Sign in to follow this  
John Mitchell

Common flower?

Does anyone know what kind of flower this is? I think it might be fairly common.

close-up-of-a-bright-orange-flower-in-su

Search  Zinnia

Radim:)

A Zinnia in January John?  What kind of winter are you having on that west coast?

Some kind of marigold maybe, but I wouldn't want to guess which variety. The foliage might help to narrow it down.

35 minutes ago, Reimar said:

A Zinnia in January John?  What kind of winter are you having on that west coast?

It's always summer in Lotus Land. B)

19 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Some kind of marigold maybe, but I wouldn't want to guess which variety. The foliage might help to narrow it down.

I'm thinking tagetes marigold perhaps. But I'm not sure...

Edited by John Mitchell

I don't think it's a marigold since they have a very cut leaf.

3 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I don't think it's a marigold since they have a very cut leaf.

Yes, leaves are wrong too.

3 hours ago, Gennadii Rybalov said:

If I'm not mistaken - Zinnia elegans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinnia_elegans

I think that you might be correct, Gennadii. Zinnia elegans could be the scientific name for the Magellan Orange Zinnia.

Mine was photographed in late summer after all the seeds had disappeared (I guess).

Edited by John Mitchell

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

Looks like a Chrysanthemum to me.

CHR-562z.jpg

NO! I am wrong.  Please ignore this post.

Allan

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sue Heaton said:

Looks like a pot marigold to me.

Leaves and shape of petals wrong, I believe. Also bloom too big for marigold. Went with Zinnia.

Edited by John Mitchell

That's definitely an orange-colored flower of some kind . . . or maybe a vegetable. Hmm. It might be the very rare snake-eating flower of the Amazon, last seen near the third bush from the left as you enter from Brasilia. :wacko:  

Damn, I don't know! In the city here we only see flowers in shops, and they're expensive. Got any dog questions? 

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Damn, I don't know! In the city here we only see flowers in shops, and they're expensive. Got any dog questions? 

Woof?

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's definitely an orange-colored flower of some kind . . . or maybe a vegetable. Hmm. It might be the very rare snake-eating flower of the Amazon, last seen near the third bush from the left as you enter from Brasilia. :wacko:  

What Ed really wants to know is: can you eat it? With some lovely pasta?

A message from the "other forum".... from Geoff.....

can some tell John Mitchell that it's a double form of English marigold Calendula cv. Note the leaves.

5 hours ago, Martyn said:

A message from the "other forum".... from Geoff.....

can some tell John Mitchell that it's a double form of English marigold Calendula cv. Note the leaves.

Thanks for the breaking news. So I guess Geoff means this one, late in its blooming cycle?

So I'm now down to Magellan Orange Zinnia or English Marigold Calendula. Is it possible to have a show of hands?

P.S. What does "double form" mean?

Edited by John Mitchell

I don't know a lot about flowers but when I was a little girl I helped my grandmother in our garden and she gave me my own little plot where I planted zinnias. Definitely a zinnia - not sure what type but a zinnia. 

I think double form means twice as many petals - so less like a daisy and more like a ... zinnia.

Judging by the leaves, I would stick with zinnia.  Most marigolds have just too finely cut leaves for a match.  But hey, I'm no horticulturist, so I hate to go against Geoff.

50 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I think double form means twice as many petals - so less like a daisy and more like a ... zinnia.

Judging by the leaves, I would stick with zinnia.  Most marigolds have just too finely cut leaves for a match.  But hey, I'm no horticulturist, so I hate to go against Geoff.

A double dose of petals makes sense. I'm obviously no horticulturist either. Perhaps I should just default to "pretty orange flower" or give it to Edo for pasta or salad makings. B)

P.S. The leaves do look a bit too chunky to me for a marigold. But what do I know? Not much.

Edited by John Mitchell

Well you must know something more than me because a search for "orange zinnia" has your image as number 2 out of more than 1800 images!  Nicely done.