Sierra to High Sierra

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Are compatibility problems with Adobe and other apps still happening?

I'm now using the latest edition of iMac 5k Retina machine (2017) and running High Sierra, (10.13.2), with zero problems with all programs, including Nik Collection, with one exception.  The one exception is a very old (8 yrs old) program I use for invoicing and pricing jobs. (Blinkbid).  I have the stand alone version that no longer qualifies for updates.  It works fine except for when I close it, an error message pops up saying it shut down unexpectedly.  It still gives me invoices and usage rights etc.

I've had no problems so far.

Rick

Hello Ed, I use a iMac 27 a 2015 model and using High Sierra version 10.13.2 and Lightroom 6.8 with no trouble at all the same on a 2017 macbook pro. The only troube I have is using Nikon view on the Imac which keeps crashing but run fine on the Macbook pro. Unsure about the Nik software. Hope this is some help.

alan

Thanks, people -- that's very helpful.

Like Betty, I'm sick of being nudged everyday by Apple to get High Sierra. 

I have Adobe CC now, and my workflow usually moves from LR to Capture NX2 to PS. I've sold off all my Nikon gear and use three Sony mirrorless systems now.

Edo 

I searched the ‘net, and ignoring old posts, it seems there are still problems with the Nik suite and  NX2. I think there are more problems with Apple, less with PCs. 

Some people have figured out workarounds involving LR.  Not being technical, I’m afraid to try those.  I’m not ready to give up Nik.

I'm holding off for now. 

But then, maybe I’m being too cautious. Adobe needs to fix this. 

Not everyone who have posted in this thread have said whether they’re using Mac or PC, or whether they use Nik or NX2. 

I do know Rick had a new shiny Mac and Nik works, but how about older Macs? And few, it seems, use NX2.

Betty

Oh boy. My iMac was bought in 2010.  

I used the do the first half of my workflow in NX2 before getting LR. More recently, I use just one tool in NX2 -- the U Points Color Control Point. I have Nik on my stand-alone PS CS5, but I've never used it. It is my understanding that the Nik suite does not have that tool, which allows to select and change brightness, contrast, and saturation (and the color) on a small selected area. I'm sure (actually I'm not sure of anything) I can get Nik on PS CC and maybe on LR CC too. 

This is turning into exactly what I feared it would:  trying to clean out a raccoon nest in the basement and finding that there's a rat nest nearby.

Edo

43 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I used the do the first half of my workflow in NX2 before getting LR. More recently, I use just one tool in NX2 -- the U Points Color Control Point. I have Nik on my stand-alone PS CS5, but I've never used it. It is my understanding that the Nik suite does not have that tool, which allows to select and change brightness, contrast, and saturation (and the color) on a small selected area. I'm sure (actually I'm not sure of anything) I can get Nik on PS CC and maybe on LR CC too. 

This is turning into exactly what I feared it would:  trying to clean out a raccoon nest in the basement and finding that there's a rat nest nearby.

Edo

If you are only using NX2 to do local editing, LR has some great tools nowadays that do localised editing and they are not at all difficult to learn. The advantage of course is that all the work is done on the raw file in a single environment - quicker and better quality results.

Ahh, the Wildlife Queen of New York has spoken!

I just found Viveza 2 in the Nik group on my CS5 stand alone . . . and it seems to do exactly what the tool I've been using in NX2 does! Thank you thank you thank you! :D

And thank you, Michael. I will be looking at some videos to get a better idea of the changes I should make. I also need to download Nik and maybe some other apps for the Adobe CC things I'm now using. 

Edo, the Irish Romano from Brooklyn

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo

Ed

There's a U point control on every area of the Niks suite. Colour control can be found in colour effects> white balance wherein you can opt for global or localised colour correction. You can (should you wish) go global and then eliminate/reduce areas to your satisfaction. It's very controllable. Analogue effects also does a great job in sorting colour, which will also handle Brightness, saturation and contrast. In short, Niks has literally everything needed to fine tune a RAW file. Presets can be made for taste etc. Over here I have a constant battle with the local skin colour coming out very orange. They don't have Tango Man in Thailand.  So, Silver Effects>blue filter>reduce opacity to 20%>voila, problem solved. Etc, etc, etc. 

Give it a run, you'll be surprised. 

17 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

My skin-color memory of South East Asia remembers Indonesians as having the most golden orange skin. Me? In winter I look more like the Walking Dead. 

Thanks for the tech tip.

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I searched the ‘net, and ignoring old posts, it seems there are still problems with the Nik suite and  NX2. I think there are more problems with Apple, less with PCs. 

Some people have figured out workarounds involving LR.  Not being technical, I’m afraid to try those.  I’m not ready to give up Nik.

I'm holding off for now. 

Not everyone who have posted in this thread have said whether they’re using Mac or PC, or whether they use Nik or NX2. 

I do know Rick had a new shiny Mac and Nik works, but how about older Macs? And few, it seems, use NX2.

Betty

I'm on a Mac with High Sierra and do not have any issues with Nik Collection.  Don't know anything about NX2.  I have 3 different Macs, different ages and none have issues with NIK on High Sierra

1 hour ago, ReeRay said:

Ed

There's a U point control on every area of the Niks suite. Colour control can be found in colour effects> white balance wherein you can opt for global or localised colour correction. You can (should you wish) go global and then eliminate/reduce areas to your satisfaction. It's very controllable. Analogue effects also does a great job in sorting colour, which will also handle Brightness, saturation and contrast. In short, Niks has literally everything needed to fine tune a RAW file. Presets can be made for taste etc. Over here I have a constant battle with the local skin colour coming out very orange. They don't have Tango Man in Thailand.  So, Silver Effects>blue filter>reduce opacity to 20%>voila, problem solved. Etc, etc, etc. 

