DJI Phantom 4 vs Phantom 4 Pro

42 minutes ago, Justin Case said:

Can you define the worlds"work commercially"?,
because the CAA stricly avoids doing it

Keith did answer very clearly.

You take images or video with the drone. You put that work up for sale on whatever image library and earn money from the sale of them. That is commercial work.

Keith has done what I would like to do. The rules are there for a reason and if it means jumping through the hoops to get imagery that other can't because they aren't licensed then so be it. 

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

If the people are 'under the control' of the operator (as they could well be at a private function such as a wedding)  then it's perfectly legal to overfly them...the 50m seperation requirement no longer applies

km

Does that include pilots without a PfCO, who are flying illegally for commercial gain I wonder?

12 hours ago, Jools Elliott said:

Keith has done what I would like to do. The rules are there for a reason and if it means jumping through the hoops to get imagery that other can't because they aren't licensed then so be it. 

Ditto, and that's why I've decided not to go down this route. By the time I've bought a drone with either the carrying capacity for a decent camera (or a built in sensor of acceptable quality), plus paid to get my CAA qualifications, it's unlikely I'll cover the costs in commercial fees and stock sales in a reasonable space of time.

Before buying my first drone, a couple of years ago, I made inquiries about the pfco exam.
They asked me why I wanted to get it.
When I said that I might try to put a few video clip for sale on stock agencies everybody laughed at me.
Maybe I reconsider the idea of the pfco and make new inquiries, or else I sell my drones

"A commercial operation is defined as:
 ‘any operation of an aircraft ....

• which is available to the public

in return for remuneration or other valuable consideration."

Selling photos, to the public (such as via a stock site) , for money, is unequivocally  a commercial activity

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Aircraft/Unmanned-aircraft/Small-drones/Regulations-relating-to-the-commercial-use-of-small-drones/

Loks like you were talking to the wrong people....

km

Not to mention public liability insurance to consider which any photographer using a drone is surely going to have if using the drone for monetary (commercial in other words) gain. Your normal photographic public liability insurance (if you have that of course) almost certainly would not cover you in the event of an accident with a drone. You would need to explicitly declare commercial drone use to your insurers for sure.

Thinking about it,  I wonder do non-commercial drone users have any form of insurance. What about the person who flew the drone over the Newport - Spurs match last week. Imagine if it fell and hit Harry Kane - they'd be out of pocket for a few lifetimes I guess. 

You won't get your PfCO from the CAA without a valid current insurance policy with at least £1m public liablity (plus other third party and war risks coverage), and you won't get that insurance without having passed the training in the first place.....

km

4 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Selling photos, to the public (such as via a stock site) , for money, is unequivocally  a commercial activity....

I can see how it's considered to be a commercial activity but I wouldn't agree that it's unequivocal, because the CAA guidance (as previously referred to) is somewhat vague in some areas. The legislation and guidance (as per the CAA website, admittedly not the detailed statutory instruments / regs etc ) isn't nailed down and I can see how some people can read it in different ways.

For example, the CAA advice, in part, reads - the essential question that needs to be asked is “what is the purpose of the (specific) flight?”   i.e."If I were not receiving payment/valuable consideration, would I still be looking to fly?"

I can see some people reading that and thinking 'well, I wasn't looking to get paid and was just flying it, I took a shot that I liked and sold it'. Again, I'm not saying it's the correct interpretation but the advice is poorly written.

Surely that would be one area of advice that would be most useful in the CAA guidance notes regarding 'How commercial operations are defined', i.e. advice for those people (including professional photographers) who own a drone and decide to try and sell the odd photo from it via a website or stock, even if that's not the main purpose of their drone ownership / usage. The confusion is compounded by a video interview a CAA rep did last year when he was asked what commercial purposes means. His advice was 'If you know you're going to make money from your drone flying before you do it. So if you've been arranged to do wedding photography or if an estate agent's asked you to film a property and you've negotiated a fee in advance. That's commercial work and that's when you need commercial approval'. He then went on to explain training course etc. No mention nor clarification of ad hoc photography or photography ancillary to the flight at all. That would have been more useful.

So I don't disagree with the general point; I just don't think the guidance is very helpful and I can understand why some people who (for whatever reason) decide not to enquire properly can get caught out.

Of course you need personal liability insurance to be able to fly a drone legally for commercial work, and I would suggest that ALL drone pilots get PLI too even for private use.

I think the cheapest way to get this insurance would be through the BMFA. You do not have to be a member of a flying club as you can join as a "country member".

BMFA for those who do not know is the "British Model Flying Association".

Allan

2 hours ago, Gary Clarke said:

So I don't disagree with the general point; I just don't think the guidance is very helpful and I can understand why some people who (for whatever reason) decide not to enquire properly can get caught out.

If i was putting aerial images up for sale on a major international stock photograophy website without a PfCO , i don't think that's an accidental oversight or a 'marginal' interpretation of the law....

38 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

If i was putting aerial images up for sale on a major international stock photograophy website without a PfCO , i don't think that's an accidental oversight or a 'marginal' interpretation of the law....

Not exactly the point I was making. The CAA guidance is vague in certain areas and therefore potentially misleading, irrespective of the legislation.

Archived