JeffGreenberg

ACR: "save image settings in Camera RAW Database"

Am reprocessing 2008 images (very quickly, but still better than originally);

was given 2 choices, save image settings in

a. xmp file

b. Camera RAW database

chose latter thinking it was saved within each image, but...

1. image file modified dates are not changing to 2018 (assume therefore file itself was NOT modified???)

2. where is this database?

3. will it transfer with RAWs when I copy to other external HD, other laptop, etc.

4. can I copy database to wherever RAWs are backed up?

thanks in advance (camera in 2008 was probably Canon 20D)

update: opened same images "other" external HD & without copying EHDa changed images to EHDb,

EHDb images had all the changes, so CameraRAW database must be within program on laptop?

But what folder?  What if another laptop with ACR were to open those EHDa EHDb images?

They'd be unchanged because other laptop doesn't have database with changes....???!!

Edited by JeffGreenberg

Are you talking Photoshop or Lightroom? I only know Photoshop.

xmp files sit alongside the RAW files in the same folder, but I think they are "invisible" unless you make them visible in your file manager. 

In order to change the processing to the latest version, you need to click on the camera calibration icon (looks like a little camera) in ACR and set it to the latest version in the process drop-down menu at the top. 

CS6.

didn't select xmp, selected database;

have "see hidden files" selected in Windows.

can't find Camera RAW database folder in order to

copy it to other laptop with CS6 so I can see changes there, too...!!

Edited by JeffGreenberg

Very busy right now but it is all in the PSCS6 reference manual I gave you the link to a few weeks back. I would advise you to export setting to XMP and then work on from there. Forget the Camera Raw database and always write settings to xmp. It's all in the manual and well explained there. 

Photoshop CS6 manual

I would advise you to export setting to XMP

Righto.  From now on.

But (901) Jan 2008 already completed via "database" choice.

Wondering if way to direct "database" to create XMPs...?

10 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

I would advise you to export setting to XMP

Righto.  From now on.

But (901) Jan 2008 already completed via "database" choice.

Wondering if way to direct "database" to create XMPs...?

That is what I'm saying - what to do now with your old files o you can modify them now rather than start from scratch. Forget about trying to transfer the existing database and instead export your settings as xmp. It expains how to do this on page 332 of the manual: open the raw files you want to work on in ACR, select the thumbnails and then choose Export to XMP in the ACR menu (at the right hand side, at the top right of  the basic panel). Then copy all your files with the xmp sidecars to your new machine.

Going forward you are better to choose xmp rather than the database. For one thing, given that you don't even know where it is located (also in the manual in the section on Camera Raw), chances are you have never backed it up so a crash or loss of the machine would mean losing everything. But better than that learn Lightroom - it makes all the file management a lot easier.

Edited by MDM