Give it a run, you'll be surprised. 

Thank you, ReeRay. I realize I left a lot out of my reply. Viveza was the first one I used so it popped into my mind. I mostly use ColorEfex Pro now and, of course, when I am selecting areas  U point must be what is used. Haven't really thought about it. I just use it by habit.

Paulette

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I'm holding off for now. 

Betty

Betty, to my great surprise, ( :P ),  I just fired up my old copy of Capture NX2 and it works perfectly.  I bought the Nik collection, years ago, to go with it (version 3) and all the Nik filters work with it as well.

I can't speak to how High Sierra will work on older machines, but I've had no issues with software with that one exception, Blinkbid, which I doubt too many here have.  I have the Nik collection (v4) and they work as advertised.  I've had zero problems with LR or Photoshop CC.  I primarily use Capture One Pro 11 now for processing and have noticed it is not as responsive as LR but that is exactly the way it ran before I upgraded from El Capitan to High Sierra.

Rick

2 minutes ago, Rick Lewis said:

Betty, to my great surprise, ( :P ),  I just fired up my old copy of Capture NX2 and it works perfectly.  I bought the Nik collection, years ago, to go with it (version 3) and all the Nik filters work with it as well.

I can't speak to how High Sierra will work on older machines, but I've had no issues with software with that one exception, Blinkbid, which I doubt too many here have.  I have the Nik collection (v4) and they work as advertised.  I've had zero problems with LR or Photoshop CC.  I primarily use Capture One Pro 11 now for processing and have noticed it is not as responsive as LR but that is exactly the way it ran before I upgraded from El Capitan to High Sierra.

Rick

I don’t use Capture NX2, but once upon a time I did. I think I lost it when I switched from PC to Mac. But Ed uses it, so I was addressing his concerns.

You got your new iMac with High Sierra pre-installed. It never had any of the older ones installed. I’m wondering if that makes a difference, caused incompatibility of apps in upgrading from El Capitan, Sierra and such? I’m showing my ignorance, but I’m still skeptical.

6 hours ago, tarsierspectral said:

I'm on a Mac with High Sierra and do not have any issues with Nik Collection.  Don't know anything about NX2.  I have 3 different Macs, different ages and none have issues with NIK on High Sierra

That sounds promising. We’re there choices to make installing High Sierra where the wrong choice might give problems? Being non-technical, I probably would make a wrong choice. :D

14 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I don’t use Capture NX2, but once upon a time I did. I think I lost it when I switched from PC to Mac. But Ed uses it, so I was addressing his concerns.

You got your new iMac with High Sierra pre-installed. It never had any of the older ones installed. I’m wondering if that makes a difference, caused incompatibility of apps in upgrading from El Capitan, Sierra and such? I’m showing my ignorance, but I’m still skeptical.

You probably know more than I do.  :-)  I think you're smart in not upgrading until you're sure the bugs are worked out.  I always fall for going with the newest shiny bits and usually end up paying the price for it.  I'm actually quite surprised the migration from one computer to another went so seamlessly.

If you are happy with what you are currently running, OS wise, I would just stay with it.  You will still get security updates unless you are running El Capitan or older.  This is the last year for support for El Capitan I believe.

Rick

11 hours ago, MDM said:

If you are only using NX2 to do local editing, LR has some great tools nowadays that do localised editing and they are not at all difficult to learn. The advantage of course is that all the work is done on the raw file in a single environment - quicker and better quality results.

Actually, I found that I had Nik's Viveza 2 sitting in my LR Classic CC. I ran a couple of test images though it and found it user friendly. No problems. 

However, without using a stopwatch, I can tell you that using NX2 instead of Viveza 2 is smoother and quicker. With V2 I'm working on the RAW file; with NX2 I'm working on a 16-bit tiff. I don't see that that makes any difference. 

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Actually, I found that I had Nik's Viveza 2 sitting in my LR Classic CC. I ran a couple of test images though it and found it user friendly. No problems. 

However, without using a stopwatch, I can tell you that using NX2 instead of Viveza 2 is smoother and quicker. With V2 I'm working on the RAW file; with NX2 I'm working on a 16-bit tiff. I don't see that that makes any difference. 

OK to clarify first of all I wasn't referring to VIveza as I have never used the NIk collection (it's on the todo list but not towards the top). I was just talking about local editing in LR using the LR local editing tools (which have advanced a lot in recent versions) versus converting the raw to a TIFF or whatever and working on that in NX2 (or PS for that matter). The speed advantage I meant was simply that you do everything in LR so you don't have to convert and open the file in a different program.

But more importantly in terms of quality, it is far better in many circumstances to do this localised work on the raw file in LR. For example, there is better highlight recovery, you can change local white balance more accurately, noise reduction is far better done on the raw and so on. These are not just theoretical considerations. They have real practical value.

For example, imagine a contrasty image with lit and shadow areas. Using a single white balance over an entire image will often not give accurate or visually pleasing results as lit areas are normally a lot warmer than shadow areas so the different areas require different treatment. Also the shadow areas are likely to have lot more noise than the lit areas, especially noticeable if the shadows are lightened. Both noise reduction and white balancing are far more effective when done on the raw than the converted image. And there are lots of other examples. 

Archived