 

http://www.alamy.com/image-details-popup.asp?Imageid=5460533D-2C6A-4B28-A7F9-4599B0E0F69A

I must confess that I'm ever more firmly in the camp of not revealing precise low licensing prices here. But this is the last time I'm going to mention this, (note to self), as it appears that many contributors believe that it is an irrelevance and I really value my time more than to continue arguing this point. I'll just end up getting frustrated and upset and leaving the forum rather than continuing to flog a dead horse. 

More to the point, though..Alamy is not the agency to align your images with if you are concerned about their value regarding 'uniqueness' or quality above others. You clearly have talents in this area and, yes, your images are unique and do have value. One would hope that you have had, and will continue to have, high value sales in the future, but Alamy as a sales outlet is not concerned with that - in the least. Ostensibly, at least, at the point of upload, every single image in this library has the same value and the same potential as every other - that's the beauty of it: the worth of the image is (pretty much) placed in the hands of the purchaser, the usage and the talents of the agent making the sale. Other factors will come into play, of course, including the history the purchaser has with Alamy, the quantity purchased, etc. etc.

I imagine that you sell on various POD sites and that you also sell the same images through other agencies? That being the case, you will likely be used to some (very) decent sales values. Rightly so. But you should then view Alamy as an additional income where your images will get sales at a very surprising range of values. Alamy may just as likely sell the very same image for $x.xx one day and $xxx.xx the next. If you are not happy with this, then perhaps you should restrict the images you sell here to those upon which you place a lower value? Because Alamy certainly isn't going change the way it sells images. 

As to the actual (offensively) low price which you mention: yes, I agree with you, it's pathetically poor. I presume that the image has sold via a distribution agent in Poland? This being the case, perhaps you should look at restricting the distribution outlets which you permit Alamy to use via your control panel? It's only just over a month to wait until you can do this (April). This might alleviate your pain a little! Bear in mind, however, that others (Wim springs to mind) have reported that, alongside low some very low value sales, they have also had some very decent ones from certain Eastern European countries. Up to you... 

Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best of luck in the future! :)

+1 for losdemas.

There's a difference in photography between an agent and a library.

Though a library may call itself an agency and an agency may call itself a library.

Or I should say: there's an agency that.. etc ;-)

On distributor sales:

Here's a list of mine from Aug-Jan, all gross, so you'll need your own calculator.

No region or country in this list, because at the time that didn't seem relevant.

wim

9 hours ago, Gary said:

Oh come on, Alamy. This is an image that took days to make. It's unique. It's especially popular in Poland because it features Polish fighter pilots. So Alamy is ... charging a premium? No, it's now knocking it out for infinite web use for ...(redacted) (That's not my share, that's the total). Not only is that deeply insulting to me, it is totally missing a trick on their part. When it's ripped off everywhere, as it will be, and ImageRights ask me how much it is normally licensed for ... well, you can write that script. 

http://www.alamy.com/image-details-popup.asp?Imageid=5460533D-2C6A-4B28-A7F9-4599B0E0F69A

I too have a mix of distro prices. So do we all. European buyers often prefer their mother-tongue distros, so Alamy's new dedicated sites should help, although not in Polish yet.

If I ever need an example price to quote for an infringement, at least no infringer, or his lawyer, will be able to search for a post on this public forum and find out that I licenced it for. (redacted).. because I don't quote low prices here either.

10 hours ago, Gary said:

Oh come on, Alamy. This is an image that took days to make. It's unique. It's especially popular in Poland because it features Polish fighter pilots. So Alamy is ... charging a premium? No, it's now knocking it out for infinite web use for ... $2.82. (That's not my share, that's the total). Not only is that deeply insulting to me, it is totally missing a trick on their part. When it's ripped off everywhere, as it will be, and ImageRights ask me how much it is normally licensed for ... well, you can write that script. 

Can someone please remove the red arrow I accidentally struck on this post? 

Sorry Gary!

1 hour ago, Kathy deWitt said:

Can someone please remove the red arrow I accidentally struck on this post? 

Sorry Gary!

No harm done. I'll probably delete the original myself. Just felt like letting off steam. I've had plenty of higher figures too, but it seems weird that Alamy would sell anything for so little. 

On 2/22/2018 at 09:06, LSP said:

Hermit crab (Coenobita sp.) on the beach of West Island, Cocos Keeling, Indian Ocean Stock Photo

This is the third picture of a crab that's sold from my collection this month! All apparently to different buyers and for different purposes. A hitherto unsuspected niche market?

So today this sale was refunded... and then re-licensed again for three times the original price. Plot twist!

33 minutes ago, LSP said:

So today this sale was refunded... and then re-licensed again for three times the original price. Plot twist!

I would make it the cover image.

It would also be perfect as a poster. A catch light in the right eye and a better definition of its form on the right would help a lot though.

wim

Fully agree re catchlight and framing Wim! The crab itself was not particularly cooperative though. When I made this picture I was just mucking about and had no idea someone might consider it cover shot material. I mean, it's a hermit crab. If there was demand for hermit crab cover shots surely something like this would be more in-demand: http://www.alamy.com/image-details-popup.asp?&n=NaN&imageid={93F2F1BC-C08B-48F2-A483-939AF3CEC332} ...but it's never sold.

Archived