Alamy

The $100,000+ club

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Is there anybody in the $1,000,000 club?

That crossed my mind too. That would be a far more impressive target. 

Is this for people who have grossed $100,000 or netted $100,000 (or more)?

Edited by Michael Ventura

35 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Is this for people who have grossed $100,000 or netted $1000,000 (or more)?

I decided to have a look at how many of our photographers have made at least $100,000 worth of sales on Alamy alone, and my list ran into several hundred, many of which have actually made several hundred thousand dollars worth of sales (but I’ll stick to calling this the $100+k club as it has a nice ring to it).

So it sounds like Gross sales

42 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I decided to have a look at how many of our photographers have made at least $100,000 worth of sales on Alamy alone, and my list ran into several hundred, many of which have actually made several hundred thousand dollars worth of sales (but I’ll stick to calling this the $100+k club as it has a nice ring to it).

So it sounds like Gross sales

If it is gross, I'm surprised only a few hundred out of 60,000 contributors have made $50,000 plus net, given so many have been contributing for over 10 years. 

5 minutes ago, andremichel said:

If it is gross, I'm surprised only a few hundred out of 60,000 contributors have made $50,000 plus net, given so many have been contributing for over 10 years. 

I'm not at all surprised. I assume that a very large percentage of that 60,000 contributors are inactive.

It would be interesting to know something about how long/how quickly some contributors have reached this level of sales. 

• Upvote 1

On 30/01/2018 at 13:16, geogphotos said:

It would be interesting to know something about how long/how quickly some contributors have reached this level of sales. 

In my  case i hit $100k about 4 years after starting here.....

km

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2018 at 14:16, geogphotos said:

13 years.

And you?

wim

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

13 years.

And you?

wim

9 years.

More what I was thinking was how much harder it must be to do so now.

How it would take longer starting from zero images to get $100k sales than it did in the past.

48 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

9 years.

How it would take longer starting from zero images to get $100k sales than it did in the past.

Hi Ian,

I just had my first sale so I’ll start the timer and let you know when i hit $100k. Don’t hold your breath. 😉

Angela

43 minutes ago, ACC said:

Hi Ian,

I just had my first sale so I’ll start the timer and let you know when i hit $100k. Don’t hold your breath. 😉

Angela

Best of luck! :D

Perhaps I better edit that 'best of luck' now that I've seen where you pics are of! 

I spotted the Kesgrave Jubilee hall straight away but lots of other familiar places. 

Congratulations on your first sale!

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Best of luck! :D

Perhaps I better edit that 'best of luck' now that I've seen where you pics are of! 

I spotted the Kesgrave Jubilee hall straight away but lots of other familiar places. 

Congratulations on your first sale!

Thanks 😄. Looking at some of your recent stuff (aviation heritage museum, Ipswich docks) I’m surprised we havent bumped into each other.  I’ll be looking out for you now!

2 hours ago, ACC said:

Thanks 😄. Looking at some of your recent stuff (aviation heritage museum, Ipswich docks) I’m surprised we havent bumped into each other.  I’ll be looking out for you now!

I'll have to get that blue scarf out and wrap it around my head :)

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I'll have to get that blue scarf out and wrap it around my head :)

Ian, are you a Blue Sikh or just covering up a bad haircut?

14 hours ago, geogphotos said:

9 years.

Compare your current RPI with what it was a couple of years after you started here (2005), and it will give you a clue of the up hill climb faced by newbies. 

I wonder if there are more than a handful of $100,000 clubbers amongst those that joined Alamy after 2008.

21 minutes ago, andremichel said:

Compare your current RPI with what it was a couple of years after you started here (2005), and it will give you a clue of the up hill climb faced by newbies. 

I wonder if there are more than a handful of $100,000 clubbers amongst those that joined Alamy after 2008.

That's what I was thinking.

Are there any post circa 2008/2009 'zero image starters' who are at $100k?

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ian, are you a Blue Sikh or just covering up a bad haircut?

Not much hair to care about :)

The blue scarf pic was taken in Morocco just before we went camel trekking. It seemed to be part of the deal for the guide to drag everybody over to a shop run by a 'friend' to buy expensive scarves. 

Started late 2004, took 9.5 years to hit $100,000 gross; just about to hit $200,000 in the next month or two, so second $100,000 has taken 4.5 years

Kumar (the Doc one)

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Started late 2004, took 9.5 years to hit $100,000 gross; just about to hit $200,000 in the next month or two, so second $100,000 has taken 4.5 years

Kumar (the Doc one)

You'll be featured in the 4th blog??? :D

26 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

You'll be featured in the 4th blog??? :D

Ha Ha! Doubt it Matt - there are many other more high-profile contributors than me!

Kumar (the doc one)