Quick question, which I can't see answered anywhere by searching the forum.

Does anyone ever put a border - white or black - around images? I might for a photography competition, but have no idea whether that is advisable for stock photography.

No. I was doing it for some Stockimo submissions but that question was answered as not being advisable. The client wants all the pixels available for their use. I think the same would be true in the main collection. An obvious vignette would also interfere with the client wanting their own crop.

Paulette

1 minute ago, NYCat said:

No. I was doing it for some Stockimo submissions but that question was answered as not being advisable. The client wants all the pixels available for their use. I think the same would be true in the main collection. An obvious vignette would also interfere with the client wanting their own crop.

Paulette

Ok, ta very much.

7 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I once had a failure for a one-pixel border I had accidentally left on an image - I hadn't spotted it but some sharp-eyed person in QC did..!

Probably just an enlarged canvas you hadn't cropped tightly enough? Have been there also - but found it myself and reuploaded as I didn't want any to see my lack of quality :)

As to real borders Alamy is quite clear in their terms and guidelines that they don't want them.

Niels

1 minute ago, Niels Quist said:

Probably just an enlarged canvas you hadn't cropped close enough? Have been there also - but found it myself and reuploaded as I didn't want any to see my lack of quality :)

As to real borders Alamy is quite clear in their terms and guidelines that they don't want them.

Niels

Thanks. I think that question has been answered and settled!

Just now, Niels Quist said:

Sorry Sally.

It wasn't to be rude.

You seem more experienced than I am here.

Niels

I didn't take it as such and I am sorry if my reply appeared to be curt.  it wasn't meant to be so.  Just grateful for all of the responses and glad that there is such a clear easy answer to the question.

As for experience, I still feel very much a newbie. Less than a year on here....

36 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

Probably just an enlarged canvas you hadn't cropped tightly enough? Have been there also - but found it myself and reuploaded as I didn't want any to see my lack of quality :)

Niels

Sorry, off topic but may be of interest - I discovered later that it was the (Photoshop) Lens Correction filter that had caused it.  In the 'Auto Correction' tab dialogue I had the 'Chromatic Aberration' tick-box selected but not the 'Auto Scale Image' tick-box.  This created a one-pixel border - actually just on the right and bottom edges when I tried it just now, but may be different with other lens/camera combinations.  No problems when Auto-Scale was selected.

I once had a QC fail after uploading a shot where I had corrected perspective on an architectural shot. It's quite easy to leave just a little black edge on one or two corners. Not strictly a border but enough for a fail. So I'm extra careful if correcting perspectives or levelling horizons

6 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

I once had a QC fail after uploading a shot where I had corrected perspective on an architectural shot. It's quite easy to leave just a little black edge on one or two corners. Not strictly a border but enough for a fail. So I'm extra careful if correcting perspectives or levelling horizons

If you are using Lightroom, then clicking the Constrain Crop box at the bottom of the Transform panel solves this as it keeps the crop within the image area.

Archived